Help choosing PSU and Case for my build

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Seth
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Help choosing PSU and Case for my build

Post by Seth »

I'm looking at doing my first build and need some help with choosing a suitable PSU and case.

System thus far:
CPU: Intel 15-2500K
Mainboard: Asrock Extreme 6 P67
RAM: Kingston 2x4GB 1600MHz ram
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Optical: Samsung CD/DVD read/write

This PC will be used mostly for work, running MS Office Pro, MS SQLServer 2008, CRM software and various other database applications. I also require at least 1 x IEEE1394 port (back of PC is fine).
I don't know what kind of size PSU I will need but want to make sure it will do the job and want a reasonable case as I will be moving this PC around with me a bit. I may also get a 120GB SSD (depending on cost). Any other info that would be helpful just ask.

Any suggestions?
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Help choosing PSU and Case for my build

Post by DragonFury »

Corsair, Silver Stone, pc power and cooling. I recommend a 600/700watt, you probably could get away with a 500 watter easily. A 600/700 watt PSU give you a bit more flexibility if you plan on adding more items to your computer in the future.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

I didnt see a video card on your list which would also influence the PS decision, so based on what you listed the Corsair 500 watt will do fine.

$50 after MIR which is a nice price....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139018

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Seth
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Seth »

I will be doing very little gaming, if any, so I figure the intergrated graphics on the 2500K CPU will suffice.

Any suggestions for a case?
Ideally I will want something that is suitable for being moved around somewhat, predominantly between two work locations only a 10 minute drive from each other but on occasion elsewhere too. I will want both USB 2.0 and 3.0 headers, 1 x IEEE1394 port header or rear of PC and 1 x headphone audio header or rear of PC.

I don't thnk I should have any issues with the hardware I plan on using but I don't know much about cooling wither so if anyone recommends anything please let me know.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Not sure what you are referring to in your USB header remarks, that is all on the Motherboard...The USB pinouts you have depends on the Motherboard you are using, so you put the I/O shield that came with the MoBoon the rear of whatever case you get.

As to the case the Storm Scout ($80 at Newegg)is a nice case and has a handle on top that makes it easy to lug around. If you want something ultra light then maybe the Lian Li aluminum case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119196

If you buy at newegg use the link on this site to purchase!

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
AshLikeSnow
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AshLikeSnow »

As your using the case for database applications. This is my opinion. I'm no expert on this subject.
MY family owns a small company and have a "server" rig specifically for SQL and database. We have about 3,000 customer files on record and the rig is powered on and running 24/7. Its even on when the company is closed for holidays. We are running a i5 with 500W PSU 4GB RAM and a cheapo $40 graphics card. Your most important components are your Motherboard and PSU. These parts CAN NOT fail. Or you may end up with serious downtime. With you rig, you will most likely do fine with a 350W PSU. But I agree that the 500W corsair is a good choice.

I'm not familiar with the asrock motherboard and a quick look at it seems to indicate its a good choice.

I'm not too sure with what it is [asrock]. Buy you want to stay with anything that say's "gaming" on the box. "gaming motherbaords" aren't designed to last as long as "business" motherboards and generally work on a bang for buck basis rather than stability. Rather they come with long warranties to make up for their tendency to fail after several years.

As for the hard drive. You should stick to 7200 rpm hard drives. These are cheaper, more stable, and have higher capacity. SSD is a relatively new thing, and I'm not to confident about their stability. I'm not sure if their made to be left on 24/7 for years at a time. ALSO: For your hard driver. I think businesses typically prefer WD Caviar Green / blue. They run cooler and use less power for the trade off of lower write speed. I'm pretty sure you won't be dling gigabytes of pirated games like other black users soooo... jk I have a suspicion that lower power and lower right speed and cooler = more stability. I don't know if thats true.

As for a case.

I'm more familiar with mid-sized cases (for gaming and workstations). You should be searching for a compact case / server case. Since you won't be using a video card and need portability. NOTE: Your IEEE port and USB ports are on your Motherboard, not on the case. Your motherboard will come with a little plate which you pop onto the case.

This a good page for you to be looking at.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory ... er-Chassis

[Edit] Before our current server. We had a cheapo dell running it. We had a critical software failure in our database as well as a failure with our master server. (Old databdase was MSDos) And lets just say, no one in my family got much sleep at all for the next 2 weeks working 16hours a day. In a fix now or bankrupt and die scenario.
Last edited by AshLikeSnow on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Since this is going to be a sever/workstation for an office/business I would think you want function over style, and little flash as possible.

Look at the Silverstone Kublai KL02-B http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811163093, its smallish, light, will be easy to move for no farther than you are moving it. Then look at getting a drive cage like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product , along with a RAID card and additional drives (they are cheap when it comes to down time and loss of company data) build a raid 5 for your data to have some redundancy to your data to work in tandem with your backups. With a RAID5 you can loose one drive and still work/not loose anything. If you loose multiple drives, well that's what backups are for.

as for the power supply, the corsair unit that Darkstar pointed to is a solid choice.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson