I fail at reading fine print

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Jakey The Avatar
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

I fail at reading fine print

Post by Jakey The Avatar »

My bother (being a totally awesome baller) bought me an XFX 6970 for Xmas this year, and as much as I love it, the fan was WAY too loud for my taste. So I decided that it was finally time for me to venture into the deep end of the pool and get me some liquid cooling.

Now, allow to to preface this next part by saying, I am (occasionally) an idiot #-o . I ordered an EK Radeon HD 6970 VGA Liquid Cooling Block for my XFX HD6970 without realizing that there were two different versions of the XFX 6970 that look almost identical and are listed under the same model number.

So I now have a waterblock that doesn't fit my card.

No problem, new plan:
Step 1. Buy correct waterblock for the card I already own.
Step 2. Buy correct card for the waterblock that I bought by mistake.
Step 3. Liquid cooled Crossfire!

But now I am now gunshy. Through vigorous research (by which I mean a google search that lead me to several other people who made the exact same mistake I did) I found the correct waterblock for the card I already own.
However, I cannot locate a 6970 I am 100% sure is "reference" design and will fit the EK Radeon HD 6970 VGA Liquid Cooling Block that I bought by mistake.

The only card on the EK compatibility list that I can find (that doesn't have someone posting "Hey, I bought one of these and didn't get the reference design like it shows in the picture. Buyer Beware!") is the Diamond HD 6970 (6970PE52G) which, according to Newegg is this.

Do any of the learned scholars here have any divine insight to send my way? [-o<
You move north.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I fail at reading fine print

Post by Apoptosis »

can they not exchange it for you? You might be out shipping costs, but should the most logical.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Getting a refund on the wrong block is better than buying an expensive card just because you have it.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Frozen CPU is a good company to deal with, return the block you have now then get the proper block to fit it. Now a word to the wise, run the water blocks in parallel with each other if you plan on going crossfire.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
HammerHeadphone
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by HammerHeadphone »

ayylmao ez refund sir.