Cooling hose question

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Cooling hose question

Post by Fogey »

I'm in the process of getting togeather various parts for water cooling.
As an old school builder of custom bikes back in the late 70's I used stainless steel covered oil lines for the external oil cooler. So, any of you guys using Stainless steel braided cooling lines for water cooling? I can't find much info on it in the computer haunts, only info on Tygon and regular clear vinyl.
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Cooling hose question

Post by TheGeekMistress »

Fogey wrote:I'm in the process of getting togeather various parts for water cooling.
As an old school builder of custom bikes back in the late 70's I used stainless steel covered oil lines for the external oil cooler. So, any of you guys using Stainless steel braided cooling lines for water cooling? I can't find much info on it in the computer haunts, only info on Tygon and regular clear vinyl.
i've never seen any, but i think maybe b/c the tubing for the stainless steel weaved tubing is a bad type of rubber. i remember when that stuff got old from the heat/cool cycle the black tubing would crumble and smear on your fingers; or else (and i've read thise b4 about psu sleeving) is that the stainless weave is electrically conductive and could possibly short out computer components.

TGM
+ DFI LanParty-UT NF3 250GB skt754
+ Bios Rev. TMOD's 06/23/2005
+ A64 Newark Mobile 4000+ @ 5000+ (9x341) 3070mhz | Idle 30C Load 39C
+ Asetek Waterchill BIX Dual
+ 2x512 G.Skill 1GBLA TCCD @ DDR512 (CPUz 256mhz 2.0-3-3-6-1T)
+ XFX 7800GS OC'd to 460/1500
+ SATA150 2x WD360Raptors NVRaid RAID-0
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Cooler Master CMStacker case
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

TheGeekMistress wrote:i've never seen any, but i think maybe b/c the tubing for the stainless steel weaved tubing is a bad type of rubber. i remember when that stuff got old from the heat/cool cycle the black tubing would crumble and smear on your fingers; or else (and i've read thise b4 about psu sleeving) is that the stainless weave is electrically conductive and could possibly short out computer components.

TGM

First reason is not a problem whats so ever, the quality of braided steel lines is 100% better than anything that is normally used in water cooling loops. The second reason is one reason why people don't use it alot, but if you are careful in running your loops, there really isn't any reason why you can't use it in your system.

My guess as to why people don't use it all that often is the overall end cost of the tubing and finding a way to cleanly finish off the cut ends so that it looks good.

Years ago I had a set of lines made out of it along with aircraft end fittings. It looked great, but was a pain when it came to changing blocks and pumps and whatnot. All you need is some quality flexable tubing, it'll be cheaper and easier to work with in the long run.
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Here is a place I found a little info on and have an E mail into them about it
http://www.sps-canada.com/int_httpd/tin ... n/std.html
I found the anti static interesting. Fluid flowing through almost any plastic tube/hose, would in theory, could, maybe cause a static charge. Never gave that issue a thought.

I know when I was working with SS lines in the biking days it was a pain in the the arsh to work with but looked real nice. You need to cut the stuff with an abrasive weel type cutter to get a smooth cut. Just thought I'd ask since I'm new to the water cooling end of it. So very much to learn on this issue

Off the subject question for TGM- Do you have a good sense of Humour as in I have an idea for a question of your t1-t2 setting in reference to the one DFI MB issue?
Last edited by Fogey on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Bio-Hazard wrote:
TheGeekMistress wrote:i've never seen any, but i think maybe b/c the tubing for the stainless steel weaved tubing is a bad type of rubber. i remember when that stuff got old from the heat/cool cycle the black tubing would crumble and smear on your fingers; or else (and i've read thise b4 about psu sleeving) is that the stainless weave is electrically conductive and could possibly short out computer components.

TGM

First reason is not a problem whats so ever, the quality of braided steel lines is 100% better than anything that is normally used in water cooling loops. The second reason is one reason why people don't use it alot, but if you are careful in running your loops, there really isn't any reason why you can't use it in your system.

My guess as to why people don't use it all that often is the overall end cost of the tubing and finding a way to cleanly finish off the cut ends so that it looks good.

Years ago I had a set of lines made out of it along with aircraft end fittings. It looked great, but was a pain when it came to changing blocks and pumps and whatnot. All you need is some quality flexable tubing, it'll be cheaper and easier to work with in the long run.
no problem what so ever aye?

well, you can just go ahead and have that opinion, then try it for real for yourself in your own high end computer.
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Fogey wrote:Here is a place I found a little info on and have an E mail into them about it
http://www.sps-canada.com/int_httpd/tin ... n/std.html
I found the anti static interesting. Fluid flowing through almost any plastic tube/hose, would in theory, could, maybe cause a static charge. Never gave that issue a thought.

I know when I was working with SS lines in the biking days it was a pain in the the arsh to work with but looked real nice. You need to cut the stuff with an abrasive weel type cutter to get a smooth cut. Just thought I'd ask since I'm new to the water cooling end of it. So very much to learn on this issue

Off the subject question for TGM- Do you have a good sense of Humour as in I have an idea for an answer to your t1-t2 setting in reference to the one DFI MB issue?
i hope i do, lol...... go for it

TGM
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

TheGeekMistress wrote:
Bio-Hazard wrote:

TGM

no problem what so ever aye?

well, you can just go ahead and have that opinion, then try it for real for yourself in your own high end computer.
LOL.......I have, been water cooling a day or 2 now.............. :shock:
The way I see it, if the tubing can withstand 3000 PSI in a helicopter hydrolic system running those high temps and so one, it'll more than stand up to any silly water cooling system. You just have to be smart enough to use the correct type of braided steel tubing, there is more than just one type don't you know.............. :shock:
I can pretty much bet I've put together and or reviewed more water cooling systems than the average bear............. 8)
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

my reason in not wanting to, which i stated in the first place was b/c the stainless steel is electrically conductive.

the rest is your opinion and i would not go by it.

Tygon mpre than enough for water cooling purposes. it's not like it's under high pressure anyways. geez
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Your first excuse was, which is totally false" High quality braided tubing has a teflon lining, so there is no problem.

"but i think maybe b/c the tubing for the stainless steel weaved tubing is a bad type of rubber. i remember when that stuff got old from the heat/cool cycle the black tubing would crumble and smear on your fingers;"

So I don't think I would follow any opinion from someone that hasn't used it in the past.

There is ZERO reason for him not to use it if he has the stuff or wants to put out the extra money to buy it.

As for it being conductive, that's a given as I've stated and if the loop is cleanly run (as it should be in the first place, there won't be a problem with it coming into contact with anything.

He wants pretty, I think he spelled that out pertty clearly in his OP.

As for Tygon, it's a waste of money also, you can get just as good of tubing at McMaster-Carr for a 1/4 of the price.

GEEZ............ 8)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

:|
Last edited by stev on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Bio-Hazard wrote:Your first excuse was, which is totally false" High quality braided tubing has a teflon lining, so there is no problem.

"but i think maybe b/c the tubing for the stainless steel weaved tubing is a bad type of rubber. i remember when that stuff got old from the heat/cool cycle the black tubing would crumble and smear on your fingers;"

So I don't think I would follow any opinion from someone that hasn't used it in the past.

There is ZERO reason for him not to use it if he has the stuff or wants to put out the extra money to buy it.

As for it being conductive, that's a given as I've stated and if the loop is cleanly run (as it should be in the first place, there won't be a problem with it coming into contact with anything.

He wants pretty, I think he spelled that out pertty clearly in his OP.

As for Tygon, it's a waste of money also, you can get just as good of tubing at McMaster-Carr for a 1/4 of the price.

GEEZ............ 8)
now you're just repeating yourself, and your comments to me aren't even directed to this thread. you're just flaming me about what i say, thats what you've turned this thread into. and i don't care what you think or how much you think you know. this thread isn't about me and my knowledge. the crap you're trying to make up to flame me with, isn't even in any post i made. so get off your high horse and grow up. this is my first post that you alluded to, btw, the only post i ever intended to make is this one, my fist one
i've never seen any, but i think maybe b/c the tubing for the stainless steel weaved tubing is a bad type of rubber. i remember when that stuff got old from the heat/cool cycle the black tubing would crumble and smear on your fingers; or else (and i've read thise b4 about psu sleeving) is that the stainless weave is electrically conductive and could possibly short out computer components.

TGM
this is Fogey's Cooling hose question thread;not flame the girl thread. i made the first comment and admitedly said i wasn't sure about the stainless tubing he was asking his question about but i said i wouldn't run it b/c of it's electrically conductive properties, <-- my opinion get it?

i still wouldn't use anything that's electrically conductive like i first said, in my computer. i will use a tygon type of tubing. i really don't care to hear your opinion about what i say anymore. i don't need your help. a thread is where everyone can comment and if someone knows something more about the subject, they add on or politely correct; SO QUIT BASHING ME

so let's get back on track about for Fogey're Question, Please

TGM

p.s. sorry that your thread got shyte on
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Can we keep this thread on-topic pls! (rich coming from me lol)

I think the point made is, that alsong as the cable is cut neatly then there is no chance of any metal treads getting in contact with anything

IMO any tubing which can stand the pressure (or lack of), corrosion and is water tight will do........

Sorry TGM but I also think Tygon is over rated too IMO...

Fogey --> It's your thread.......Cooling hose questions/answers only pls!
guys deal with any other crap via PM or a new thread.........

GEEZ ;)

We know no malace is intended
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

kenc51 wrote:Can we keep this thread on-topic pls! (rich coming from me lol)

I think the point made is, that alsong as the cable is cut neatly then there is no chance of any metal treads getting in contact with anything

IMO any tubing which can stand the pressure (or lack of), corrosion and is water tight will do........

GEEZ ;)

well, i'm not runnign tygon myself, but i see a lot of people using it. i just have std. silicon tubing... and i'll never mess with vinyl again, lol.

what type tubing are you using?
and what additives are good? i know WW is out, but what about ZRSC?
and what additive do you think won't "eat" your tubing?

TGM
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Last edited by stev on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Last edited by stev on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

TheGeekMistress wrote:
kenc51 wrote:Can we keep this thread on-topic pls! (rich coming from me lol)

GEEZ ;)

well, i'm not runnign tygon myself, but i see a lot of people using it. i just have std. silicon tubing... and i'll never mess with vinyl again, lol.

what type tubing are you using?

TGM
I just use what ever Innovatek sell with their kits......
I started out using a Asetek WaterChill kit.....I started changing parts...and went with Innovatek. Simply because a guy nearby sells their stuff..

I don't know what it's made of, but it's soft, doesn't kink easy, has always stayed clear and is cheap ;)

I also use Innovatek's Protect IP+.....It doesn't require distiled water (use it anyway) and again is cheap....
I've seen alot of H2O setups where the water turns cloudy or the waterblock gets "stained"....People either add UV dye etc. to hide it...
I was running a setup like the current one (except a gfx block on my x800xtpe) for over a year...changed the water once only and the inside of my xx-flow block is still brand new.....not to mention the tubing is still crystal clear ;) ==> I only add ~ 1/16 part additive the rest is plain 'ol distilled h2o...
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

stev wrote:
TheGeekMistress wrote: what type tubing are you using?
TGM

TGM,

You got in through the backdoor. Good job on getting my goat. :)

A. I basically use Superthane.

A. No additives.

A. Only mix distilled water with PG (propylene glycol) coolant. The stuff found in most salad dressings, gummy bears, children cereals, etc. FDA approved. With a dog and six children I got to keep them living if an accident ever happened. :mrgreen:

Stev
hehe, sometimes that happens. happened to me a couple times, writting up a nice post, only to have someone already post what i was goingto post, lol

but anyways, thanx for the recommended tubing. is there any way to tell what type of tubing you have if you bought it in a kit? i'm not a n00b to water cooling. i've done a couple of setups, first was back in 2000, but i never got into the technical details as the water cooling was for clients/friends. this is my first time setting up my own equipment with water cooling and i want to do it right the first time, with the good stuffs. :)

and what do you think about this replacement fluid?
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/MCT-5-No ... 16387.html

TGM
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

kenc51 wrote:I just use what ever Innovatek sell with their kits......
I started out using a Asetek WaterChill kit.....I started changing parts...and went with Innovatek. Simply because a guy nearby sells their stuff..

I don't know what it's made of, but it's soft, doesn't kink easy, has always stayed clear and is cheap ;)

I also use Innovatek's Protect IP+.....It doesn't require distiled water (use it anyway) and again is cheap....
I've seen alot of H2O setups where the water turns cloudy or the waterblock gets "stained"....People either add UV dye etc. to hide it...
I was running a setup like the current one (except a gfx block on my x800xtpe) for over a year...changed the water once only and the inside of my xx-flow block is still brand new.....not to mention the tubing is still crystal clear ;) ==> I only add ~ 1/16 part additive the rest is plain 'ol distilled h2o...
hmm, i dunno what to use. i'm thinking i might go with 90% Distilled and 10% Zerex Racing Super Coolant and i have no clue what my tubing is. i'm guessing it's silicon b/c i can bend it into a pretzel and there's no kinks, but that may change once it's warmed up from the coolant and being inside my case; for that i bought some cool sleeves.

i have the Asetek Waterchill Dual BIX 285gph system. i bought the chipset and vga blocks with the kit, altho i wish i hadn't now. i've had to mod the mounts on the blocks for clearence. and the kit comes with WW.

TGM
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Thanks for the replies. I have other questions on Water cooling but am hesitant to ask.

I am a newb on Water cooling and OCing. I do however know a lot more about computers/programing than I let on. I'm not here to bolster my ego or burst any one elses. I'm here to learn, maybee make a few new on line friends. Who knows! Regardless of my background and level of overall knowledge and computer skills, someone whom is doing something I have not ventured in to yet will have made mistakes, learnt lessons, sometimes costly ones that they may save me from making. I ask these question to seek guideance, to learn, not to spark trouble. I chose Legit Reviews, they did not chose me! I chose Legit Reviews for the caliber of quality people, their knowlege, insight and wanting to helping others. That's why I'm here, not for some of the text I see above.

TGM: You have a lot of Computer/Ocing/Watercooling experience and knowledge that people can benfit from. You no doubt spent a lot of time to hone your skills to the level you are now at. Now that you have reached this pinacle of Computer knowledge, perhaps it would be nice to review ones tack on dealing with others. Thanks
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Last edited by stev on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.