I need a short depth optical drive... Any suggestions?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

I need a short depth optical drive... Any suggestions?

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm building a Mini-ITX system and need a small SATA optical drive for the case.

I've started to look for a short depth optical drive and am having issues as sites like Newegg don't list measurements for their drives.

So far the drive with the shallowest depth that I can find is the ASUS DRW-22D1S and it measures in at 146x165x41 mm (W x D x H). This means it is 6.5-inches deep.

Does anyone know any other drives that are 6.5" deep or less? It appears that most are 170mm or 6.7" deep.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I need a short depth optical drive... Any suggestions?

Post by Apoptosis »

OR....

I could use a notebook optical drive.

I can get the SAMSUNG 8X Slim Internal DVD Burner Model SN-208BB for $19.99.

It is just 128mm (W) X 12.7mm(H) X 127mm (D) without the bezel. This means I would go from 165mm deep to 127mm deep. That takes it from 6.5" to just 5", which is nice. I'd then need an adapter like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817998058 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817994088

Or I could do a nice one like this for a slot-load slim-odd... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817997041

Oh the choices!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Go with the lappy drive, in a 5.25 adapter like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817998058 and then slap a 3.5 bay reader in it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

bubba wrote:Go with the lappy drive, in a 5.25 adapter like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817998058 and then slap a 3.5 bay reader in it.
I like that idea the best and forgot about my 3.5" bay reader.

I ordered the SAMSUNG 8X Slim Internal DVD Burner, OEM Package Without Software Black SATA Model SN-208BB for $19.99 and the StarTech SLIMCDFDCAGE Slim Optical & 3.5in Hard Drive Mounting Bracket for 5.25in Front Bay for $26.99... Sad that the adapter costs more than a DVD burner.
Follow Me on Twitter!
timg11
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by timg11 »

Replying to this really old thread, which seems to be the last time this topic was discussed.

I have the same issue because of interference with the CPU cooler behind the DVD/BD bay in a new HTPC build.
The suggested drives in this thread from 2012 are long obsolete.
Has anyone solved this issue recently? I find all the drives out there are 6.5 to 6.8" deep. I need 6.0", maybe up to 6.25 depth, with some right angle SATA cables I have found.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

timg11 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:53 pm Replying to this really old thread, which seems to be the last time this topic was discussed.

I have the same issue because of interference with the CPU cooler behind the DVD/BD bay in a new HTPC build.
The suggested drives in this thread from 2012 are long obsolete.
Has anyone solved this issue recently? I find all the drives out there are 6.5 to 6.8" deep. I need 6.0", maybe up to 6.25 depth, with some right angle SATA cables I have found.
DVD or BD drive?
With that question Optical drives are slowly disappearing along with cases that offer an external 5.25 bay!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Honestly I have not been looking but most people have been going with externals just to keep their cases smaller....at least from the VERY few I have built recently. I will take a gander around today when I have some time to see if I can find anything. Might be best to go with the laptop bluray and use an adapter like in the original post....

It's really sad since digital quality is worse than the physical media but people do not seem to care #-o
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
timg11
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by timg11 »

My current drive is a BD Drive.
I've found an adapter that can hold the ultra-slim drive, The appropriate BD drives in that form factor are rather expensive.
It would be cheaper to buy an external drive, and it might be more versatile.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

You are right. I have been looking on and off but nothing has really impressed me with pricing other than some externals.

Is what truly sux is the inability to play 4k uhd discs unless you have specific hardware and it seems Intel is removing SGX from future processors (Just what I have read while looking about the drive stuff - maybe Apoptosis would have more info) so 4k going forward will not even be possible with newer pc's :(

They really keep pushing this all digital low quality video crap on people.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
specification
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by specification »

timg11 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:49 am My current drive is a BD Drive.
I've found an adapter that can hold the ultra-slim drive, The appropriate BD drives in that form factor are rather expensive.
It would be cheaper to buy an external drive, and it might be more versatile. Tampa Tile Floors
I would agree with this :supz: Anyway, do you have a suggestion on where to buy an affordable external drive? Thanks:)
timg11
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by timg11 »

I gave up on this and have mounted my original BD drive sticking out the front panel a couple of cm...
Not ideal, but works.