July 2008 Forum Drawing - ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics Card

A place for us to say thank you to our community by offering hardware contests! This is the place to be to check out and sign up for contests that Legit Reviews holds. If you don't like the prizes or how the contests are being run just don't enter and wait till the next contest!
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: July 2008 Forum Drawing - ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics Card

Post by DaddyRabbit »

zer0nix wrote:tl;dr, so i don't know if someone has suggested this:

dude's name should be 'emerald' (or some exotic variant thereof) and wear something green (for some reason, i keep picturing a knight in green armor, even though that's kind of lame and predictable). here are several reasons why:

green is the color most associated with amd, ati's other half.
both rubies and emeralds are doped aluminum crystals, so they are a natural match. also, aluminum is used for heatsinks by both amd and ati.
i had another reason, but i can't remember it now ](*,)

i sure hope i win!
Problem is that in the GPU arena green is the corporate color of the biggest AMD/ATI competitor (hint starts with "N" and ends with "vidia" and I believe the colors are actually green and black) Hence the numerous references to "red" vs "green" you see on various boards. To be honest I'm not sure if this reference is due to the PCB color (usually Nvidia PCBs are green and ATI's are red) or just a notion. for example I recently bought a HD4870 which is on a red PCB but my MSI 8800GT also has a red PCB with no hint of green anywhere, but in most Nvidia reviews I see green PCBs. I'll let someone with more historical or corporate knowledge speak to this.

On the safe side I felt if Rubys animal sidekick had black fur with green eyes it wouldn't be a good thing [-X

http://www.tweaktown.com/pressrelease/8 ... index.html
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
zer0nix
Legit User
Legit User

Post by zer0nix »

in defense of my suggestion, i've always associated nvidia with more of a 'snot' color (like this :ANAL: ) and dark green for ati. for emerald, i'm imagining more of a saturated, dark green hue; a darker, richer color with the mildest touch of blue :p

the character has solidified some more in my mind: dude should have a fighter pilot's helmet and wear a motorcycle wind suit. why? because those look close enough to what the general public thinks a fighter pilot would wear, while also looking aggressive and cool. dude should wear a small jacket over the wind suit because that also looks cool and girls think it looks hot for some reason. motorcycle wind suits also hug the body, which is again important for the girls... -speaking of which, i imagine emerald's build to be slighter than traditional western male characters; more of a 'leon' from resident evil 4 or 'kamen rider' than 'cole' from gears of war. for some indeciperhable reason, many girls are turned off by huge, masculine bodies and find slight builds attractive :/

i'm giving him light brown, feathered hair, long in the front, a bit longer than the prince's from prince of persia, a slight goatee and... oh my god i must be gay :toimonster: the japanese asthetic of tall, thin, impeccably dressed men has irrevocably sunken into my psyche.

there's a reason why i'm targetting the girls here: based on the ones i've known, 'uneducated' female consumers will choose one brand over another based purely on what is depicted on the outer packaging. i imagine a girl would rather choose a package with another girl or a 'hot' guy on it rather than a snarling beast.

dude carries a laser gun. two laser guns. no, three. seven. ten. fifteen. twenty? thirty-five, but that's the max. <cough> forty. forty-five is what i meant to say. ...don't laugh, i'm a product of the 80s and 90s :p

dude must carry a mean looking knife because mean looking knives are ******* awesome. also, it's more phallic imagery for the girls.

again, in defense of my suggestion for the color and name, this could be amd/ati's chance to sneak the color green away from nvidia. ...and actually, many nvidia products have red pcb :/

EDIT: damn! someone did choose 'emerald' before me. and his version uses big guns, which i must have forgotten to mention mine also favors...

love methious' R.E.A.P.E.R. idea. yes, more guns... more, beautiful, powerful, glorious guns! MORE GUNS!!!
-why yes, of course, i am american :)

i'm also stealing woofd06's force powers and leet concentration.

my guy is a pluri-talented nerd hero much like many of you are also suggesting. dude flies a raptor into the enemy's base and rappels down the side of a mountain -to save the day by hacking into the enemy's mainframe! :p nerd life, FTW!

also loving the idea of a large black panther with red eyes from daddyrabbit (though i think radeon has typically been associated with a hellhound). hot girls and large cats just go hand in hand.

also loving stev's 'dr. sanders' character -though i can't help thinking his name would be much more punny if it were 'kernel sanders' :p

-forgot that the new platform is called 'spider.' we've got to work that in there somehow. ...my character's codename is henceforth 'the emerald spider.' why, that's not cliched at all! <face breaks>
Last edited by zer0nix on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oliverybarra
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by oliverybarra »

The story of Ruby has been fun and exciting. The newest addition to the Crime fighting team for ATI will have to match the character of Ruby. For a long time now, Ati has had two primary colors, red and blue. Now Ruby is red, so her new partner should compliment her with what other fine color than blue. Ruby's accomplice must have a fun personality, but be able to kick any villain’s ass at any given time. Ruby's new partner must have a name that accents her style and flair. I am thinking maybe something like Bobby. Ruby Red, Bobby Blue... It just works. Bobby is the best at building weapons, and tools for the both of them. He is fluent in all of the languages of the world, and is knowledgeable of all of the fighting styles ever created, so there will never be a situation that he cannot help ruby out with. He can help out ruby unlike any other. Just like Ruby always wears the same style of sexy revealing clothing, bobby will do the same. He is a young ripped man from New York, which was part of the NYPD. He was promoted to the highest rankings of the police, after proving himself to everyone that challenged him. He was the best of the best, and it seemed as if nobody could ever beat him. He was sent to a secret meeting in a big guarded building that he had never been in before. He was sat down in a room many floors underground, and waited for a while. A tall man wearing all black walks in, and asks him his name, and a few other personal questions. He answers them, and finally asks the man what this is all about. The man replies, “You have been recruited to the international crime fighting league.” He is confused, and asks the tall man in black, “What is this league all about?” The man goes on and tells Bobby about Ruby. Bobby is a little confused, and the man asks Bobby if he would like to meet Ruby. Bobby immediately replies with a “yes”. He is brought into another room down a dark hallway, and is introduced to Ruby. As he sees her, his jaw drops; he cannot believe what he sees, and goes up to her, and holds out his hand, and Ruby extends hers, and they shake hands. Ruby tells Bobby how excited she is to finally meet him, and how she can’t wait to work with him. He is equally excited, and asks her to sit down to talk. They become great friends, and lifelong crime fighting partners. This ending really sucks, but whatever.
linkinparkks
Legit User
Legit User

Post by linkinparkks »

I think Ruby's sidekick should be a guy...japanese looking and has blue hair.
I think he should be named Cross, as in Crossfire.

As Ruby fights bad guys from close range, Cross snipes bad guys form long range.
Adding bullet time and all........that would be so so cool :P
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Ummm

His name would be Emerald and would wear a green suit with a red ruby device around his neck. He would have more of technical background, ie.. computer hacking, hi tech gadgets and weapons. He would still have the kick ass ability Ruby has but not on the same level as her. He would also be useful on missions that require entry to buildings or rooms that have electronic locks.
Last edited by pwcmed on Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DemonicDerek
Legit User
Legit User

Post by DemonicDerek »

Agent Neo, a very muscular male who is loaded from head to toe with ammunition and a large variety of weapons. His brute strength and ability to carry so much represents the powerhouse of ATI's cards. His strength obviously demonstrating the power of the GPU's and the large capacity of ammunition demonstrates the large amounts of dedicated RAM each ATI card comes with, and the shiny new weapons shows how up to date said RAM is. Neo's special abilities include speedy reloads of his and Ruby's weapons (representing the incredible RAM clocks ATI achieves), and as previously mentioned his brute strength. Neo is helpful when Ruby has to face enemies which can take a lot of bullets or enemies in large #'s (100 or above) and she requires fast, reliable, and speedy reloads as well as a lot of munitions. Neo is very skilled in multitasking, to the point that he can fire a gun in his right hand and reload ruby's empty gun with his left hand. Overall the two as a team are unstoppable and can overcome any enemy in their path!
rpsgc
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rpsgc »

Hmm.... Ruby's sidekick eh?

Ruby's sidekick would be a guy named Malachite dressed in a greenish suit (nvidia isn't the only one green here ya know? ;)) of hi-tech armor and equipped with various devices, none of them weapons, which would serve to warn them of impending danger and/or protect them either by personal shields, cloaking devices, etc, as his primary mission would be to protect Ruby. He would also be the calm, zen-type providing Ruby with tidbits of wisdom and all sort of advices.
Kalko
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Kalko »

Her partner can be Angel, his a super Stealth pilot how always watches out for Ruby and gives her backup and rescues her in some situations. His looking something like Charlie Sheen in Hot Shots!, and off the plane his knows Fung Fu....and another 30 dangerous words.
econcepts
Legit User
Legit User

Post by econcepts »

Ruby's partner is a shapeshifter named Jem (possibly constructed of nanites). Jem's natural state is a little shiny teddy bear. Jem is rarely seen in this form during a mission but rather Jem is often found stuck to Ruby's chest pretending to be a Gem or the ATI logo for stealth. Jem can change into many shapes and become both companion and tool, such as armor or blade or small vechicle (motorcycle?). Jem can even spread thin and wrap around ruby tightly to simulate different kinds of clothing. Jem can interface with most types of technology and talk directly to computers. Ruby communicates with Jem via her wrist computer which translates his high frequency sounds into printed text. Jem occasionally makes squeeks, clicks and purrs that can be heard with human ears.
That was almost but not quite entirely unlike me.
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

zer0nix wrote:tl;dr, so i don't know if someone has suggested this:

dude's name should be 'emerald' (or some exotic variant thereof) and wear something green (for some reason, i keep picturing a knight in green armor, even though that's kind of lame and predictable). here are several reasons why:

-green is the color most associated with amd, ati's other half.
-both rubies and emeralds are doped aluminum crystals, so they are a natural match. also, aluminum is used for heatsinks by both amd and ati.
-i had another reason, but i can't remember it now ](*,)

i sure hope i win!

EDIT: after watching the videos, i now have a *slightly* better idea for 'emerald:' dude should be a fighter pilot tricked out in tacticool flight gear. he should fly an aqua colored, super sonic jet remiscent of an f16 or raptor (or the japanese-american f-2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Jasdf_f2.jpg ); something that looks nimble, aggressive and fast. why aqua? because i think it looks cool and this is all in the realm of fantasy :p

the character fits in with the standard fps crowd and with flight sims, both of which are genres that can be quite demanding of pcs. there can be some brand association here if the character looks iconic enough.

-the flight helmet would also mask the fact that the character's hair isn't going to be animated :p

for the sake of avoiding controversy, dude should NOT be a pirate, no matter how tempting it would be to pit him against a ninja (ps: ninja always wins -but usually gets his balls burned off by the pirate's fire breath. also may have a peg leg stuck in his ass and a hook stuck in his skull. and a cannonball in his ribs. ...such are the perils of being a master of the dark arts).

PS: i loved answering this question! i hope future contests are in the same vein as this one :p

Sounds kinda like my idea for Jade. Amd ties to it. :)
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
butterfly_bh
Legit User
Legit User

Post by butterfly_bh »

I think that her partner should be a guy named Mahmary that is tall with black hair and brown eyes dressed in white karate suit.. His special skill is to fire a big blue circle of fire to his enemies. And can fight really good.. He is helpful with any kind of mission or task that requires physical skill.. :)
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

Every assassin needs...a ninja!!

Either male or female, but male would be my choice. His name would be Galford and he would have a dog name Pappy (or watever name)..dunno, i like samurai shodown..anyways, he main skill would be to infiltrate, spy, and gather info to aid Ruby on her missions, He would appear whenever she calls for him. That is the way of the ninja!!!
500w Fortron Blue Storm - DFI NF4-D (SLI & SATAII modded) - Opteron 165 @ 290x9 1.35v - 1 GB OCZ Value VX 3200 2-3-3-8 @ 230mhz - 2x 80gb Seagate SATA on Raid 0 - eVGA 8800GTS
wollyka
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by wollyka »

Who's better than Diamond to give Ruby a hand?
Diamond is Ruby's Little sister, and Ruby isn't exactly thrilled to put her in the way of danger... As you expected, Diamond is like a copy of Ruby but with while hair :)
Diamond is an expert security hacker and very skillful with dual Uzis :snakeman:
Diamond will usually offer support for Ruby and also diversion.
System:
-Intel Core 2Quad Q6600--ECS PN2 SLI2+ 680i-4GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 SLI-ready Edition-XFX Geforce GTX280--X-fi Fat1ality FPS-Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W PSU-LG Flatron L1710B
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

I'm in.

EDIT:

Alright, I would call Ruby's sidekick, Diamond. She would be blonde. Her mission would be there to give off a lesbian/bi-sexual vibe to the advertising. Come on, let's face it, I can't tell you who or what the marketing gimmick was for previous cards, I can't tell you about the chick for the Gefore 3 or ATI's 9800.

The whole purpose of the chicks are to give a sense of sensuality and sexuality to a very asexual product.

So my vision would be a blonde chick called Diamond who would give off a sense of lesbian/bi-sexuality with her sidekick Ruby, just like Robin gives off a sense of homosexuality as the sidekick of Batman.

Call me cynical and it'll probably make me lose the contest, but there you have it.
Last edited by Tim Burton on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

Tim Burton wrote:I'm in.
I think you missed something there Tim.
johndoe
Legit User
Legit User

Post by johndoe »

The perfect partner for Ruby, IMHO, would be an individual known only as Agent 47. He is from the same realm as her so pairing them up together to assist Ruby with "all her workload" shouldn't be much of a problem. :)

His skills, capabilities and areas of expertise are not really much of a great secret :P
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

Since Ruby is so hot and sexy, I would say that her assistant should be a male (let woman be in charge for once). His name should be Dylan (meaning son of the sea). He should be wearing sea-blue color cloth that matches his name. Standing at 6’2’’ with brunette hair, and a chiseled body yet not too muscular.

Dylan is a computer genius. He can crack any codes within 10 seconds. He is swift, moves like a fox. He is really flexible and is skilled with acrobatic maneuver. Trained martial arts since he was little and has the ability to speak 5 languages: English, Spanish, Chinese, German and Russian. Dylan uses a two long sword that looks like samurai swords and is equipped with a whip like Indiana Jones. Don’t be fooled by his ancient weapon, his is so skilled with them that he has the ability to block bullets with his sword skill and even cuts a bullet in half in mid-air. Dylan is a master of disguise and is able to make any household item into a deadliest weapon and assemgble a bump in a minute with a simple object.

Given to all Dylan’s special skill, he is equipped to help Ruby with all of the mission where high tech skill is required. He is able to assist Ruby to by pass all the securities, help her with her deadliest mission so they can stop the evil-doer. Their first mission would be entering highly securied ex-Russian military base and retrive the crystal that is able to make the deadlist weapon of the world. :supz:
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

Agent Pyrope

Pyrope is a rose red garnet gemstone. These red hues of garnet have been known as the warrior's stone as it was historically placed on swords and shields carried into battle for protection against death and injury. This red garnet was even used offensively as a weapon, most notably as ammo to shoot against enemies from the belief that red garnet is more lethal than traditional bullets. As such, it made for a fitting codename for Agent Pyrope.

Agent Pyrope has a long standing record with ATI Technologies so little is known about her background as much of it remains classified for security reasons; however rumor is that Agent Pyrope is one of ATI’s best and only one able to keep up with Agent Ruby on her ops, making her the best choice to be Ruby’s partner.

Following the request Agent Pyrope has been called in to be Ruby’s support specialist. Highly technical, she can provide additional protection and assist Ruby wherever needed, including monitoring Ruby’s incursions and providing everything from tech support to fire support on her missions. This means everything from logistics to procuring equipment to extracting Agent Ruby after an op, including getting her hands dirty if Ruby ever calls in for backup. It is rumored that the spectacle of both Agents working in tandem side-by-side is a fearful sight to behold, but in such events no one has remained alive afterwards to tell! :snakeman:
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
Kalko
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Kalko »

slugbug wrote:
Probably he's too used with I'm in and thats all.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Kalko wrote:
slugbug wrote:
Probably he's too used with I'm in and thats all.
I edited it.

Best idea yet, I should win... :mrgreen: