Watercooling question

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Watercooling question

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Well, my WC loop has been running strong for quite some time now, but my motherboard's RAM slots went bad. In the process of replacing the defective motherboard, I pulled out (very carefully) the old board, connected everything up to the new one, and put it back into the case. Mid-way through testing the RAM, I saw the PC freeze up. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the tube bringing fresh liquid into the CPU block has pulled back JUUUUST under the clamp. Its not off of where its supposed to be by much, and it seems like I may be able to just push it back down and re-clamp.

I've pulled all the components out and put a bowl under the CPU block to make sure if it DOES leak that its controlled. I've used contact cleaner on the parts that got moisture on them. I'm going to attempt to undo the clamp, push it all the way back in, and re-clamping - all without draining the loop.

Thoughts, concerns? I'm doing all this at the PC repair shop I work at, so I'm not really sweating bullets, but if there's anything you might recommend doing, I'm all ears.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Watercooling question

Post by bubba »

So it only started leaking after you pulled it from the case?

With tubing, the cheaper brands anyway, will "relax" over time. I found this out the hard way with some Home Depot tube. It got warm, relaxed and twisted on itself with the system on the test bench. The twisting choked flow, system heated up and thermaled and shut down. The tube then firmed back up and locked in the twisted state. When I took it all apart I noticed the clamps where not tight, snug but not tight.

Switched over to Masterkleer haven't had an issue like it since, but I also now run 7/16"ID tube on 1/2" barbs, no clamps, just zip ties.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Yeah, no issues at all until the day I switch out the mobo. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the tube wasn't cut very clean to begin with. It was kind of jagged and not a flush, smooth cut so it may have been "off" even when I set it up originally. I decided to just drain the loop. I'm going to clean all my components and then re-do my loop because as I kept working on the loop, it sprang another leak from a barb that twisted loose on the GPU block. I can take a hint from my PC and give it some TLC. I'm just hoping that the 9800GX2 still works. Couldn't care less about the mobo though, it was bought used for like $40.

Any tips to get the tubing cut properly? I just remember it being too tough to cut cleanly with scissors.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Head to the hardware store and pick up a "PVC Pipe Cutter"
tubecutter.jpg
tubecutter.jpg (10.84 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
Think I got mine at Lowes for ~$12, best money I've spent on tools in a while. Cuts PVC pipe and just about any hose (that isn't metal re-enforced)

but shows how it works. Nice square cuts.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
skier

Post by skier »

bubba wrote:Head to the hardware store and pick up a "PVC Pipe Cutter"
Think I got mine at Lowes for ~$12, best money I've spent on tools in a while. Cuts PVC pipe and just about any hose (that isn't metal re-enforced)

but shows how it works. Nice square cuts.
that is something i think we need here, we just cut PVC with a sawsall or porta-band haha nottt very clean..
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

The cutter in the pic is what I have and it can do up to 2" sch40 pipe, cuts like butter.
-Thomas Jefferson