mosfet water cooling!

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

mosfet water cooling!

Post by sbohdan »

what do you guys say about a little MOSFET Water cooling? :finga:

http://www.sixdesign.de/mosfet.html
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

nicely done....but a complete waste to be honest....decent air flow is all the mosfets need, the cooling kit would have to be super high end to make up for the poor flow through all of that, and to be honest, the only components that you should really W/C are the CPU, GPU, and chipset....at most. But I do give them very high markss for the effort and the quality of work
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

actually having a prescott showed me the hard way how hot MOSFETS can get. when I first OC'd it to 3.8Ghz and touched one of the MOSFETs, I burnt my fingertip! after this I did install ramcooling fins on them and put a fan blowing on those- they are still hot to the touch but not burning anymore. also I heard some dualcore OC-ing did burn the MOSFETs. they couldn't take the heat.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I've been running anX2 4800+ at 3.1 GHz with a single 120mm fan blowing on the mosfets, they don't get too warm (I'm really anal about temps and have active cooling on everything).
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yeah, MOSFETs are the least of my worries as well. btw, it's off-topic somewhat, but I have a goal I think is achieveable and I am willing to try it: 3 GHz over Exos2 in the Tsunami. I will initially use air (probably SI-120), then later go for the system. I know now you have your X2 4800+ @ 3.1, but I guess I'm insane for shooting so high and keep it cool and stable (the Newcastle is definitely talking for me right now, amazing what a 12-pk of ale can do for one's nerves and mind, lol :rolleyes: ). Now you know my true aim capper 8)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Some of those MOSFETs on my Intel boards get too hot to touch when overclocking. Mostly on the i955X boards under high voltages. I don't think watercooling is worth the effort, but if you have a CNC machine and AutoCAD in the office I'd be having custom blocks made for my system for free.
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

Wow, they are cool looking though!
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Holy crap, those are pretty amazing little things! I never thought I'd see water cooling for MOSFETS!!!

Did you actually use any of these products sbohdan?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

killswitch83 wrote:yeah, MOSFETs are the least of my worries as well. btw, it's off-topic somewhat, but I have a goal I think is achieveable and I am willing to try it: 3 GHz over Exos2 in the Tsunami. I will initially use air (probably SI-120), then later go for the system. I know now you have your X2 4800+ @ 3.1, but I guess I'm insane for shooting so high and keep it cool and stable (the Newcastle is definitely talking for me right now, amazing what a 12-pk of ale can do for one's nerves and mind, lol :rolleyes: ). Now you know my true aim capper 8)
I think that goal is achievable with the EXOS-2. First, I'm getting there on 1.5 on the V-Core, I'm using phase so no problems there.....but the EXOS-2 can move 700W of heat and although your temps will probably end up in the 37-40C range, it should work alright.....I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of others reading this you will see as you gget closer to the chips max that you will need to start upping the V-Core substantially for minimal gains.... a lot of the time those small increases are not worth the extra voltage you are pumping through the chip
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

capper5016 wrote:a lot of the time those small increases are not worth the extra voltage you are pumping through the chip
Very good call. It's easy to get all caught up in the overclocking mode, and forget about the safety of your components!

...Yes, I speak from experience...
*cough*1.7v through my Venice*COUGH* :oops:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

gvblake22 wrote:Holy crap, those are pretty amazing little things! I never thought I'd see water cooling for MOSFETS!!!

Did you actually use any of these products sbohdan?
no, but I wish I had. I could really make a good use of those 'cause you could easyly fry an egg on my mosfets :shock:
I did put some ram cooling fins from zalman though and there is a fan blowing directly on them, this way my mosfets are all right for now.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

capper5016 wrote: I think that goal is achievable with the EXOS-2. First, I'm getting there on 1.5 on the V-Core, I'm using phase so no problems there.....but the EXOS-2 can move 700W of heat and although your temps will probably end up in the 37-40C range, it should work alright.....I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of others reading this you will see as you gget closer to the chips max that you will need to start upping the V-Core substantially for minimal gains.... a lot of the time those small increases are not worth the extra voltage you are pumping through the chip
of course. a hunk of silicone and metal leads can only handle so much juice, lol. The cool thing (no pun intended!) is the fact that, as you already know from using the system, the Exos2 is substantially quieter than any air-cooled solution pretty well. Of course, that's merely secondary to how well it can cool, which is extremely well on the W/C. Defauly vcore is close to what you have it now, so that's not bad at all! hell, it's barely a 10% voltage jump and you're able to take a 2.4 up and above 3 GHz, and on a legitimately cheaper cooling solution when compared to the monster Exos2. I believe it will be fairly proportional when I go to OC the 3800+ to the same speed on a heftier cooling solution. I'm already drooling at the prospect of a 1GHz jump :drool: