Case Fans

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
KPRROK
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Case Fans

Post by KPRROK »

Hello all:

Got my new computer and I've put an extra fan on the side of the case. There used to be a cone there to bring cool air to the processor, but with the after-market cooler I put on, it didn't fit. So the question is, should the fan on the side of the case be blowing in or out? I remember reading that out was better because if it blows in it could interfere with the airflow from the CPU cooler. Any thoughts?

Also, how do I change it, just flip the fan around? Or is there a setting somewhere?

Cheers, and thanks.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Case Fans

Post by martini161 »

i would just try each way and see which way gives you better temps, and yes, you change by flipping it over, there should be arrows on the fan to indicate airflow direction
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Download coretemp http://www.download.com/Core-Temp/3000- ... 94077.html As for the fan blowing in or out? I would say out, but check with coretemp to comfirm.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

It depends on where the fan is located. I'm assuming that by what you are saying the fan is directly over where the CPU is. In this situation I personally would have it blow out. If it were somewhere lower on the side, away from the CPU I would probably have it sucking air into the case. Just depends on your layout. Like previously suggested, download core-temp and play around a bit. There are some good basic airflow diagrams out there.

I think most people who use air follow this:
Air intake from low front
Air output high back
When it comes to the side is where folks usually differ a bit. Just depends on the layout and location - IMHO.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Most if not all cases have the front intake fan blocked by a drive cage of some kind reducing the flow into the case. If the drive cage is turned, so the hard drive points to the side, the fan is almost entirely blocked. In some setups I have messed with had 2x 250mm side fans 150CFM each were the only fans in the case and they kept the entire system cooled quite well. So knowing what case, cooler, and case fans you have would help a lot. Even better would be a picture.

Shot in the dark so to speak....

If the cooler is a down draft cooler (similar to stock) I would say in. If it was out then it would starve the cooler of fresh air.

If its a tower cooler then I would have it (the cooler) blowing to the back towards the rear exhaust. The side fan may not help one way or the other with a tower cooler,but check it blowing in and out to see if the video card temps change any.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Bubba, he posted his build list here: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=16698
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Thanks Sporg.

Looking at the specs of the case it looks as if the front intake fan is optional. If you don't have one there I would look at getting a fan in there. For the time being I would have the fan on the side blowing in.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson