SSD cooling...

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

SSD cooling...

Post by camaroguy1998 »

I've been wondering how long before this was a thing!
https://www.pcworld.com/article/626798/ ... vj3VQEynw0

This raises the question of Water Cooling!
Any bets on how long?
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Re: SSD cooling...

Post by KnightRid »

Like they don't cost enough already without adding on expensive extras! Sheesh. I can see water cooling happening for the ones who still build systems. It would be cool to have a clear heatsink/block on the nvme and see the water going through it. I bought a cheaper one a while back when it was on sale - https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gold-PC ... B5LWY?th=1 - I would need a higher end one for my PS5 but this does....ok....it is faster but on normal activities you don't really notice. Transferring from the nvme to a HD/NAS or vice versa still bottlenecks the standard HD/NAS so the speed never really shines.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Guess we'll have to wait a little longer on pricing!

https://www.pcgamer.com/thermalrights-n ... AQZETMSfRE

KnightRid wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:11 am Like they don't cost enough already without adding on expensive extras! Sheesh. I can see water cooling happening for the ones who still build systems. It would be cool to have a clear heatsink/block on the nvme and see the water going through it. I bought a cheaper one a while back when it was on sale - https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gold-PC ... B5LWY?th=1 - I would need a higher end one for my PS5 but this does....ok....it is faster but on normal activities you don't really notice. Transferring from the nvme to a HD/NAS or vice versa still bottlenecks the standard HD/NAS so the speed never really shines.
Hows that SK Hynix working out?
I'm thinking about adding a 2nd drive just for storage!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

It is middle of the road I would say
CrystalDiskMark_20210626102825.png
CrystalDiskMark_20210626102825.png (37.36 KiB) Viewed 31208 times
I only have 1 nvme (money tree is just too damn stingy) so like i said, the bottle necks come from the regular hard drives. For storage i would probably stay with a regular hard drive mainly due to cost. 4tb nvme can be $800+ while a 4tb hd is under $100. If you need the transfer speed of nvme --> nvme then I get it but if it is solely for storage of things like picture, movies, etc and not to run things from then I would go regular hd and save some cash to buy more cigars :mrgreen: .
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

Does the ever increasing speed of nvme really make that much of a difference for storage and gaming? i understand that you would need 2 nvme for file copying/moving with the same read/write speeds otherwise your slower nvme will bottleneck your faster nvme. The heat is only an issue if your moving many large files or video editing. Even then, a slightly larger heatsink is fine and nothing like in the article would really be needed i think.

i'm still rocking a 2tb wd m.2 sata ssd. While the speed is capped at 550mbps read and write due to the max limit of sata 3, it is plenty fast enough for gaming and of course doesn't get hot at that speed (35c under stress otherwise under 30 at 21c ambient and a small m.2 heatsink).

I also have a wd sn750 512gb nvme 3400mbps read and 2600mbps write and without a heatsink i get 58c under long speed tests using crystal disk mark. Only 50c with a small heatsink. The funny thing is while it might be 20c warmer, i don't notice any performance gains while gaming. I only ended up with the 2tb m.2 sata ssd due to the nvme being £40 more expensive for little to no noticeable performance while gaming.
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Honestly DJ the only thing I notice with a nvme is the faster load times, especially if you have to load individual levels. Other than that, I think most games are already optimized for standard hard drives and it will be a while till we see something like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart that would take advantage of the nvme for jumping in and out of worlds with no delay.