February 6, 2012 News from Around the Web

News, Reviews, and Tech related stories from our sister sites and news outlets around the net.
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

February 6, 2012 News from Around the Web

Post by Amy »

Xigmatek Midgard II Mid-Tower Chassis Review
"I remember looking at the original Midgard from Xigmatek and I even refreshed my memory by looking at the old review from 2010. As I remember, the original offered something like five ODD bays, five HDD bays with metal trays, seven expansion slots and a pair of orange bladed fans to go along with the tool-less mechanisms used in that chassis. One other thing I remember was that the original did have most of the front and the entire top covered with mesh for easy breathe-ability for both air in through the front. Via convection it allowed hot air to escape right through the top passively or you could add fans to help things along. All in all, for the time of its release, the Midgard had an oddly placed front I/O panel, but other than that it was a nice chassis for its day.

As time progresses, older designs are left in the dust in favor of cases with USB 3.0, room to manage wires behind the motherboard tray and even handy hot-swap SATA hard drive docks built into cases are a huge hit. Well, Xigmatek saw the writing on the wall and took what was a good selling product for them and figured it was time to update the chassis to today's customers' expectations. With a fresh set of eyes, the new release got both an exterior and an interior redo. There are some subtle hints to the original case, but honestly it looks a lot like the mid towers we seen from BitFenix. Either way, the new chassis is a definite improvement over the original concept."
@ TweakTown

Monday Web Reviews:

HARDWARE

ARCTIC MC001-BD Review @ Vortez
Scan 3XS FT03 ROG SLI System Review @ Vortez
Cooler Master GeminII M4 CPU Cooler Review @ Madshrimps
Mushkin Blackline PC3-17000 (994015) 16GB Quad Pack Memory Kit Review @ Hi Tech Legion
Samsung HW-D550 Home Theater System @ DreamWare Computers
Need For Speed: The Run PC Review @ eTeknix.com
Enermax ETS-T40-VD CPU Cooler Review @ eTeknix.com
Part II of our performance review of the MAINGEAR Epic 180 Liquid Cooling system
Part II of our coverage of the Asus P9X79 Deluxe
Cooler Master Choiix Power Fort 5600 @ LanOC Reviews
Synology DS-212 Two-Bay NAS Review @ Tweaknews
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB OC Video Card in CrossFire
Noctua NF-F12 Focused Flow Fan Review @ Ninjalane
Xigmatek Prime SD1484 Review @ OCC
AMD Radeon HD 7950 CrossFire & TriFire Review @ Neoseeker
MSI Z68A-GD65G3 Motherboard @ Rbmods

Accessories

ROCCAT Isku Illuminating Gaming Keyboard Review @ HardwareLOOK
Scott Luminor Sound and Light Wireless System (i-DXS 10 L Luminor) Review
Arctic Living Audio Relay Wireless Media Extender Review @ eTeknix.com
Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 3.0 Thumb Drive Review
Cyborg GLIDE 7 Gaming Surface Review @ eTeknix.com

Editorials

End of the Internet or the beginning of a new-style Internet?
Five Years With Blu-ray - Part Two
David vs Goliath: Can AMD Stand and Fight? @ Hi Tech Legion

Games

Unstoppable Gorg Review - The Aliens Are Coming! @ Techgage