Corsair Nautilus 500 Radiator Modifications Improved Cooling

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Bio-Hazard wrote:There's a point of diminishing returns when it comes to fan CFM vs cooling performance. The stock radiator is sort of small and after around 80 CFM you won't get a lot of improvment in performance. Same thig applies to going with a better radiator, a BI pro for example, your gains will only go so far before you hit a wall and going to a larger radiator (or more radiators) will be your only option.

B-H, you said a lot there and so did sbinh about the 100CFM fan.

No, the N500 isn't limited by the CFM on the air side once the speaker grill is removed and flow is improved. The N500 is cold-plate limited by the base thickness I had mentioned just a few postings prior.

The N500 will get more of a kick in performance, even when the CPU is under load, if taken 0.5mm~0.8mm off of the cold-plate base. This in turn will amplify the micro-channel sufraces for heat transfer.

To remove the material, one would need to fixture the cold-block level to the grinding table. Next index the grinding wheel operation to remove 0.02mm at one given time across the entire base before making the next index to step down another 0.2mm.

Once the desired removal is achived, polish the base until it almost becomes a mirrored finish. A dull finish will perform better than a mirrored finish using thermal paste. If the base is level, no scratches deeper than 20~30 micron, the cold-block will perform greatly.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Smiffy
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Smiffy »

Apoptosis wrote:type G fittings should be easy to find in Europe as that is where they are used the most... tried all your local hardware and plumbing stores?
Cheers Apoptosis
What the equivalant size of 1/4bpst to 3/8th in G size.Sorry bit of a newbie on barb sizes.
Ta for any inf
Smiffy
dvazriel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by dvazriel »

Sorry to bring this thread back again.

But i want to try this mod, i called Danger Den and they dont seem to have any those elbows anymore.

Anyone got another idea?

So just to clear things up, i need 1/4 on the THREADED side right?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

They are Type G 3/8" on the barb side.... Danger Den should know which ones if you order the rad from them also... I'm sure they still carry these as the majority of their rads use Type G fittings and a 90 degree turn is pretty common for custom cooling loops.

Call Danger Den tomorrow and ask for Kathi or e-mail her directly (just use her name and then danger den). Be sure to tell her that Legit Reviews sent you (dropping our name helps a ton) :)
dvazriel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by dvazriel »

Apoptosis wrote:They are Type G 3/8" on the barb side.... Danger Den should know which ones if you order the rad from them also... I'm sure they still carry these as the majority of their rads use Type G fittings and a 90 degree turn is pretty common for custom cooling loops.

Call Danger Den tomorrow and ask for Kathi or e-mail her directly (just use her name and then danger den). Be sure to tell her that Legit Reviews sent you (dropping our name helps a ton) :)
I emailed them last week.

I sent this:
Im trying to follow this article http://forums.legitreviews.com/about6397-0-asc-0.html I need the radiator but the 90 degree fittings as well. Do you have then in stock? thanks.

And their reply was:

ello David,

We do not carry the G elbows. I am not sure who carries them.

Best regards,

Kathi

Danger Den
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I e-mailed Kathi tonight to see why they don't stock them any longer.

You are searching for 90 degree G1/4 – 3/8" barb, which any larger plumbing store should carry (in a major city). I have tried the home depot's and Lowes without luck for these fittings, so try the dedicated plumbing shops... a google search pulls some places up, but they are expensive.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

There's a lot of different online shops that carry those fittings.......;) I'll post you a link or 2 to help you on your merry way..........:)

Nylon Fitting 1/4 BPST (G 1/4") Threaded to Barbed Elbow - 3/8 OD - Black

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=21263

PrimoChill Black Nylon 1/4 BPST (G 1/4) threaded elbow- 3/8

http://www.moddersmart.com/index.php?ta ... uct_id=419
Last edited by Bio-Hazard on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

he needs the 3/8" barb and not he 1/4" barb though
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

That's what I thought I posted, but you know, everyone makes a mistake now and then, the shop carries all the different sizes............ :mrgreen:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

dvazriel wrote: I emailed them last week.

I sent this:
Im trying to follow this article http://forums.legitreviews.com/about6397-0-asc-0.html I need the radiator but the 90 degree fittings as well. Do you have then in stock? thanks.

And their reply was:

ello David,

Best regards,

Kathi

Danger Den
I just talked with Kathi and they do indeed have them in stock... She just sent me this:
Hello Nate,

I only have about 10 more in stock.

Best regards,

Kathi

Danger Den
They have them in stock, so not sure why they told you they didn't.
dvazriel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by dvazriel »

Apoptosis wrote:
dvazriel wrote: I emailed them last week.

I sent this:

And their reply was:

ello David,

Best regards,

Kathi

Danger Den
I just talked with Kathi and they do indeed have them in stock... She just sent me this:
Hello Nate,

I only have about 10 more in stock.

Best regards,

Kathi

Danger Den
They have them in stock, so not sure why they told you they didn't.
Sweet, so what EXACTLY you call them just to avoid confusion.

=)

Also what do you think of these?

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product. ... =89&page=1
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

read a few posts up where I said "you are searching for x".... Hate to repeat myself when I have already answered this.

As for that fitting... How would that work and fit in the Nautilus 500?
dvazriel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by dvazriel »

Apoptosis wrote:read a few posts up where I said "you are searching for x".... Hate to repeat myself when I have already answered this.

As for that fitting... How would that work and fit in the Nautilus 500?
'

Ya sorry, i didnt see it. Dont get mad at me

:axe:

As for the fitting, i dont know. I havent opened the Nautilus, that why im asking you, since ur the expert.

Im going to call Danger Den now and hopefully get everything started. =)

Well Kathy is gone for the day, so i guess ill try tomorrow.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

When I used the 90 degree barb with the thicker Tygon tubing the tubing actually touches the rounded cover when tightened, so you won't be able to go that high. I strong suggest taking yours apart and measure the room in the housing and compare it to the fan, radiator, fittings, the thickness of the tube and clamp that you are going to use before you start ordering everything. ;)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

You can search the US Plastics site as well.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/catego ... 915&Page=1

or look down the page some here ...

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/produc ... %5Fid=6756
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
dvazriel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by dvazriel »

Apoptosis wrote:When I used the 90 degree barb with the thicker Tygon tubing the tubing actually touches the rounded cover when tightened, so you won't be able to go that high. I strong suggest taking yours apart and measure the room in the housing and compare it to the fan, radiator, fittings, the thickness of the tube and clamp that you are going to use before you start ordering everything. ;)
Yay my radiator should get here tomorrow or so.

Any tips to avoid making a mess? :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

dvazriel wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:When I used the 90 degree barb with the thicker Tygon tubing the tubing actually touches the rounded cover when tightened, so you won't be able to go that high. I strong suggest taking yours apart and measure the room in the housing and compare it to the fan, radiator, fittings, the thickness of the tube and clamp that you are going to use before you start ordering everything. ;)
Yay my radiator should get here tomorrow or so.

Any tips to avoid making a mess? :)
Beer... Lots of beer before you do anything ;) Just take your time and no mess will be had!
dvazriel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by dvazriel »

Well. I finally finished. I did end up making a small mess but thats because i rush thru things.

One problem tho, is there an easy way to remove the stock clamps? they were a PITA.

I need to replace the short end tube, its kinda bent awkward in a 70 degree angle ( you have sorta like a 45 degree ), and i had to dremel a corner of the fan, i didnt cut much tho because i was kinda scared hehehe.

Anyways i;ll prolly take it apart tomorrow and try again to replace that tube, seriouly i could not remove the clamp in the back.
dvazriel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by dvazriel »

Well my pump died. I was pretty happy with my setup and my **** crashed, and didnt want to turn again. Loaded default and went into bios, i noticed that peculiar water moving sound was missing, i check tempuratures, and yup, it was on the 100's.

I dont know what happened, there was some fluid on top of the pump, but i never messed with the pump or the reservoir line. I tried to connect the pump directly into my computer and still no go. I get this burned motor oil smell.

I dunno what to do, im pretty sure i cant use my warranty, anyone know where i can get a RPL pump?

=(
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Any online store that sells quality water cooling gear should have that pump. It's basicly just a Swiftech MCP355/Lange DDC2 pump. Fairly expensive though.