Lapping Heatsink?

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Lapping Heatsink?

Post by Merlin »

What is involved in lapping a heatsink and how much help is it normally?
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

It can help alot. I lapped my Zalman and the CPU and got about 7C out of it. I think it was more the CPU than the heatsink though (it was really uneven.).
There are some professional lapping kits that have all the sandpaper and a sheet of glass for a sanding surface..
You can probably tell the heat sinks that need lapping. some you can drag a finger nail across and feel grooves and scratches.. some you can't really see or feel, it is just that they are uneven.
Last edited by LVCapo on Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The finger nail drag test is a good for checking smoothness, use a machinest rule to check for flatness............ :D Even some of the best HSF aren't all that smooth or flat. I lapped my Thermalright and then polished it and got a few degrees C more out of it. I also lapped my VGA silencer when I first got it, couldn't tell how much better it made it cause I lapped it before the first install............... :shock:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

yeah, it really wouldn't hurt anything to spend the $8 and get a professional lapping kit. Most anything this side of Polar-Flo waterblocks are sanded to a 600 grit finish. the lapping kits I have used and which are easy to get go up to 15 micron paper.
I used a sharpie and 99% rubbing alcohol, drew an "X" on the heatsink, and worked it every which way...
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I normally go up to 2000 wet/dry paper, then use a fine metal polish after to get that super shine on it. Clean with 99% rubbing alcohol........... 8)

I normally lap all my heat sinks.......... :shock: Except my new water blocks for my external project........ 8) Polarflo anyone............... :twisted:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

send those sinks over... I'll use them!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Yeah....Polar-flo. Tried to get a sample of their universal CPU block for a review. They were going to "let me" review them for $75 (but hey, they were going to pick up the shipping). I have heard they are the best blocks around, and I will end up just buying a set anyway. My next review will probably cover a few different radiators, their affects on prssure, as well as overall performance.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

Where can I find the lapping kit?
Merlin
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Just do a google search............. :shock: Almost any of the better online shops carry them these days.................. :D Cheaper just to go the your local auto parts store and get the sand paper there.............. 8) And just don't forget to get a scrap piece of glass somewhere............... :P
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

capper5016 wrote:Yeah....Polar-flo. Tried to get a sample of their universal CPU block for a review. They were going to "let me" review them for $75 (but hey, they were going to pick up the shipping). I have heard they are the best blocks around, and I will end up just buying a set anyway. My next review will probably cover a few different radiators, their affects on prssure, as well as overall performance.
I got lucky with my Polarflo blocks, I picked up a sponsor for my modding projects and they supplied the blocks. I was very very surprised and pleased to say the least............... :shock:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Bio i would stay away from rubbing alch and get some denatured from wallgreens or something like that, unless your getting 99% alch. Anything less leaves a film on your heat sink.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

And just don't forget to get a scrap piece of glass somewhere
call me a newb... but what is this for??? a flat surface to sand on?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Yeah nooooob!!!! Alot of the new lapping kits come with a square of glass for a ultra flat sanding surface. I see where some people recommend to wet the sandpaper with the alcohol, then it sticks to the glass and makes sanding easier
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm not a newb... whenever I want something lapped I send it to my buddies in Cali who have a machine that do just that...

hehe
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Some of are just lucky I guess............... :shock: I know a few people with machine shops............and they always want lots of money to do stuff like lapping............. :( So I do it myself when it needs to be done.

I always use a drop of dish washing soap to keep things lubed....... :shock: That's what the pro auto body painters use........or so my brother tells me anyway............But it does keep the fine metal particals off the paper..............works for me anyway................ :D
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I always use a drop of dish washing soap to keep things lubed.......
Someone insert "Mind-in-gutter" joke for that comment
Last edited by Apoptosis on Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

LOL....I pretty much figured that was coming............ :lol: Hand cream works better on your hands to keep them from chapping while you're lapping your heat sink............ :shock:
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

Thanks guys.
Merlin