Dec 2009 Contest - Design Your Own HIS 5870 Video Card Art!

A place for us to say thank you to our community by offering hardware contests! This is the place to be to check out and sign up for contests that Legit Reviews holds. If you don't like the prizes or how the contests are being run just don't enter and wait till the next contest!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Dec 2009 Contest - Design Your Own HIS 5870 Video Card Art!

Post by bubba »

ColourDood wrote:@ Bubba - Nice job. Kinda sorry to see you didn't go with the pin-up idea though.
Thanks, but yeah, the more I thought about it figured it was better I go this route.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
hocker014
Legit User
Legit User

Post by hocker014 »

her is my design
desktop
Legit User
Legit User

Post by desktop »

Ok, this is my final piece. If I keep at it I'll end up tweaking the thing to death, lol.

You can view the larger version here.

I thought I would also show you guys where the idea for this design came. A while back I created a Photoshop tutorial for my old web site called Making the Mouse.

For the tutorial I created this little guy who I called CyberMouse. When I was thinking about this design I thought it would be cool to do something with the center hole. I came up with the idea for gears spinning and shooting off sparks and that led to me tweaking 'ol CyberMouse into the layout. I gave him more of a video game look with spikes and rougher textures (plus I made his eyes green to set them off from the blue background). Lighting bolts completed the task.
Last edited by desktop on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

desktop wrote:This is my first time trying to design one of these things. Just a rough draft of an idea, because I wasn't sure what the image requirements were. I saved this as a JPEG and resized to 750px in width. If anyone knows the design specs let me know.
*snip*
The size of the template that was provided by HIS is all you need, but in terms of putting your entry on the forums, the resized one you've submitted is fine.

Just hang onto the full size original in case you win as we'd need that to send that off to HIS for print.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
jani201
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by jani201 »

2 questions:
1. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1191/3/ If you look at forest_winds design and IndulgeDesigns's pics they have the same woman that is only bit different from other. Is that allowed?
2. May i use pictures from internet or should i use only my selfmade pictures in the graphical design of the cover in this competition? I ask this because i'd use 1-2 pictures of my favourite bands on my design as i cannot draw so well.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

1. Yup that was brought up in this thread, got a little stir going as to what is and isn't copyrighted images...
2. Per the fist post use of copyrighted images is a no no, to re-enforce this see the following...
Apoptosis wrote:Took the majority of the entries (~30 of them) and placed them into an article to promote this event that can be seen here - http://legitreviews.com/article/1191/1/

I figured this would be an easier way to look at all of them in one pace for fun. As for copyright issues, those entries will be disqualified if they are found to be using protected artwork and are chosen as winners. As for the direction of the artwork... You can design your sticker any way you like, but keep in mind how it plugs into the motherboard in your system if you want to be able to read the card while it is plugged in.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
jani201
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by jani201 »

then im doomed to not to get one of these or even 5770 or dirt 2 as close to the worst designer... so i migh not post own design because i saw some of others and they are way better than i can ever draw...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

jani201 wrote:then im doomed to not to get one of these or even 5770 or dirt 2 as close to the worst designer... so i migh not post own design because i saw some of others and they are way better than i can ever draw...
Big companies like HIS and AMD have to really worry about legal issues, so any images you use must be yours or you must have written consent to use them. It's just the day and age we live in.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by crowTrobot »

Wow what a great contest. I just heard of it a few hour ago. Whew, lucky me there's still a week to go before deadline!
I'll be bringing my notepad to a formal dinner I'm going to tonight just so I can work on this. lol.

Some great entries so far guys. Good luck to everyone!

BTW
What time/timezone is the deadline on Jan 22?

Thanks.
jani201
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by jani201 »

Apoptosis wrote:
jani201 wrote:then im doomed to not to get one of these or even 5770 or dirt 2 as close to the worst designer... so i migh not post own design because i saw some of others and they are way better than i can ever draw...
Big companies like HIS and AMD have to really worry about legal issues, so any images you use must be yours or you must have written consent to use them. It's just the day and age we live in.
And what about the first question about same looking entries? I don't think its either allowed.
peti1212
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by peti1212 »

Ok, I'm confused. Which way is the card suppose to be. I can tell how the die cut is designed however does it matter which way the graphic is printed? Or can we just post the graphic from both sides as one entry?
Apoptosis wrote:
That's why I am creating everyting myself in a 3D applications and Photoshop. :)
Blackhowling
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Blackhowling »

Im not too good at art or photoshop so I drew this by hand and final touched the black and white in software, but yea here's my entry, sideways for the entry and standing straight up for those that hurt their necks looking sideways:

Bobby Yip says,"When in doubt, google it!!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

crowTrobot wrote: BTW
What time/timezone is the deadline on Jan 22?

Thanks.
CST
Follow Me on Twitter!
minhaz4u
Legit User
Legit User

Post by minhaz4u »

Here is my design :) edited in Corel PhotoImpact X3

Full Resolution Image : http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2833/diecutfinal.jpg

nascasho
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by nascasho »

New to the forum and saw this thread. Saw some great art work by you guys, so I decided to join in too!

Small:

Full res:
(Click to see full size)
http://nascasho.com/Photos/Others/Nas_HISEntry.jpg
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

great I got all of today's most recent entries added to the main article post for this thread as well: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1191/9/

Looks like we have 40 entries thus far with less than a week to go! These entries are awesome looking! It's going to be tough to pick the winners!
Follow Me on Twitter!
desktop
Legit User
Legit User

Post by desktop »

Apoptosis, that's great. Thank you. I made a couple more changes to my entry. I uploaded it to my server so this way the design will just update in my original post.
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

I can't what to see the winner, there are a lot of good ones.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
LH4
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by LH4 »

Hi, here's my entry
full : http://i48.tinypic.com/1zexrl.jpg
Last edited by LH4 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
peti1212
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by peti1212 »

Alright, Photoshop to me is like taking a relaxing break off from work, so I found this quite fun. Plus to spice it up a bit, I created all the graphics in Cinema4D and Photoshop so nothing copyrighted is used. Alright, here is my entry:

I had some fun with this so I decided to just make the video card how I would imagine it. I bet it's going to look a bit different but something similar to the one I created.

The large version of this design can be found here: http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/ ... all-10.jpg

(Unfortunately Photobucket compresses the images so I have a PSD ready if requested!)
Last edited by peti1212 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.