Coolent Question

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Coolent Question

Post by Skippman »

I'm going to be doing the final build on my machine on Wednesday. I'm planning to use anti-freeze / automotive coolent for the coolent solution. I've done a little reading and found out a few things and I'm hoping you can help fill in the gaps.

Methanol
Other than it being a simple alchohol its flamable. So that eliminates it right there as I don't want my PC catching fire.

Ethylene glycol
Seems to be the best choice. I know it's toxic but I'm not planning to drink the stuff. It's readily available, proven, and anti-corosive.

Propylene glycol
Tends to gum up. Also tends to grow bacteria, something I'm trying to avoid.

So, right now it looks like my choice is ethylene glycol is going to be my best choice. I have a few questions about that.

1.) Do I dilute to 1:1, buy pre-mixed (w/ destilled), or run straight coolent?
2.) Do I still need an anti-bacterial agent?
3.) Is this stuff UV reactive?
4.) I know diffrent brands use diffrent colors. Any idea who uses a red color?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coolent Question

Post by DMB2000uk »

I use about 10% anti-freeze to 90% de-ionised (or distilled) water. You don't really need much more than that really.

No, it's not particularly UV reactive.

With the 10% mix, you don't really get that much colour from the anti-freeze, if you want you can use food dyes to add a bit of colour to it. But it still wont make it any better under UV.

You could try something like this though:
http://www.primochill.com/index.php?tar ... t_id=30457

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

really if you dont want bacteria then your going to have to stray away from uv reactive, as when you ahve uv getting in it tends to encourage the growth of little nasty's in the loop.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Skippman wrote:
Propylene glycol

With a mixture of 20% PG and 80% DW, I've never had any with my four systems guming up nor any bacteria nor algae growing in the cooling loops. PG has been used in my systems since 1999.

A majority of aftermarket WCing kits use PG without any troubles either.

The only time I've actually come across a gum up and things growing in the cooling loop was when a fellow gamer took my advice to flushed his system. The only thing he did wrong was to use regular apple based vinegar vs. distilled vinegar. In a short time his loop got messy.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

stev wrote:
Skippman wrote:
Propylene glycol

With a mixture of 20% PG and 80% DW, I've never had any with my four systems guming up nor any bacteria nor algae growing in the cooling loops. PG has been used in my systems since 1999.

A majority of aftermarket WCing kits use PG without any troubles either.

The only time I've actually come across a gum up and things growing in the cooling loop was when a fellow gamer took my advice to flushed his system. The only thing he did wrong was to use regular apple based vinegar vs. distilled vinegar. In a short time his loop got messy.
What Stev said, I've been using PG from the day I started water cooling (Stev suggested it back then) without any issues. I use a bit lower percentage of a mixture depending on what types of different metals are in the loop.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I ended up ordering some Fesser One F1 coolent for the rig. I like that it's UV and red. I understand what you mean about potential growth due to the UV ingrediant but this stuff is supposed to be anti-bacterial.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I've heard that the Fesser One F1 stuff is supposed to be fairly good, I'm just way to cheap and poor to pay that kind of money for coolant.

I've still got part of a gallon of PG anti-freeze that I bought like 5 years ago............... :shock: