Mini ITX Build w/ InWin BP671.200BL Slim Case

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mini ITX Build w/ InWin BP671.200BL Slim Case

Post by Apoptosis »

I had to build up several small mini-ITX systems for a local business this week. The requirements were that it had to run Windows XP SP3 (The custom software they run doesn't run on Windows 7) and be in a slim case that was under 4" thick. I went with the InWin BP671.200BL slim chassis with the 200W power supply. At $49.99 plus $9.99 shipping, it wasn't the cheapest case, but was one of the better looking and it had a decent layout with the PSU sitting above the motherboard and not over the board (for better airflow).
case.jpg
case.jpg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 12595 times
All of the cases arrived and before installing any hardware in them, I checked the power supplies. All checked out at 12.0V on the +12V rail except for one that was 11.9V (within spec).
psu-label.jpg
psu-label.jpg (82.83 KiB) Viewed 12595 times
The power supply used in the InWin BP671.200BL slim chassis is a standard TFX model with part number IP-S200DF1-0. After looking at the label it appears this PSU is made by a company called Power Man. This unit has a single +12V rail that is rated at just 14.0 Amps. It's been a long time since I have seen such a long PSU. They can be bought separately for around $34 shipped, so half the cost of this case is in just the PSU.
e350-system.jpg
e350-system.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 12595 times
I went with the AMD Brazos platform as it was perfect for what the customer needed and was very affordable. The Gigabyte GA-E350-USB3 motherboard fits great in this system! I went with 64GB SSD's and mounted them with 3M double sided tape under the optical drive bay. This customer didn't need optical drives, so it was literally a case, motherboard and SSD. About $250 in raw cost for each system. Windows XP SP3 installed on the 64GB SSD's and only took up 9GB of space. The biggest negatives on this chassis are how loud the case fan that comes with it is and that is doesn't support 2.5" drives.

The customer was upgrading Dell systems from 2004. The machines had AOpen power supplies that were blowing up one at a time. Five in the past 6 months, so they updated them. The Dell boxes had single core Intel Celeron 2GHz single-core processors and 512MB of memory. I checked one of the old working units and it was idling at around 90 Watts from the wall. These new boxes are dual-cores with 2GB of memory and use just 27 Watts of power in an idle state, so they will be saving hundreds of Watts as well as having much faster systems!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Mini ITX Build w/ InWin BP671.200BL Slim Case

Post by kenc51 »

Nice job

My Dell laptop is showing it's age. I can't believe it will only cost ~$250 to build a quicker and more efficient system.
I know it's been a few years, but dang; you really notice how things have moved on

I remember spending thousands on a rig, water cooling it and spending hours looking at memtest screens to get performance.
What's next? Asus release an eeepc for $200 that's faster than my system?
HTC / Samsung etc are even rocking quad cores in their phones.

I feel old :shock:

Time to embrace the digital age again Ken
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

What is really funny, that juts a couple of years ago you couldnt build a decent rig for less then 600 USD for a basic internet/HTPC box. Now you can build a decent little gaming rig for around, comparable to a console more specifically, for around the same cost.

Looks like a clea set up Nate i liked how you kept the price down while giving them what they needed.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I could have shaved a few more bucks off, but I wanted to use the components I trusted.

They needed half a dozen of these, so keeping costs down was a major deal for them. They were installed today and they said they were quieter than the old Dell's, so that was a relief.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!