Congratulation to the winner of the Chaintech VNF 4 Ultra...

A place for us to say thank you to our community by offering hardware contests! This is the place to be to check out and sign up for contests that Legit Reviews holds. If you don't like the prizes or how the contests are being run just don't enter and wait till the next contest!
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

lol I was boycotting PCI-E. But your right the fact of going to 64 bit is alot more. But I dont have a mobile AMD. Reg. Sounds like u got screwed. I'll buy it from you. :mrgreen:
No not really im going 64 bit.
-Lates.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

hey capper (or anyone else)...
What chipset HS/F's will work with the NF4 chipsets?? I'm a little worried about the heat problem you specified in your review :shock:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

If you are just running it at rated speed, then the passive cooler on there is fine. If you are going to overclock it i'd recommend the Swiftech chipset cooler
Last edited by LVCapo on Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

w00t! Got the board in the mail today!!!! :)

AAhhhhhh, NF4 and s939 goodness!!!
Just from handling the board, I already noticed that this stock cooler is CRAP! The springs are not nearly tight enough to put enough pressure on the core of the chip to cool it effectively; I can rock the HS back and forth and wiggle it around with the slightest pressure/motion! Its definately gonna get a swiftech on there 8)

Thanks Legit Reviews!!! You guys are the BEST :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

Enjoy it because if u dont. Ima kill you. :mrgreen: lol j/p. See hwo good it OC's man. Fill us in.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

kick ass man! That north bridge HSF should work fine unless you are going for overclocking. If O/C'ing is in the future you'd upgrade it no matter what!

Let us know how it does!
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Will do.
I am gonna be waiting for Venice and $$ so I probably won't have this whole thing up and running 'till end of spring/early-mid summer :(
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

Well at least u have it. :roll:
/spam
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

SlipSand wrote:Well at least u have it. :roll:
/spam
LOL, you're too much Slip!
I can tell you REALLY wanted this board (and still do) and are probably still a little ruffled about the "other things" too..... :oops:
:axe:

Well, I'm definately happy to have won, and if for some reason this new build doesn't work out, you'll be the first person I contact about taking this board off my hands :goodman:
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

Thanks...I (as many other people) am just low on cash. Its a massive problem with me keeping it. Hell I'm behind in 1.5yrs of games. :(
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Well, my latest game title is Dungeon Siege so I feel your pain. I can still only get like 20-30fps on that!
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

:shock: My last one is HL2 and its not even mine its my friends...Damn Steam...We found out a way to get past that... :finga:

Even then I miss BFV and UT2k4... :cry:
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Hey, just thought I would give everyone the latest update on my build plans for that VNF4 Ultra. I just ordered my 3200 Venice and eVGA 6600GT from Monarch Computers this morning along with a Fortron 500w "Blue Storm" PSU (which was only $78!).
Cooling includes an XP-90, Arctic Cooling nV Silencer 6 rev. 2, and that Swiftech chipset cooler to keep 'er runnin cool :)
The best deal was by far the 6600GT which I will have gotten for $138 withy free shipping after a $30 mail in rebate!!! WOO HOO!!! Can't wait to get this thing going. I know I'm gonna be glad I worked those 80 hour weeks at the Greenhouse to pay for this thing!!! lol

One question though, how worried should I be about this board not POSTing without an updated BIOS to support the new Rev. E Venice Core AMD chips?? :(
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

you are going to just have to use an older Clawhammer or Winchester core to flash the BIOS to support the new Venice I guess.....shouldn't be a problem at all, if you don't have the CPU to do it, find a friend or a computer shop to do the flash for you.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

capper5016 wrote:you are going to just have to use an older Clawhammer or Winchester core to flash the BIOS to support the new Venice I guess.....shouldn't be a problem at all, if you don't have the CPU to do it, find a friend or a computer shop to do the flash for you.
Damn, that's what I was afraid of :(

So it won't even POST with the Venice? I was thinking if it would at least POST I could have a floppy all ready to go with the new BIOS and flash it before I even did anything, but I guess it sounds like that isn't gonna happen?
I don't have any other s939 cpu's nor do any of my friends so I guess I'll off to a computer shop to see what they can do for me!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

You might get lucky and it might post. When I got my DFI LanParty Ultra D it had the old Bios and it posted OK with the Venice Core CPU and then I flashed it with the updated Bios.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

try it on your own first, you might get lucky as BIO said
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

Drool...Man I wish I could get that kinda performance leap. Sniff sniff... :cry:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Slip its getting cheaper and cheaper to do so, that Mobo is under 100 and a new 939 is 150. If you buy a 6200 you can unlock the pipelines and get a 6600 out of it for under 100. thats 350 for cpu, video, and mobo.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

Yeah but I'm looking for best OC setup for a 64 bit.

DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR / Venice 3200+ / Some BH5 1GB DDR 433? / PCI-E 6800GT?

Plus my father just bought a 6600 and its not much faster than my 5900U. :|