New Waterblock.....*56k warning*

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

New Waterblock.....*56k warning*

Post by kenc51 »

Bio.....I'm looking to you for this ;) (or stev)

http://www.alphacool.de/xt/product_info ... _18_66_173

I want to get a new waterblock, I'm thinking of one of Swiftech's blocks or the Alphacool NexXxoS XP......
The NexXxoS block is supposed to be a great performer too.....
The reason why I'm thinking of Alphacool is because I can buy everything I need in one place (extra Laing DDC pump / SLI chipset block / reservoir)

Any opinions on this block?
The setup will be the following:
1.) Alphacool NexXxoS XP
2.) NexXxoS NB-SLI (chipset block)
3.) 2x Laing DDC pumps (MCP350)
4.) 1x 120mm Rad & 1x dual 12mm rad
5.) Innovatek G70 GFX block
new reservoir too

I presume 2x laing MCP350 pumps in series will easilly have enough head to run this loop ok? I don't want to get a MCP655 due to space and also I've heard they make a bit of noise?
Oh and the IHS will be coming off my X2 too.......

Thanx
Ken

all this will cost me, but what's new..... :roll:
Last edited by kenc51 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The NexXxoS block is a super performer for the smaller tube systems (I have one here). For the lower flow small tube systems, there aren't many that will perform any better. Alphacool makes some of the best looking top performers over in Europe.
As for the extra pump, you may want to try the loop with just one at first as the new plus version of the MCP350 performs very close to the MCP655 out of the box and in small tube systems the MCP350 is a much better choice. There is a warning from Laing on using the D4/D5 (on high setting) in cooling loops with tubing smaller than 3/8 inch, so they are not the best choice if you are using anything smaller.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Thanks!!!!

I'll be getting all that's listed.....hopefully this week ;)

I'm using the first version of that pump.....since I added the extra single ran and placed the dual rad outside the case, the flow rate is next to nothing (alot of tubing used!)

I'll be sure to add results of my current setup, then using 2 pumps, then with the new block and finally with the IHS off........ ;)

Edit:
List of parts.....ordering this evening ;)

1 x FAN 120x120x25 SilenX iXtrema Pro 11dBA 23,90 EUR
2 x Screw angle AG 1/4' on 10/8mm 5,38 EUR
1 x WAK MB Alphacool NexXxoS NB-SLI 1 Northbridge 29,99 EUR
1 x PUM Laing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1Plus 74,90 EUR
6 x Hose Pur 10/8mm high transparent: 13,74 EUR
4 x Screw connector rotary 1/4" to 10/8mm: 9,56 EUR
1 x Cape AGB2 Natural polished: 21,90 EUR
1 x CPU Alphacool NexXxoS XP Socket 754/939/940/FX/Opteron 39,99 EUR
2 x Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5: 11,80 EUR
2 x Water additive FluroProtect green UV: 8,98 EUR

Sub-Total: 240,14 EUR
DHL Germany (Dispatch to IE: (1 x 6.79 kg)): 22,00 EUR
incl. UST 16%: 33,12 EUR
Total: 262,14 EUR :shock: all i want is a block ;)
Last edited by kenc51 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Sounds good............. :)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

:|
Last edited by stev on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Thanks guys.....I editted the last post with pricing :shock:

But you get what you pay for, I've included some "extras" which are not essential ;)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Last edited by stev on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Last edited by stev on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

stev wrote:Ken,

You came in on the back door of my last post. :P

Anyways, you can do the cooling loop with one pump as you had listed from you recent price update. Good work.

Stev
Nahh.....Since it's coming from Germany...I may aswell and get a second pump....My current pump has issues.....sometimes it doesn't start and I have to "encourage" it to do so.......So I'm thinking... adding a second one will take care of that, along with a higher flow rate ;)
I get paid again on Friday and somehow this month I have "disposable" income :shock:

man in the last 4mths I have spent sooo much! (see sig)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

There was a run of pumps that had the startup issue, you might want to contact the retailer where you got it and see if they will replace the pump. It shouldn't be a problem, as far as I remember all the folks retailing the faulty version were replacing them without any questions asked, it was a well documented problem.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Bio-Hazard wrote:There was a run of pumps that had the startup issue, you might want to contact the retailer where you got it and see if they will replace the pump. It shouldn't be a problem, as far as I remember all the folks retailing the faulty version were replacing them without any questions asked, it was a well documented problem.
I read about that after I got it, I got it as a present from my old boss in work.......
She now works "upstairs" and I doubt she still has the invoice :(
It's not too much of a prob, it doesn't happen often and now since I have the system stable I won't be turning it off ;P
just the price you pay for being an early adopter of hardware.......My ocz plat rev2. (tccd) has a jedec pcb too ](*,)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

1 last question.......Does using a shroud on the rad make much of a difference? I'll be ordering soon...........
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Last edited by stev on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'll have to second that, I use very large shrouds myself based on what I got out of Stev and his boss a few years back. For a 120mm fan the shroud back spacing should be the diamiter of the center hub of the fan used if possible, but not less than 1".

There have been some tests run on the new Thermochill radiators where they say a shroud offered no performance gains, but I haven't reviewed one of those radiators yet, so I can only go by what they post on their web site. I'm hoping to get one of their PA 120 x 3 for review here before to much longer, then we'll see............. 8)

http://www.thermochill.com/pa1203.php

On my main rig I have 2 custom made Weapon shrouds that I got from the maker when they just came out. I also have a few prototypes from them also for testing.

kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

That settles it, I'll get a shroud for the large HX......thanks!
stev wrote:You'll need to split the flow from the reservoir to the two DDC-1 PLUS pumps. Just make sure the flow tube is from the reservoir to the "Y" fitting is short and from the "Y" fitting to the pumps is short. This will reduce the flow restriction of the two pumps fighting for fluid.

Next, on one loop coming out from a pump, put your CPU and NB/PCI-E chipset and the larger HX.

Secondly, on the second loop from it's pump, put your GPU's and the small HX.

Both loops should return back to the reservoir. Depending on the reservoir you pick, you may not need a return "Y" or possibly a "Y" going to the two pumps. I would choose the later. Getting a reservoir that has two outlets for two pumps and a return using the "Y" if need be.

The Cooling Works drive bay reservoir comes to mind. This reservoir can be used other than in the drive bay too.

Stev
This is the res I ordered, link

Should I still split the flow? (I got Y connectors incase anyway)

The parts should be arriving soon so ;)

:edit:
Also stev, you said the cold block will get eroded away if the water pressure is to much. How quickly or how long would my setup last b4 peformance would be affected.....'cause if it's over a year or two then who cares :p
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

It'll take years and years before you'll notice any lose in performance............. :shock: I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just make sure that it stays clean.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Last edited by stev on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

stev wrote:
kenc51 wrote:Also stev, you said the cold block will get eroded away if the water pressure is to much. How quickly or how long would my setup last b4 peformance would be affected.....'cause if it's over a year or two then who cares :p

Well, it would be somewhat difficult to say. If you'll use a low flow pump, it could be a decade or more, a high flow pump could a hand full of years. Also, the copper being used would need to meet a good hardness spec. The standard CDA-110 would show wear, over time, starting along the grooves where the nozzle jets would spray onto.

Have you ever looked at a stream or water falls to notice the erosion by water onto rocks? When a crack is exposed in a rock, water by force will open it up in time.
Ahh.....From your fist post I was thought the copper was soft......I don't care if it looses ~5% performance 2yrs from now........I'll prolly be using a newer and better setup by then, so who cares? :)

Hoprfully I should get these parts either 2moro or Wed.......
Only problem is, I'l working till 10pm all week...... ](*,)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

There's always room for a little quality time with your water cooled computer......... :P
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Bio-Hazard wrote:There's always room for a little quality time with your water cooled computer......... :P
I got to bed @ ~4:30am on Sat, 5am last night.......When these blocks arrive......It looks like it might be an all nighter... :shock:
Still who needs sleep, when you can spend hours cutting hoses..watching/comparing temps.....LOL

the next challenge will be to make all the runs short and neat.....plus some general cable management -> I'll finally be able to put the side panel back on 8)

Thanks for all the help Bio & stev!!!