Dec 2009 Contest - Design Your Own HIS 5870 Video Card Art!

A place for us to say thank you to our community by offering hardware contests! This is the place to be to check out and sign up for contests that Legit Reviews holds. If you don't like the prizes or how the contests are being run just don't enter and wait till the next contest!
flishfun
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Dec 2009 Contest - Design Your Own HIS 5870 Video Card Art!

Post by flishfun »

thanks for the info DMB2000uk.. i'll gonna flip my entry too...
ColourDood
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by ColourDood »

trucz wrote:lol i was so lucky i didn't use a rendered background though i had to flip the text and some graphics as well as reposition some stuff. good luck with the editing.
I didn't use a rendered background either. That's what made my changes so tricky. Everything is on it's own layers (the lightning, the glows, keylines, etc). No big deal though. You have to be prepared for that. It happens quite often where you think you're finished and then someone requests changes. You have to be able to accommodate that.
Baggs
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Baggs »

DMB2000uk wrote:
stefandent wrote:Excuse me,admin.Why are people fliping the originaly posted shape of die cut?I don't know what is right now?
Hi stefandent,

With the original template HIS sent us, it was mistakenly the wrong way round. This meant that that if your design had text, when the design was applied to the graphics card and installed into a case, the text would be upside-down.

You can choose to flip your design now, or wait to see if you've won and flip the design then.

It won't affect judging if you've used the upside down template or not.

Dan
Are you 100% sure?

Because its gonna take me quite a while to "redesign" mine.

Ugh, i just hope its gonna be worth it.

/off topic

I bought a new Thermaltake Armor case, the one with the liquid cooling system integrated in it. I read a few people talking about it here and saying positive stuff. Gonna let everyone how it all turned out in a couple of days - i should be receiving it tomorrow.
Manduh
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Manduh »

Like admin said you don't have to flip/ "redesign" anything right now, you can choose to wait until you know whether you won or not. If it is going to be a lot of work you might as well wait. :-k

Baggs wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:
stefandent wrote:Excuse me,admin.Why are people fliping the originaly posted shape of die cut?I don't know what is right now?
Hi stefandent,

With the original template HIS sent us, it was mistakenly the wrong way round. This meant that that if your design had text, when the design was applied to the graphics card and installed into a case, the text would be upside-down.

You can choose to flip your design now, or wait to see if you've won and flip the design then.

Dan
Are you 100% sure?

/off topic

I bought a new Thermaltake Armor case, the one with the liquid cooling system integrated in it. I read a few people talking about it here and saying positive stuff. Gonna let everyone how it all turned out in a couple of days - i should be receiving it tomorrow.
PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K / Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation / Gigabyte Z68 / 16GB DDR3 1333 / AMD Radeon HD 5450 / 600 Watt PSU / SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) / Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache / Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache / Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache / OS: Windows 7 Professional x64
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Baggs wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:
Hi stefandent,

Dan
Are you 100% sure?

/off topic

No it wont ;)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Baggs
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Baggs »

DMB2000uk wrote: No it wont ;)

Dan
:ohsnap:

I guess it won't indeed.

Thanks Dan.
IndulgeDesigns
Legit User
Legit User

Post by IndulgeDesigns »

@ shamrok3: for your information royalty free doesn't mean stealing. The image was modified so it makes it my own design. The only thing you cannot do with royalty free images is print commercially, and in this case its prefectly fine.
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

Duhh, I'm not an idiot. I understand what your saying and I know it's not stealing. I would just feel so much more satisfied if I won because it was all my own work...
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
bombeiro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bombeiro »

bombeiro wrote:Here is my design. "Slay The Dragon!" Thanks for a great contest. This was a lot of fun! I have learned a lot about Photoshop.
Flipped and did a little modification. Still learning Photoshop a bit.
expertoc
Legit User
Legit User

Post by expertoc »

found interesting quote from wikipedia

"Royalty-free does not mean a user is free to take and use whatever content they find available to them. It only refers to a specific licensing contract between two entities. The licensor, usually the content creator, always retains all copyright to the content, including the ability to distribute it, or allow redistribution. Each licensing contract is different. Some may allow reselling of items that include that content, such as a t-shirt or calendar with an image, and others do not. The terms of the license should be researched, to be assured if the license includes the rights desired by the license."

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalty-free
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Similar to how some freeware or open source licenses don't allow for commercial use.
expertoc
Legit User
Legit User

Post by expertoc »

wait, we can use logos / copy righted images from the sponsors (such as the amd dragon) right?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

expertoc wrote:wait, we can use logos / copy righted images from the sponsors (such as the amd dragon) right?
images from the sponsors - yes
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bombeiro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bombeiro »

Apoptosis wrote:
expertoc wrote:wait, we can use logos / copy righted images from the sponsors (such as the amd dragon) right?
images from the sponsors - yes
8-[ OK good! I used my own photos and incorporated one of the AMD dragons. I thought all of this was explained in the first few posts. About what we could and could not use.

Well there are some great designs, good job to everyone that has entered so far.
artupato
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by artupato »

where to post the final entry again? here in the thread?
:D
Intel Core i5 750
Gigabyte P55 UD3P
2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws
HIS IceQ 4+ turbo HD 4870 1GB
WD 500GB
OCZ 600W psu
Thermaltake V3 Black edition (installed 5 Akasa blue led light fan + 1 blue led stock fan) with sunbeam uv light
LG W2043T
Altec Lansing V2621
bombeiro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bombeiro »

artupato wrote:where to post the final entry again? here in the thread?
:D
Yes, here in this forum.
mx6er2587
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by mx6er2587 »

shamrok3 wrote:I sorta just assumed it was all supposed to be original artwork... Will flip my image today. What are the chances that one person got the template right...
I though so too. The contest rules say

"9) By submitting your artwork you give express consent to AMD, HIS and Legit Reviews to use your artwork"
"10) Use of Copyrighted images strictly prohibited."

Here's a good definition of royalty free images
Definition: Clip art, images, graphics, photographs, art, music and other created content which may be offered to the public or individuals (normally for a specified amount of money) to be used in specified ways (terms of usage). The creator retains all copyrights and publishing rights. You may use and publish the clip art, images, music per the specified terms of usage but may not sell or distributed to a 3rd party.

Royalty free packages, collections, images or photos are not public domain. The creator retains copyright and all terms of usage must be followed when using these royalty free packages, collections, images, photos, music, etc.
Royalty free images may come with a license that allows for their use but they are not copyright free (those would be public domain images) Also rule 9 says we are giving AMD/HIS/legit reviews the rights to our designs. This would be distributing to a third party and is a real grey area even with "altered" images. Really though I felt the rules were there as much to make this about original artwork as much as about avoiding legal issues.

anyway copyright bs aside (thats to the judges to sort out) here's my flipped entry!

Last edited by mx6er2587 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

shamrok3 wrote:I sorta just assumed it was all supposed to be original artwork... Will flip my image today. What are the chances that one person got the template right...
There are a couple that had theirs right way round, thats what got the whole "yours is backwards" "no yours is" debate.

As for original art, I had originally had a pin-up style artwork, but with the comment early on about cards showing up in plain brown wrappers and the fact I figured I wouldn't get an ok to use the girls likeness I went a different route.

I'm still working on mine, hope to have it done this weekend, nothing like waiting to the last minute :lol:

note: link in this post is NOT my submission for the contest, just showing what I was thinking of doing.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Baggs
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Baggs »

bubba wrote:
There are a couple that had theirs right way round, thats what got the whole "yours is backwards" "no yours is" debate.

As for original art, I had originally had a pin-up style artwork, but with the comment early on about cards showing up in plain brown wrappers and the fact I figured I wouldn't get an ok to use the girls likeness I went a different route.

I'm still working on mine, hope to have it done this weekend, nothing like waiting to the last minute :lol:

note: link in this post is NOT my submission for the contest, just showing what I was thinking of doing.
That looks at least promising, you better not let us down !

Also i'd like everyone to know that i edited my original post which contains my entry and added a link to the inverted version of it which was posted a few posts up by Dan.
feric12
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by feric12 »

if i finish my design art where i can send it?? please reply me