Ready for my next build, waiting on CPU

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Ready for my next build, waiting on CPU

Post by vbironchef »

As you all know I am building my next rig with the Intel 6 core CPU. I have a brand new corsair hx750, but I think I might need more power. Want to buy a Corsair hx850 ps but I don't think they make them anymore. As far as cooling goes, I'm not sure that the stock cooler is enough for me. I don't want to go with water cooling. Question is, should I buy the cooler master v-10? I need very good cooling with temps in my place at or over 80F. I plan on trying to fold with the bigadv. So all cores would be at 100% I would like to overclock but I don't think any rig can handle the temps. Would like your thoughts. Thanks in advance. Even my rig now I would like to get better temps ( see sig.) I really would like to fold at more points, just don't know how to do it, running cool that is.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Ready for my next build, waiting on CPU

Post by kenc51 »

I would go with watercooling. It's a large initial investment but it can be used on the next rig after upgrading.
You get much better temps and less noise.

I'm watercooling for ~5yrs now and could never go back to air
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I knew someone was going to say that. Ok, please list the watercooling parts that I should buy. I know a little about water cooing, but the problem is I am going to use a Lian Li B25F mid-tower case. Price is no object. One quesion though, how many times a year do you need to flush the system?
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I say go for the V10. just my 2 cents
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

ordered the coolermaster v-10. Used the newegg link. Just hope it does the trick.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

vbironchef wrote:ordered the coolermaster v-10. Used the newegg link. Just hope it does the trick.
You move quick! :shock:
and there's me spending hours deliberating on which watercooling parts you should use ;) :lol:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

kenc51, here is what I am thinking of doing. Build my next rig with the Coolermaster v-10. I have a Silverstone TJ-09 that has a QX6700 in it that when my wife is not looking I'm going to use that case to build a water cooling system with new motherboard, CPU, memory. Just don't tell her. :lol: She first needs to ween herself off of windows XP pro SP3. That might take awhile.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Just call me Ken :goodman:

I like your thinking. That case also looks perfect for mounting a radiator at the top where the dual 120mm fans are.
I'll get back to you on suggested parts soon as I've been out of the "scene" for a while and need to do a little research first.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I have the coolermaster V-10 in a box. I think I may have made a mistake in buying it. I want to put it in a Lian Li B25F case, but after reading some reviews on how hard it is to mount, I may not even try. Some say that it doesn't cool very well. I know Legit Reviews recommends it but I would like everyones thoughts on what to do. Should I return it for something else or try to install it in my mid-tower case?
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

It is a little tricky at first..but you can lay the cooler upside down(cpu contact pointing up), and mount the mobo that way..I'm sure it could fit, but i don't know.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I read that. Just that it doesn't seem work as advertised, acorrding to the reviews at Newegg. How does yours work? And how long have you had it. When you run 100% all cores, what are your temps. MaximiumPC gave it a rating of 4 out of 10. Edit: BTW my CPU is on backorder. :(
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

You might want to talk to bwall or bubba on the V10, both have used it on their systems for certain.

Sucks to hear the CPU you ordered was backordered...
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

As far as I've seen and I've had mine for almost a year..it does work as advertised.. That MaximumPC article looks lazy to me. Will another cooler beat the V10 at stock speeds? Probably..But OC the CPU that's when the V10 shows it's true spirit..I've folded on it too and no temp issues. I do try to keep my room no higher than 80 F . In all honesty, the highest I've ever gotten was 85C full 100% load with HT enabled, in the middle of summer.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Now I have second thoughts :? Maybe I will give it a try. I already got approved for a RMA. Of course it is going to cost me 20. dollars in restocking fees. I should have made a bigger donation to the walk. As for my CPU: Let me just say that I think that no vendor actually had them in stock. I believe that they won't get them till the 22 or 23 of march. I bet when the 24th hits the price will go down to 999.00. That's my guess and I should have waited. Shame on me. :buttkick:
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I thought about getting the 980x too, but I wasn't sure how my fermi upgrade would be affected. I may still get the 980 though .hopefully you get to try out the v10 on yours and see how well it cools. Id say try it out as long as it fits in your case(and if you get the processor before sending the cooler back) How much did you pay? The $1100 newegg was pegging people with?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

INTEL BX80613I7980X Core i7 980X Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz Socket 1366 Desktop Processor Retail $1089.99 1 $1089.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub Total: $1089.99
Discount: $0.00
Sales Tax: $89.92
Shipping: $9.98
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

Go water dude, I did it for both of my i7s, gives you much more and quieter options. I can hear my psu fans now.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Deceided just to use the stock cooler. Doubt I will even oc. I'm such a baby. My temps in my neck of the woods are just to high.
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

Don't be, they can take alot of heat, had a little accident with one of my 860s, started the computer on a water loop with no circulation, temps on all the cores where topped out at 99c and the system temp was at 96c before I realized something was wrong, the processor never errored out and has not had an error since, the machine run just like normal at 3.8ghz.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Looks like I might have another option. It's going to cost though. http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/26251/ Runs quiet and should cool pretty good and should be easy to install. would like some reviews before I buy though. What do you think.?