Power supply blew

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Immortal

Power supply blew

Post by Immortal »

Hey guys.
well i was minding my own business and my PC suddenley shuts down, atempts at boot are met with nothing.
If i pull the cord out and back in again the thing boots but lights flash and fanswhir then shuts down again, i did this for a bit, then my PSU goes BANG!

Put in a new PSU, set the rig up outside case and all is well.
Im thinking maybe a short-circuit somewhere, or maybe a PSU failure?
The PSU was a cheap one, i got a new Hiper 470w PSU in there now, seems like a good PSU.

Thoughts welcome.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've had that happen a few times on an old Antec PSU I had. Several restarts and then it just went pop like someone opened a can of Coke or beer. (:drinkers:)

Mine was in warranty so I tossed a spare in and all was well. Most no name brands still have a one year warranty so I hope you aren't out a PSU.

Sounds like it just shot craps to me.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

na it wasnt much, around £10, thats $18.
I got a good Hiper in there now, i got 18A on the +12V line and pver 30A on the others.... thermally controlled if i want it (which i set) or MAX fan speed or silent operation, dual fan design, its a good PSU! :)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Lucky you didn't toast anything inside your system.........which can happen from voltage spikes...............I know a guy that toasted everything in his rig when his PSU went pop........ :shock:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Very lucky. Toasting my computer is why i only use name brand PSU's they still die but they do not die as often or as hard as cheapo generics do.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
bull
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bull »

My PSU recently started acting up and took my 9800pro and 60GB HDD with it. :cry:

I decided that generic PSU's were not for me. I got the Tt 480W with the 7 color LED's. Great power and it looks good too. :wink:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've been very lucky when my PSU's pop then. Never had anything else go with them.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The only thing I toasted with a bad PSU was a fan header power trace in the MoBo...........good thing it wasn't for the CPU fan........ :shock:
mrplow
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mrplow »

Immortal wrote:na it wasnt much, around £10, thats $18.
I got a good Hiper in there now, i got 18A on the +12V line and pver 30A on the others.... thermally controlled if i want it (which i set) or MAX fan speed or silent operation, dual fan design, its a good PSU! :)
That's the same as the Superflower supplies (same factory) I think. I've had two of those which have both been decent supplies BUT have both had a strange clicky-noise problem. One is much worse than the other... it just emits a horrible clicky noise, like a relay switching back and forth very quickly, after prolonged use. Started to scare the hell out of me so I dumped it.

Yours do anything like that?
illegitimate emus
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

yeah, it is exactly that, exceopt mines quiet and inaudable sometimes, i just turn it off @ the mains when i shutdown, to be safe.
mrplow
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mrplow »

It *really* bugs me, I don't know how you can put up with it. It's also kinda worrying sometimes, doesn't sound at all healthy.

Apparently they've said it's "perfectly normal operation". I've noticed a new one I have doesn't do it.
illegitimate emus
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

yeah, my friend has lots of them, he says they do it too, apparenltey replacing the fan inside makes it stop, i just disconnect it from the mains, and all is well.

I cant seem to get on Hipers site tho to ask them....
rishdi
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rishdi »

Probably a generic cheap power supply.

Get a new one.
rekphiv
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rekphiv »

ive never blown a pc psu, ive blown 3 xbox psu's by modding them while they are on and moving stuff around and BOOM.... it sucks, 120v hurts.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

rishdi, hiper arent generic, they are the top recommended PSU brand by AMD themselves, and are good in intel books too, they are far from generic!