Corsair H70 Recevied Pic and H50 Comparison

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Corsair H70 Recevied Pic and H50 Comparison

Post by Vectrexer »

Thanks tot the Guys at BLT who seems to be the first ones in stock I was able to get a Corsair H70. It came in on Friday and was installed. Below are some picture of the production Corsair H70 so you know what to expect. I have also collected some real world information by comparing the Course H50 with the H70 as installed in a beck test system.

Bench Test system specs:
  • MyOpenPC.com DOMA PRO PCI open chassis
    Asus Rampage II Gene
    Intel I7 920, overclocked to 4.2 GHz (21 x 200)
    G.Skill DDR3-2000 PC3 16000, CL 6-9-6-24-2N, F3-16000CL6T-6GBPID, 12 GB installed (2 kits) All 12 GB was running at the rated spec.
    EVGA GTX 480 SC,, overclocked to 800 MHz
    EVGA GTX 295 FTW,, overclocked to 702 MHz
    Western Digital Caviar Black
    SamSung Writemaster DVD
    Corsair H50 CPU Cooler / Corsair H50 CPU Cooler

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Everest 5.5 beta
    Folding@home running one SMP 8 Way client and three GPU Clients.
    LinX
First a few pictures of the H70as I received. Apologies for the pics. I was using borrowing friend's camera and didn't quick get used to it. Plus no ability to white balance.

After the quick unboxing there will be a few screen captures for the before and after temps of the system.

Last edited by Vectrexer on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Corsair H70 Recevied Pic and H50 Comparison

Post by Vectrexer »

Since Corsair H70 is going to be installed on a bench test platform there is no harm in assembling now.

The Bench Tech system before with the Corsair H50 installed. Since the mounting hardware is the same for the both the H50 and the H70, the old hardware was kept and resued. The CPU was cleaned in preparation for the new H70 and the TIM that was pre-installed on it.

The Bench test system before with the Corsair H70 installed.

Last edited by Vectrexer on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

During the installation some differences between the Corsair H70 and the Corsair H50 were noted. Some differences were minor and not really worth noting.

Other changes were a decision on Corsair's part to cheapen the product in my opinion. Those change will required you modding skills to bring it back up to the original H50 appearance quality. They don't affect the operation of the H70. An example is all of the cabling is now delivered unsheathed. kinda sucky but as you will see below int he temps, something I can live with (For now anyway).

Still other design changes for the H70 may require a rethink for installation depending on the method and the case you have chosen. Those changes could the buyer to do some thing simple like get a fan extension cable. However, some of the change may prevent buyer from performing a simple equipment from the H50 to the H70 due the difference in length of the tubing from the pump to the radiator.

Pictures below show some caparison photos between the H50 and the H70 to illustrate the differences.

Last edited by Vectrexer on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

Last edited by Vectrexer on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

Here are some screen shots of the system running with the Corsair H50. While not the subject of this review I also have to note the G.SKill RAM works beautifully in this Asus motherboard!

This temps are for the system on the H50 when running Folding@home. 1 CPU Client doing 8-way SMP, plus 1 GTX 480 GPU Client, and Two GTX 295 GPU Clients. Process Lasso is ensuring the CPUs and CPUs are properly managed so that all the Folding@home clients makeing the best use of the CPU under Windows 7 x64.

This temps are for the system after the upgrade to the on the H50 when running Folding@home. 1 CPU Client doing 8-way SMP, plus 1 GTX 480 GPU Client, and Two GTX 295 GPU Clients. Process Lasso is ensuring the CPUs and CPUs are properly managed so that all the Folding@home clients makeing the best use of the CPU under Windows 7 x64

Also noticed was an large reduction in temperature wen running LinX. The Following temps are for the system running on the H70. Before these temps were hovering around the 98 to 100 degree C region.
Last edited by Vectrexer on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

The overall results of the testing showed the Corsair H70 was able to cool about 12 degrees C better than the H50 in the same conditions.

More pics here if interested: http://picasaweb.google.com/vectrexer/H ... directlink
Last edited by Vectrexer on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skier

Post by skier »

nice, now i need to replace my 50

ps, do you really need all those posts? when they're linked to they can all go on one post
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Playing with one now. Will have my take on it soon, very soon.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

So far it looks like it performs good and also looks great!

Saw a bunch of gamers with them at Quakecon:
corsair_h70.jpg
corsair_h70.jpg (91.99 KiB) Viewed 9174 times
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

Silverghost wrote: Focusing your camera. Learn it
I would if that was my camera. It was a loaner and not a good one. Focus off a lot. No manual white balance available and what it did have was not that great. Relatively small focus range for the hard switch macro mode.

Next time I'll wait for my own camera.

Yes, the pictures posted this time in my LR forum post were definitely sucky.