Damage and Responsibility

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.

What do you do?

Your fault for making the mistake, so you keep the unit and buy a new one.
76%
The units fault for the protection failing, so you RMA for a new one.
24%

Total votes: 17

TheVoid
Legit User
Legit User

Damage and Responsibility

Post by TheVoid »

So I decided to make a poll to see what everyone thinks.

Assume this: Power supply claims to have have a protection of your choice. You make a stupid mistake and the protection doesn't work, ruining the unit.

Your fault for making the mistake, so you keep the unit and buy a new one.

or

The units fault for the protection failing, so you RMA for a new one.

Thanks. :)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Since the question was in relation to http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=9668 and it was most definatly your fault in this case...
TheVoid
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TheVoid »

Alathald wrote:Since the question was in relation to http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=9668 and it was most definatly your fault in this case...
Born of it, but more of a seperate philosophical entity. User error is already stated as a given. In hindsight I should of expanded it a bit farther and stated device instead of power supply and put it in general computing or chat or the like. But no matter.

Interpret it how you will, vote how you will, I'm not going to touch this further. I'm just going to wait on the results. :P

And thanks for casting your vote. :)
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

If protection is suppsed to protect against user error, I think you should get a refund when the protection doesnt work.

Thats like getting into an accident in your car and your airbags didnt work. It doesnt matter if the accident was your fault, but the airbags should have gone off. If you can prove that the airbags were defective, you might have a case.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I had to get a new volt meter over the week end as mine had met with an unfortunate ending with a 5 year old. When I went to pay for it the guy asked me if I wanted an extended warranty for it, I told him if I nuke a volt meter its my fault.

Now with that said, if something croaks and you feel more bad about it than P.O.'d then I would not return it and chalk it up to learning curve.

Just don't be like some folks and mess up a soft mode on a vid card that kills it and RMA the thing for a new one.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Dayum..this reminds me of what just happened to my pc the other day..I was a dumbf**k to plug in my pc to a battery that was already $h*t even though it worked. Then on the day when My car died,my dog went to vet for an emergency,and when the tire blew on my mothers car, I come home to a blank screen and a faint smell and no power going to my pc at all. Used every outlet and no power. I think me blew up my PS.:(:(:(:(:(. would've loved to RMA but I knew it was my own damn fault lol..plus is why i havent been on here lately.rather use mine than the one im on now. oh well. USER ERROR :P

update:..My apologies for the language..going through withdrawals without having a pc(that works & doesnt suck):P
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

voted...

I'm a bit confused though as on your other post you said nothing was runined, but this one says it ruined the unit... Anywho... Voted.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

i voted.

one thing i would like to add... if you buy a warranty for it, you break it out of your own carelessness, i think you should be able to return it and get a replacement. IMO that is the point of a buying a warranty, in case something happens, you are covered.

example, i bought a camera from best buy, bought the extended 2 year warranty. At work i used to drive a forklift. i was taking pictures of something with the forklift. i left the camera on the forklift, i turned sharp and camera fell (more like flew) off and busted the lense. I took it back to bestbuy and got a replacement - using my extended warranty that i purchased separate.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

voted for the first one
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

bigblockmatt wrote:one thing i would like to add... if you buy a warranty for it, you break it out of your own carelessness, i think you should be able to return it and get a replacement. IMO that is the point of a buying a warranty, in case something happens, you are covered.

A warranty (extended or otherwise) is intended to replace an item which fails due to MANUFACTERING or DESIGN defects.
It is not insurance for user caused damage (intentional or accidental)
What best buy is selling IS a protection plan which is (very expensive) replacement insurance against any damage.
As more people use it (and abuse it, deliberately breaking stuff to get a new one/newer model) the cost goes up and the coverage become more restrictive.
Sometimes you need to take responsability for your own actions, even if it is expensive.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

i feel i did take responsibility by purchasing the extended warranty... Ive asked them (best buy) what is included. they told me that if it breaks for any reason, bring it back. so thats what i did.

If i deliberately broke something just to take it back and get a replacement, that would be wrong. but if i am doing something and it breaks, that should be covered under the warranty.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I think what he is saying is user error is not covered ever. If its due to user negligence, you should know better.
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

similar thing happened to me awhile ago i had a dfi mobo burn out because of my ocing. so i kept it and bought an evga mobo.

its unethical to send it back.