Case cooling help please!

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
stinsonk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Case cooling help please!

Post by stinsonk »

What would be the best configuration to increase the general temperatures in my case and graphics card. I was looking at getting a slot fan and have come across 3 kinds. I have an 8800GTX and low profile sound card in the other slots. The three options I've come across are suck hot air out, bring cold air in or recirculate the air inside case. Which would best lower my temperatures in your opinion?

Thanks, Kevin
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Case cooling help please!

Post by HONkUS »

The most basic method of case cooling is to have an intake fan in the front/bottom of the case to draw in cool air. The cool air then heats up from your hot uber leet components and rises then it is blown out by your exhaust fan which is normally located in the upper rear of your case near your cpu. This method works for moderate systems. With an 8800 you might want to think about a slot mounted exhaust fan. Those things put out alot oh heat and something like THIS If your intake and exhaust fans arent cutting it id suggest replacing them with a higher cfm model. Higher CFM doesnt always mean more noise poke around and see what you can find.

oh btw incase you aren't aware

CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute, this is how much air the fan moves. Higher CFM means better cooling
Also fan noise is measured in dbm the lower the dbm the quieter the fan so look for a fan with low dbm but high CFM and beware of stats that lie if a fan looks too good to be true then google reviews on it and see what people think of it.

Hope this helps!
stinsonk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stinsonk »

Great! Thanks for the help. Right now I have a side 80mm exhaust, a front 120mm intake and a rear 120 exhaust (then of course the exhaust from my PSU and GPU). Unfortunatly, I'm not sure what the CFM rating is on Xion standard case fans and I'm gonna loose the rear exhaust (well for the most part) when I replace my stock CPU cooler for a CoolIt eliminator (ya, I know it's chancy but I'll give it a shot...I live in Canada so RMAing it won't be TOO hard if it turns out faulty...) so I'm trying to increase the cooling in my case as best possible. I wasn't really sure what would be best to get in my slot fan.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Kevin
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

I also have an eliminator theyre great if you get one of the magical working ones lol. The fan on the elimintor moves 63cfm and it is a tad bit noisy but nothing too bad.
stinsonk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stinsonk »

Actually, I was just looking over a few of my other CPU cooler option that would be better on my budget (although eliminator cost just dropped 50 bucks from my computer shop...), have you ever tested out the Enzotech Ultra-X? It looks incredibly promissing and the extra cash could help me fund other aspects of my expensive little hobby :P

I hate having so many options and only one system to test em on lol

Thanks,
Kevin
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Pretty much the best air cooler out right now is the Ultra 120 Extreme.

See its legendary status here.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

I agree with Dan. The Ultra 120 Extreme is the top dog as far as air cooling goes and while its a little expensive its nothing compared to the price of the Eliminator.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Thats a pretty tall cooler, I would double check your case if its on the thin side. My case is only 7" wide and I could not get an HR-01 to fit ( it stuck out a good 1/4" past the side) and it's 1mm shorter than the Ultra-120.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
stinsonk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stinsonk »

I'm not so sure that the Ultra 120 Extreme is the best still. Some review site state that the Enzotech is better, some state that it's worse. Either way it is still high on the chart of top coolers and I can get it for 15 bucks...on my budget thats rather good lol

Kevin
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

For $15 its pretty good.

Anantech also reviewed it here.

And compared to their u120x review the load temps are:

GHz | 2.93 | 3.73 | 3.83 | 3.90 | 3.96
U120x | 32 | 43 | 43 | 45 | 47
Enzo | 43 | 55 | 59 | -- | --

Which puts the Enzo smack in the middle of the performance graph compared to the other coolers they tested.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
stinsonk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stinsonk »

One way or another, for 15 bucks you can't get much better lol. The idea of a top down cooler really relies on proper case cooling as well so that your not blowing warm air down onto the heatsink. Anand tech's review seems to have much higher results then any other sites I've read. Most rate it as a top of the line cooler at the top of the spectrum when at max speed. According to xbit labs review (ya, not the most reliable but there test system is similar to my set up) this is only about 1 degree behind the u120x under 100% load.

Kevin
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Well if it works for you ^_^ (and yeah, it is stellar price/performance)

I only just today found out how much the U120x weighs, including the fan it's just under 1kg!!!! That's insane! The recommended max for the 775 socket is supposed to be 450g!

I read somewhere on the test methodology of anandtec that they weren't using aux fans or something, so i'm not sure to read that as they used no case fans at all.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
stinsonk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stinsonk »

I am eventually going to upgrade to a liquid system anyway, but for right now I need a way to beat my stock CPU cooler...bloody expensive hobby for a student don't you think? :lol:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

That sir I can totally agree with. Student loans and part time jobs FTW!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

DMB2000uk wrote:Well if it works for you ^_^ (and yeah, it is stellar price/performance)

I only just today found out how much the U120x weighs, including the fan it's just under 1kg!!!! That's insane! The recommended max for the 775 socket is supposed to be 450g!

I read somewhere on the test methodology of anandtec that they weren't using aux fans or something, so i'm not sure to read that as they used no case fans at all.

Dan
wtf!!! oh WOW i can't believe i overlooked that........ is the mounting on it good enough to keep it from damaging the processor????
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Its got a back plate so you should be all right.

There have been coolers over the 1kg mark that only had a backplate, and in reviews they haven't broken anything.

I'd just be careful that you don't bash your rig around (not something you are likely to do anyway!). With the P180 being so heavy I get the impression that you won't be taking it to LAN parties? Well even if you do, be gentle, and I guess if possible transport it laid on its side with the motherboard side down.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
stinsonk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stinsonk »

Well that is one advantage to systems like the CoolIt Eliminator, 99 percent of the weight is supported by your case, not your CPU.

Kevin
stinsonk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stinsonk »

So I've finally got me new cooler (I picked up the Ultra-X) and this thing is a bloody beast. It looks amazing, but it's HUGE. If your considering this, make sure you've got lots of room around the CPU. I have mine set up so that it blows its air all around the northbridge and the assorted heatsinks around the CPU. As for my new stats...well at the moment I can't give accurate answers because I'm hit with a heat wave in the middle of september and have no A/C on. BUT when the temps were nice out and my computer room was at about 20C, my e6400 was running at 2800mhz idle at 38ish and full load TAT for 30 minutes went up to 50ish. Not too bad but the only problem is it requires a supply of fresh air to get best results. I'm gonna stick a tricool 80mm in the side of my case directly over the heatsink and see if that helps, but overall great cooler to upgrade to (and looks sweet!).

Small question though, is enzotech still making them? I went to their site the other day and it's no longer listed as their products...possibly just a lack of customers for the product?

Anyway, cheers
Kevin