Vista 64 Raptor RAID 0, move drives won't boot!

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Ham1nator
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Vista 64 Raptor RAID 0, move drives won't boot!

Post by Ham1nator »

Ok, I am stumped, we installed two fresh 150G Raptors, followed instructions for install of RAID 0 with VISTA 64 used the hardware drivers that came with the ASUS Striker Extreme board at the correct time and viola we had a nice raid array that booted and ran the programs we installed. Then partner got the bright idea that the raptors needed to be on the lower level of the hard disk bay so as to be able to see the 'pretty' windows. So out came the two other WD Caviar 500G drives that were also working fine, pulled the Raptors out, made sure to move the SATA cables with the drives - except was not certain with drive was on which SATA cable on the Raptor pair - got all excited looking in the windows - JEEZ! So installed to try and see if would boot and guess what? Got a disk boot error. No problem, pull the SATA cables off and reverse the order - still the same problem. Now with the Vista disk in an optical drive, the system will boot off the Raptors, but it will not boot off the Raptors unlsess that Vista disk is in a drive. So, went back and tried a clean install of Vista 64 and still the same problem. Did not format the drives but did install the Asus drivers again, etc. What gives and why would physically moving the two drives, unplugging them and plugging them back up somehow mess up the boot record? Any assistance appreciated.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vista 64 Raptor RAID 0, move drives won't boot!

Post by DMB2000uk »

You should hit what ever it is jsut after post that allows you to go into the RAID config (Ctrl + I for Intel RAID). Check that the array is reporting that it is in good order then report back here :P.

I have numbered the drives and cables so I don't mess up like that, its quite a good idea, so if you get it sorted, then try that.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Ham1nator
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Ham1nator »

Called WD not much help, called Asus ditto. Called Microsoft and in about 45 minutes to an hour had the drives back up and running with OS in Raid 0 config. Turns out had to pull the two WD Caviars out, have only the Raptors in Raid 0 and Install Vista 64 again. Took care of it! And yes, we are marking the cables now so same mistake does not happen again! :-)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Glad you were able to get it sorted, seems a strange fix though..

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)