Help finding adapter that goes between side fan and mobo

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
blitzymighty
Legit User
Legit User

Help finding adapter that goes between side fan and mobo

Post by blitzymighty »

My friend's new PC case came with several little adapters that I assume were female-female and served the purpose of being in between the side fan and the mobo. This way, when you need to open the case, you don't have to reach into the mobo to disconnect the side fan power cables. He was going to give them to me, but now can't find them. I have searched google and ebay, even talked to Newegg customer service, and I can't find anywhere to buy them. Any ideas would be much appreciated! :)
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Help finding adapter that goes between side fan and mobo

Post by XstollieX »

If you mean something like a fan extension cable Newegg.com has a bunch of them here. Though they are male-female... Are you looking for the cables that connect to the motherboard or directly to a 4pin molex(PSU)?
blitzymighty
Legit User
Legit User

Post by blitzymighty »

XstollieX wrote:If you mean something like a fan extension cable Newegg.com has a bunch of them here. Though they are male-female... Are you looking for the cables that connect to the motherboard or directly to a 4pin molex(PSU)?
Thanks for quick reply, and I would need an extra fan power cable to accomplish this, but the adapter is what is hard to find. I even just talked to a rep from buy.com in the PC dept and she did not have a clue. It's like set up like this:

CASE SIDE PANEL--TWO FANS SCREWED TO SIDE--POWER CORD FROM FAN(s)---FEMALE ADAPTER END--FEMALE ADAPTER END--ANOTHER FAN POWER CABLE---MOBO FAN POWER CONNECTOR.

This way, you don't have to yank the cable out of the tiny little spot on the mobo every time you need to open the side of the case.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

So your looking for a y-cable. Plug two fans into the cable and then attach the cable to the motherboard. Something like these
12-119-148-01.jpg
12-119-148-01.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 5463 times
blitzymighty
Legit User
Legit User

Post by blitzymighty »

Yes, that might work! I noticed that the one end for the mobo looks different, I'd have to make sure I have a spare power connector like that.
BTW, I just noticed that you are a staff writer. Thanks for all the effort you and your co-workers put into the articles and comparisons! Not to mention helping people like me who are looking for some random thing! :mrgreen:
blitzymighty
Legit User
Legit User

Post by blitzymighty »

Looked at the reviews and one guy says:

I hope everyone reads this and other review and makes sure they are trying to hook two power connectors to one fan, rather than two fans to one power connector. It will not do the latter.

But the next item in that search you did looks like it does what I want, basically with the adapter built into the cable. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812189063
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

This if you want to add the Y to a straight extension http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812119148

This if you want to hook straight to the board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812189063
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

blitzymighty wrote:Looked at the reviews and one guy says:

I hope everyone reads this and other review and makes sure they are trying to hook two power connectors to one fan, rather than two fans to one power connector. It will not do the latter.

But the next item in that search you did looks like it does what I want, basically with the adapter built into the cable. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812189063
Oops, just grabbed an image, didn't really look at it Sorry bout that. At least the search was right :)