Never ending search for a GOOD smallish cube case.

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Never ending search for a GOOD smallish cube case.

Post by bubba »

I want a small(ish) cube case in the range of a 12-13" cube, hell I even started to build one, hit a stumbling bock when the full length cards came out and CUBErt got back burnered. I have nothing against the large cube case like the Mountain Mods UFO (no offense Bio) but I've had fridges smaller, so I'm always looking around trying to find that perfect smallish cube type case.

Before vid cards had went back to being as long as my arm I had set my sights on a Lian Li PC-V300 it was a smidgen over $100 not so bad but no way you were getting a 8800 in it with out cutting it to hell. If I drop a C-note on a case I better not have to touch it to make my parts fit.

Well tonight I decided to stat looking again with large vid cards in mind. In giving google a good work out for a couple hours I found a couple possibilities, albeit pricey ones.

First I started looking on the sever side and found this guy Yeong Yang YY-0221. Now why haven't run across this guy before I don't know, but it looks like its been around for ever. At 13.4W x 17.3D x 13.4H its getting close to the size I want, but if I want a vid card that is 12"+ long, then a 13" depth is out the window. At $150 its not to ungodly expensive, but not cheap either.

The second I ran across on a link fallowing click fest to this thread in the Xtreme Systems forums. The guy built a sweet water set up in a Mountain Mods cube called H2gO, didn't know MM had a small cube out side the Bob Slay acrylic case. With my attention grabbed I made my way over to MM and started looking over the H2gO. At 17 x 12.75 x 13.5 inches in size its roughly the same size as the Yeong Yang, but adds another $100 to the price tag, but its also a WHOLE lot easier on the eyes. Its nice looking but $250 is a bit much for case that doesn't even come with a PSU.

Now why did I make this post? Well... I thought I might hit up the collective here and see if any of you have seen anything similar to these cases recently. I know about the SFF cases like the Qpac and Lanbox. Looking for the happy middle ground between the Qpac and a UFO, at or below the $100 mark.

I know, it might be a pipe dream, but whats it hurt to ask :-k
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Never ending search for a GOOD smallish cube case.

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Mountain Mods still has your number............. :mrgreen: Just what the doctor ordered.......full sized mother board as well.......... 8)
Specifications:
Material - Aluminum 5052
Thickness - 1.65mm-3.25mm
Dimensions - 17 x 12.75 x 13.5 inches
Finish - Brushed, Powder Coat, or Anodized
HD Bay - One set of 120mm HD racks
Hard Drives - Holds 3 out of box (6 with additional 120mm rack set)
5.25 Devices - Holds 3
MB Tray Form Factors - mATX/ATX
Fan Mounts - 6-120mm
Empty Weight - 11 lbs.
http://www.mountainmods.com/h2go-brushe ... p-414.html
Attachments
H2gO_pic2.jpg
H2gO_pic2.jpg (170.58 KiB) Viewed 9228 times
H2gO_pic1.jpg
H2gO_pic1.jpg (200.75 KiB) Viewed 9224 times
H2gO.jpg
H2gO.jpg (130.27 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
markkleb
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by markkleb »

that has to be the ugliest case I ever saw (and mine can be pretty ugly) #-o
I am 24% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?

Biostar 590/AMD 6400+
2 Gigs of Ballistix Tracers
2 WD 160Gig in Raid0
8800GTs in SLI
PC Power & Cooling 510(highly modified)

Case Changes Weekly, lol
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yup thats the H2gO, I'm leaning towards that one but its $250, thats why I'm considering the Yeong Yang, buts its more fugly than the MM Case.

For those who didn't look at the Extreme Systems link this is the what turned me on to the H2gO, I hope to build a system like this. (eventually)
Attachments
Picture039.jpg
Picture039.jpg (236.67 KiB) Viewed 9196 times
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as they say, I kind of like the way they look, but oh well, to each’s own................. :mrgreen:

I've seen several of these things build in the past few months (this one included), nice small and compact along with plenty of water cooling options.
markkleb
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by markkleb »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as they say, I kind of like the way they look, but oh well, to each’s own................. :mrgreen:

I've seen several of these things build in the past few months (this one included), nice small and compact along with plenty of water cooling options.
You have a point and "Ugly" was probably too strong of a word. I think an quick anodize (or any coating) of it would help it a bunch though.

Biostar 590/AMD 6400+
2 WD 160Gig in Raid0
8800GTs in SLI

Case Changes Weekly, lol
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Actually I think they look pretty cool. Will a pair of 8800gts fit inside comfortably?

Anyone else find any other smallish cases that will house a full ATX board SLI?
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

8800GTS's are just as wide as a motherboard is deep, so they should fit just fine................ :mrgreen:
markkleb
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by markkleb »

ibleet wrote:Actually I think they look pretty cool. Will a pair of 8800gts fit inside comfortably?

Anyone else find any other smallish cases that will house a full ATX board SLI?
yep, mine

I am rebuilding it and removing the silly H20. Throwing a pair of these in it
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6814134035

Biostar 590/AMD 6400+
2 WD 160Gig in Raid0
8800GTs in SLI

Case Changes Weekly, lol
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Word of caution, the AC Accelero needs some kind of airflow over the heatsink to work with any kind of effectiveness.

Normally in the passive mode inside a case, it relies on negative air pressure inside the case to force air in through the back PCI bracket and across the cooler that way.

So on your essentially open bench; use the turbo module (if you can fit that in the SLI configuration), a different fan, or rethink your idea.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Dude, that is CRAZY! :mrgreen: I like it!
markkleb
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by markkleb »

DMB2000uk wrote:Word of caution, the AC Accelero needs some kind of airflow over the heatsink to work with any kind of effectiveness.

Normally in the passive mode inside a case, it relies on negative air pressure inside the case to force air in through the back PCI bracket and across the cooler that way.

So on your essentially open bench; use the turbo module (if you can fit that in the SLI configuration), a different fan, or rethink your idea.

Dan
Got you covered
(my first SFF case)

PS: Hey Bubba, lets get together and make you a cool ass SFF case.

Biostar 590/AMD 6400+
2 WD 160Gig in Raid0
8800GTs in SLI

Case Changes Weekly, lol
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Sweet ^_^

I wish I had enough time and money to dedicate to modding.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

markkleb wrote:PS: Hey Bubba, lets get together and make you a cool ass SFF case.
:-k redesigning CUBErt now, hope to have something I can share here in a couple days.
-Thomas Jefferson
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Ok, just for the fact I could hardly focus on anything else I set down most of today and this evening and put on digital paper what was floating in my head.

13" cube, space for 1x DVD rom, couple hard drives, pump, two dual 120 rads, and full ATX and full length vid card.

Now maybe I can focus on the stuff I should be doing, like work and articles (sorry Nate) :mrgreen: once I get focused in on something it eats at me until I get to a point that I feel I accomplished something. Lets hope I'm to that point, otherwise I'll be messing with this again in the morning and I got more important stuff to be doing.
-Thomas Jefferson
markkleb
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by markkleb »

what about dropping the height a couple of inches (one help would be a laptop DVD)

My bro is a big wig involved with style and told me befor a rectangle (as a apposed to a square) catches peoples eye better.

PS: I really like your technical drawings and that you used an ATX mobo.

Biostar 590/AMD 6400+
2 WD 160Gig in Raid0
8800GTs in SLI

Case Changes Weekly, lol
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I was reading this thread the other day and when I saw your drawing it came right to mind as a good method for you to put the cube together............... :mrgreen:

I was thinking of doing something like it down the road when the tax man comes.......... :shock:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1270524

On another note, you do know that the Mountain Mods Twice7 aluminum cube is only 14", not that much different than the size that you're looking at building.

http://www.mountainmods.com/twice7-blac ... -p-73.html
Mountain Mods Twice7 aluminum cube incorporates a dual chamber design. The left side houses the MB while the right side houses the drives and a full size PSU. It maintains significant airflow to keep even overclocked systems cool. 3 large acrylic windows let you see inside from any angle. The small size and light weight make this an ideal box to take to LANs, use as an HTPC, or place on a desk. Even though it is small it still allows for the use of EATX MBs with an optional tray.

Specifications:
Material - Aluminum 5052
Thickness - 1.65mm-3.25mm
Dimensions - 14x14x14 inches
Finish - Powder Coat
HD Bay - Removable
Hard Drives - Holds 5
5.25 Bay - Removable
5.25 Devices - Holds 3
MB Tray - Removable
Form Factors - mATX/ATX/EATX
Fan Mounts - 3-120mm,2-80mm
Empty Weigh - 10.5 lbs.
Attachments
T7.jpg
T7.jpg (107.14 KiB) Viewed 8904 times
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

but its $300 and I'm cheap :finga:

The cost is my main issue with alot of cases, they are just to expensive. This most likely due to the volume they are made in, not may folks sporting cube's.

NZXT is getting close on the style, still fairly large for mATX cube 16.6" x 10.9" x 14.5", but the price is getting better $150 (well better than $300).

Click stupidly long url
Attachments
255.jpg
255.jpg (91.14 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
-Thomas Jefferson
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Sort of nice looking case, now only if it were for a normal ATX board.