Who likes doors on their cases?

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Pooreone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Who likes doors on their cases?

Post by Pooreone »

I have noticed more and more computer cases coming with doors covering the drive bays. Who actually prefers a door on their case rather then not having one? Personally, I like cases without doors. I find that doors just get in my way when I am trying to burn a lot of stuff. It just seems harder to find a nice case with no doors. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some sweet cases with doors but I would prefer not having one. I just wanted to see if I am in the minority or majority of what people prefer.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

I hate them, I would not own a case with a door.
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Even though I have young kids that are tempted to press the buttons on the case (they seem to know not to do that), I prefer no doors.
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

No doors here! Can't stand them!
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i don't really like them, either... but if it looks sweet, i'm down.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

audiophile wrote:..... if it looks sweet, i'm down.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

No doors is my preference...just one more thing in the way or to break.
Joe
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

No doors here either.......... 8)
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Well, I'm just gonna have to be the first to step in here and say that I like having a door on my case!!! :P

I have a Cooler Master Cavalier 3 and the door is made of a sturdy thick aluminum that you can switch to open in either direction. I like it because it quiets the sound of my optical drives A LOT when they are burning or reading from the CD. I hate watching a movie or playing a game and then you hear a loud buzzing/whirring noise right next to you! :evil:

If the door didn't open any way I wanted, then I probably wouldn't like it. But the fact that I can make it open to the left or to the right is invaluable.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I don't like doors but have had one now for years and it never bothers me a bit.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I also would prefer not having a door, but having a door doesn't bother me too much... I'm used to it by now.

There's no doubt that recent cases with doors are geared toward the lan party environment. Most cases with doors also have locks so you can have a DVD or CD playing and you can walk away for a few minutes and not worry about someone ganking your disk...

The doors also provide a nice looking case for those who still have white or beige colored optical drives since they are hidden behind the case door.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

I like the door on my comp. Cuts down on some noise from the front fan when i am not really using it. Also, it makes it look more like a piece of furnature than a computer box. It also covers up that i have gray dvd drives on black base :)
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

if there is a case that i like that has one i will get it. if there is a case i like that doesnt, i will get it.

sometimes its an annoyance, but other times its kind of nice to have because it keeps things flush and nice looking. LOL
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Hmm... well, how to put it...

For me, most doors are simply a necessary evil.
There just doesn't seem to be any semblence of standardization in terms of color/hue/shade/texture/etc for CD/DVD/floppy drives, and that without bezels (which very very few cases include) or a door, the case just looks ugly as hell.

Preferably, an ideal case would have bezels to accomodate for any accessory, or more realistically a door that actually opens and closes smoothly and feels solid instead of the normal cheap flimsy plastic.

I actually considered a floppy for my SFF but there just wasn't going to be any way for me to do it without completely hacking up the bezel which I didn't want to do. Sanding down the 5.25" drive bay bezel and attaching it to my CDRW with foam tape was as far as I went.