Artic Cooling Freezer 64pro

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Artic Cooling Freezer 64pro

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I just put my order in for one. It got the same temps and noise as the high dollar ones and same "grade" as the higher end ones like the zalman cnps9500LED. So for the money i figured what the heck. I currently have the Zalman CNPS7700 and saw the Freezer 64pro did a lot better job than it. When i get it i will let you know how my OC goes on my 3800 x2

http://www.velocityreviews.com/reviews/ ... _64_Pro/3/
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

holy crap! that thing looks like it would fall off it is so heavy looking.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

bigblockmatt wrote:holy crap! that thing looks like it would fall off it is so heavy looking.
well look at the Zalman fan, the cnps9500led!!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

unfortunatelly I think you made a pretty bad choice choosing this cooler. it isn't better then the stock cooler. the main reason for this is that the heatpipes aren't soldered to the fins, so heat is not transfered well.
read more here in this review:

http://www.hardwarelogic.com/news/62/AR ... 02-01.html

The results are a mixed bag. Keeping the CPU vCore on auto (1.37v), the temperatures in my testbed didn't budget when swapping out the AMD heatsink. While this is at first disappointing, one has to consider that the Freezer 64 Pro is noticeably more quiet, yet it's not sacrificing any performance. In fact, it's a good 6C cooler once I lowered the stock heatsink to a comparable noise level. In that respect, it's pretty impressive. Still, I was a bit disappointed that the temperatures didn't budge on a dual-core processor with both coolers running at peak performace. Whether you view this as as a knock against the Freezer 64 Pro or as a testament to the quality of AMD's stock heatpipe cooler is up to you.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

sbohdan wrote:unfortunatelly I think you made a pretty bad choice choosing this cooler. it isn't better then the stock cooler. the main reason for this is that the heatpipes aren't soldered to the fins, so heat is not transfered well.
read more here in this review:

The results are a mixed bag. Keeping the CPU vCore on auto (1.37v), the temperatures in my testbed didn't budget when swapping out the AMD heatsink. While this is at first disappointing, one has to consider that the Freezer 64 Pro is noticeably more quiet, yet it's not sacrificing any performance. In fact, it's a good 6C cooler once I lowered the stock heatsink to a comparable noise level. In that respect, it's pretty impressive. Still, I was a bit disappointed that the temperatures didn't budge on a dual-core processor with both coolers running at peak performace. Whether you view this as as a knock against the Freezer 64 Pro or as a testament to the quality of AMD's stock heatpipe cooler is up to you.
systemcooling.com Also done a review and it beats the stock cooler by ~6C when used with AS5 and the fan @ full speed.......

frostytech.com also says it "cool"...

techpowerup.com gave it good marks

This was the first 3 google results I clicked on......
It's always good to read a number of reviews B4 passing judgement ;)

It's still not as good as some, but I'd say it will work well
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

what do you guys expect from a sub $30 cooling solution?
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I would tend to trust Lee's results more than just about anyone elses when it comes to testing any type of cooling solution. He uses all top of the line test equipment that takes all the guessing out of the temp and incorrect Bios readings.
If Lee says it gets a ~6 improvement over the stock cooler, I would bet that it REALLY does.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Apoptosis wrote:what do you guys expect from a sub $30 cooling solution?
I would expect them to solder the fins to the heatpipes. otherwise the whole heatpipe structure makes no sense :? :ANAL:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah, but then again i expected them to build my house right for $150,000+ LOL
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

sbohdan wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:what do you guys expect from a sub $30 cooling solution?
I would expect them to solder the fins to the heatpipes. otherwise the whole heatpipe structure makes no sense :? :ANAL:
There's a ton of HSF on the market that don't solder the fins to the heat pipes, they just press fit them, and they work just fine.
As a matter of fact, I just looked at 2 thermotake (Big Typhoon and Sonic Tower) 1 VapoChill and a Scythe, all with aluminum fins, and they all were press fits. Soldering copper to aluminum fins isn't always the best solution.......... :shock:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

yeah, but in this case if you look closely, the fins don't even touch, that's why they are cold to the touch under heavy load, which clearly idicates poor thermal dissipation :rolleyes:
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

well i read many articles and reviews including MAXPC and all said had same results as the cnps9500led +- 1 or 2c. so i figured it was worth it. it may not be as a good as the top modles but for what i have and the price it will fit my minor oc needs. All in all i hope i made the right choice!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

if all else fails you can solder it yourself... not hard to do and if you do that and write something up i'll be more than happy to post it on the main page. I think it would be interesting to see if it helps and if so by how much.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Apoptosis wrote:if all else fails you can solder it yourself... not hard to do and if you do that and write something up i'll be more than happy to post it on the main page. I think it would be interesting to see if it helps and if so by how much.
now that's a good idea :P
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

well i got the cooler today and brought my pc to work and installed it (love my job) a lot of dead time. When i get home i will take and post pics.

As far as soldering the fins to the heat pipes it will be next to impossible. the fins look like they are crimped to each heat pipe and will more of a hassle to take off then it is really worth. I dont want to bend or break fins(would look funny returning it to Z.Z.F.) LOL They are attached quite tightly though, i tried pulling the top one off as much as i could without bending the fin and would not budge. LOL

edit/update.... HERE are the pics of it, i havent had it long enough to really do some temp comparisons and really put it through some tests with super pi and stuff. But the little i have had it i have noticed a small decrease in temps of about 3-5c. dont know if it is solid or not but when i get more i will post.

[img]ftp://mulanserving.homeftp.net/AC5/IMG_3251.jpg[/img]
[img]ftp://mulanserving.homeftp.net/AC5/IMG_3252.jpg[/img]

A close up of the fins and the heatpipes
[img]ftp://mulanserving.homeftp.net/AC5/IMG_3257.jpg[/img]

may not be the most asthetic looking HSF but it sure is nice and much quieter than my CNPS7700
[img]ftp://mulanserving.homeftp.net/AC5/IMG_3259.jpg[/img]
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

i know i am double posting and forgive me but i finally got a program to register my temps correctly..
http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=3602

i gave temps and stuff but.....
idle @ 2.3 3800x2 37c and load 49c. My computer isnt in the best location for cooling and i know i could get better, but for now with what all i have done i consider it a job well done. LOL
One4yu2c
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by One4yu2c »

sbohdan wrote:unfortunatelly I think you made a pretty bad choice choosing this cooler. it isn't better then the stock cooler[...]
kenc51 wrote:systemcooling.com Also done a review and it beats the stock cooler by ~6C when used with AS5 and the fan @ full speed.......

frostytech.com also says it "cool"...

techpowerup.com gave it good marks
Bio-Hazard wrote:If Lee says it gets a ~6 improvement over the stock cooler, I would bet that it REALLY does.
Hey all,

I wrote the above review and felt this thread needed a clarification. The stock cooler that the Freezer 64 Pro was compared to is the newer version that AMD is shipping with their dual-core X2 processors (3800+ X2 excluded). AMD's heatpipe design is a pretty good improvement over what they've been traditionaly bundling with their CPUs. With many people jumping on the dual-core bandwagon, I used a 4400+ X2 as the basis for the testbed, which ships with a very good cooler (excuse the MaximumPC hat, I originally posted this pic on their forum):

The reviews pointed out above looked at single core processors. Their testbeds included:
  • SystemCooling = 3200+ Newcastle, temps ranging from 39C-45C
    TechPowerUp = 3000+ Venice, temps in the 20s
    FrostyTech = homebrew test platform, temps 23.4C-26.6C above ambient

Mine = 4400+ X2, 41C-47C @ stock voltage
    HardwareOverclockAustria (see note below) = 4800+ X2, 41C-49C
    Dragon_Cooler (see note below) = 3800+ X2, 37C-49C
For the reviews found on Google that compare temps to the stock unit, they're using the 'older' heatsinks that are not as well designed as the new ones. This is the reason why the Freezer 64 Pro didn't have a better showing in mine, at least comparatively, as I was using the improved stock cooler. The one other review I found on Google that used a dual-core X2 as the testbed (Austria OC, as recorded above) had reported temperatures very similar to what I got. Now that Dragon_Cooler right here in this thread has had a chance to install his and record the temps, his are right in line with what I found as well (also recorded above).

To summarize, the Freezer 64 Pro is going to have a better showing on a single-core processor when compared to the older heatsink design. If you throw the Freezer 64 Pro on a dual-core X2 that ships with an improved stock heatsink that utilizes heatpipes (anything above a 3800+ X2 - I *believe* these still ship with the non-heatpipe design), it's not going to demolish the stock unit as has been the case previously. There is definitely a noticeable noise advantage with the Freezer 64 Pro, but from strictly a comparative performance standpoint, anyone picking up one of these units to replace the newer stock designs may find themselves disappointed with the results. It's a good performer in and of itself, but so are the new heatpipe based X2 units.

On a side note, I did find a review over on ThinkComputers that takes a look at these new X2 coolers. Anyone interested can take a peek ----> LINK
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

As a rule, I never use a air cooler unless it's for a review and as soon as the review is over, it's back to water. Water only in my house, IMHO, it's the only way to cool a OC'd CPU and GPU............ :shock:
One4yu2c
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by One4yu2c »

Bio-Hazard wrote:As a rule, I never use a air cooler unless it's for a review and as soon as the review is over, it's back to water. Water only in my house, IMHO, it's the only way to cool a OC'd CPU and GPU............ :shock:
Even for non-OC'd rigs, a compelling argument can be made for a water cooling setup. There are some relatively inexpensive kits out there that, while still more expensive than a good air cooling unit, they make for great gateways for new users to get a foot in the door in playing with water. When/if they move onto the art of overclocking, they'll have to better cooling experience already under their belt.

That aside, I didn't really touch on OCing in my clarification above. My main objective was to clarify why the AC64 Pro didn't compare as well to the stock heatsink in my review than what people are accostomed to seeing in the majority of write-ups out there (I was initially suprised at the results as well). The temp reductions were minimal at stock speeds, which is not so much a knock against the Freezer 64 Pro as it is a praise for AMD's new and improved heatpipe heatsinks. In fact, I just got through posting a review of Thermaltake's new Silent Boost RX K8 and it didn't do any better ---> LINK Image

EDIT: Madshrimps also recently took a look at these new stock units, though they got their hands on the version that has four heatpipes protruding from each side (as opposed to two) ---> LINK:
  • "If you still have the time, you could click on the thumb nails below to view each of the screen shots. This may be important to many, as we are talking about a product that performs close to a popular 3rd party heatsink and at no charge let alone it comes with three years warranty on CPU[...]Yes, I was surprised with the result, so much that I retested, remounted the Thermalright XP-90 twice in two days just to make sure.[...]Give credit where credit is due. I do believe some people will be looking for this stock cooler at eBay soon enough. I will be one of them. Let's hope AMD will pack this cooler with every Athlon 64/FX/Opteron they sell. Most importantly, I wish Intel will do something similar."
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

well its a shame that it has come to this. LOL Seeing these new real reviews on the coolers. I just wish that people would end up doing that in the first place. Like i said i know it isnt the best and there are better ones, but for the money it certianly was better than my zalman7700.

Also something that has those temps that high is where my computer is located, under my desk where no good airflow can get in and espeically not out so all that hot air just builds up under my desk. (big temperature change from the top and bottom of my desk)

Tomorrow(i dont have time today) but i will take my computer out and test it that way and see if there really is a big change in temp on location of my comp.

here is an old pic of where it currently.....

[img]ftp://mulanserving.homeftp.net/IMG_0077%5B1%5D2.jpg[/img]