CoolIT Eliminator

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
stinsonk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stinsonk »

So with the latest release, which of the main problems have been adressed/fixed and how well does the system perform under heavy loads (I run my E6400 at 3.2GHZ and 1.4v)

Thanks,
Kevin
insanenoodle
Legit User
Legit User

Post by insanenoodle »

i haven't tried adding the capacitor.. i dont see how a connector would've caused the issue. anyhow, has anyone tried adding the capacitor? if not, i'll try it i guess.
insanenoodle
Legit User
Legit User

Post by insanenoodle »

Kevin,

If the eliminator is working and is set on the high setting, it should cool an e6400 at 3.2 fine.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

just for the record my 1.04 revision Eliminator I got after I RMA'd my original unit has been working flawlessly my temps haven't gotten above 40c since I got it. That includes running maps thru all night compiles (100% loads). If you get an updated one its the best you can buy besides the Freezone.
stinsonk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stinsonk »

How would it compare to moderately good WC units like the koolance exos-2? Also did CoolIt systems fix the horrible mounting hardware or is it still the lovely old aluminium?

Cheers,
Kevin
bublic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bublic »

The hardware has changed with their latest revision, the eliminator i have now comes with steel mounting hardware. As for the performance it's a hit or miss with these things some people report great results while others are having problems with them (me) :cry:
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

well I used to have a double heater core, mag II pump and Danger Den TDX block and these temps are around 5-7 degrees cooler then that idle and around 7-10 degrees cooler under load.

If you get one make sure the PCB says TCM 1.04 or later or else the power plug connecting the TEC's to the TCM (thermal control module) will fry. A good way of seeing if you have TCM 1.04 or later is to look at the power connector connecting the TEC's to the TCM. It should be a square 4 pronged plug. If its not then id recommend RMA'ing it. If they hassle you about shipping it to Canada then fight with them and they will give in and allow you to use their courier service.
bublic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bublic »

Actually their newest revision has a two pin plug, like the old units and they also managed to get rid of the extra capacitor while keeping the unit operational, it also comes with steel mounting hardware.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

so if they took away the things that fixed the problem then how is there no longer a problem? :?

Im not calling you a liar or anything but it sounds like they took away the changes that fixed the problem to begin with.
bublic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bublic »

that's what they told me anyway, i talked to sean from coolit and he said that my unit was the latest, call them and see for yourself that they took away the extra cap, maybe they changed something else on the plate in order to keep it from frying

whats your model number? mine is D1-1004, date code 1407
Diabolus
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Diabolus »

http://www.overclex.net/watercooling/23 ... t-Freezone

Here is a link to a Coolit Eliminator review. The pics show the new TCM with the capacitor right on the board.
respek
Legit User
Legit User

Post by respek »

Just wanted to post a quick update on my v1.04 Eliminator. I replaced the stock 92mm fan for a Silverstone FM121 120mm fan. I can achieve the same temps as the 92mm with the 120mm set on low (which is a significant noise reduction). I run my Eliminator on high with the 120mm set on high I get idle temps of 29-34c (depending on ambient temps) on an E6700 OCed to 3.3ghz. Load temps are around 40-44c but usually no higher than that. Looks like the 1.04 revisions are running without a hitch.
Last edited by respek on Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

can anyone get any info on the stock 92mm fan that comes with the Eliminator? specifically cfm stats? If its not to crazy I might also try to change it to a 120mm just you gotta be careful if you don't move enough air over the peltier HS then they could over heat and potentially damage your cooler as well as raise your case temps.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

best quote I could find was off a french ebay page they said the "young lin dfb923812H" 92mm fan is rated at:

Cut: 92x38
VOLT: 12V
RPM: 3200
CFM: 63
DB: 38

so any 120 that pushes atleast 63cfm should be adequate to cool the pelts.
respek
Legit User
Legit User

Post by respek »

63CFM for the stock 92mm sounds about right. I actually hooked up the fan after I removed it, and was surprised at how much air it was moving. However it is a bit loud so a 120mm is the way to go if you want to reduce some noise.
damien
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by damien »

Hey there. I just wanted to get some feedback and provide some feedback about this product.

I wound up getting an Eliminator as an early birthday gift from my mother-in-law at the end of April (on the 22nd). I installed it, fired everything up, & could barely hear anything.

I thought everything was great until I went into the BIOS & realized my temps were higher than when using the Zalman 9500 heatsink I pulled off it.

It turned out I had an old rev 1.02 version with the faulty TEC controller. They said they would RMA it no problem. Unfortunately they were out of stock on the new revision, so I waited & waited & waited...

The replacement finally arrived on June 7th, which means I'm totally fubar on a return to the vendor by this point.

I pulled the old one out, set it aside, & cracked open the replacement. It's a rev 1.04 unit with the four pin connector. It still had the same soft aluminum mounting hardware, so I left it aside & used steel hardware that was the same height.

Everything was great for about two days, but then the pump started making a ton of noise. I checked my pump per Sean from CoolIT & it shows a date code of 0507. If their manufacturer uses date code like the place I work, that means my pump was made the 5th week of 2007. So it was about four months old before I even put it into my PC.

I provided all the information to Sean at CoolIT on June 13th, but still haven't heard anything back. So I even took my cell phone & made a recording of the noise I can hear & sent that in...

So far no replies to multiple calls or emails. Has anyone else had this many problems with getting through to them?

Here's that WAV file from my phone in case anyone can figure out what the noise is & if it can be 'user serviced'.

Any hints on a better recording method are also appreciated. The machine it's installed in is used as a file/media server & doesn't have a sound card in it.

http://www.exitcodezero.com/uploads/recording1.wav

Thanks!

Damien
respek
Legit User
Legit User

Post by respek »

The defective Eliminator I sent back used to make that noise too, but it was on and off at times. I was sure it was coming from the pump, but I'm not exactly sure what causes the noise. My v1.04 has been running smoothly for on HIGH for about two mouths now. Worst comes to worst you could just replace the pump.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Normally pumps make funny noises when either they have air trapped in them, or air trapped in them has broken one of the propeller blades.

Maybe if you gave it a few sharp taps while holding it so that one of the pipes going in is directly up (Might be best if it was off at the time). It would dislodge the air (if it is air). If its a broken propeller blade, not much you can do.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Mine makes the same noise as that....
tech_freek
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: CoolIT Eliminator

Post by tech_freek »

im looking to replace the fan on the eliminator.
is there a mininum rpm speed required for it to work effectively?