Cooling Ramchips with AS5?

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Cooling Ramchips with AS5?

Post by top »

I got some copper bga ramsinks for my ram chips on my 7900GTX. I got some real sticky thermal tape, but I was wondering if it would be even a better idea to add Artic Silver 5 thermal compound in between the ram chip and the ramsinks?

I've applied it but the ramsinks can be more easily removed if you were just to use the thermal tape alone. I was curious if the card would cool better if I did add the AS5 to the ram chips on my video card? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
Dragon_Slayer
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Dragon_Slayer »

for those types of applications you should stick with the thermal tape but Arctic Adhesive works well too only problem is that if you use Arctic Adhesive you will never be able to get the sinks off.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Long time no post Slayer. :)

The best thing you can do is mix artic adhesive with artic silver, i did 1:1 with mine, so hopefully I'll be able to persuade them to come off intact with a little force when I need to.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

The best thing to do is just have a fan blowing some air over the RAM. RAM heatsinks don't do anything really......IMO
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

They look pretty :mrgreen:

Granted they more than likely will do nothing for your overclock (if you are overclocking), but will take down the actual temperature of the chip (which is good).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by top »

Ok, sounds alright.

How did you apply the compounds? Did you apply and spread the AS5 first and then put the adhesive on there? Kind of like this??

Just an example, since ramchips don't have a heatspreader on them
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I mixed it on a bit of plastic and then spread it onto the RAMsinks then put it on the chips. Takes a while to set and hold, and I've no idea if it will actually work when it comes to pulling them off :P but its been done by other people.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by top »

Ah I see now. For some reason I thought the ceramic was an adhesive. I just read the Artic Silver Adhesive instructions. This stuff ain't playing around! You gotta be real careful with this stuff.

I guess what they mean by "mixing" is mixing the thermal adhesive with the thermal compound.

Did you put silicon on the circuits around the ram chips when you applied your ramsinks?
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by top »

.... Wait.. were talking about mixing adhesive with AS5, right? Not using Artic Silver Adhesive..???
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Mix the adhesive, so the epoxy and the hardener parts, then mix in some regular artic silver (or ceramic) to that adhesive mix. :mrgreen:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by top »

Ah ok, sounds good. Thanks!