RAID 1 Harddrives

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

RAID 1 Harddrives

Post by R3N3G4D3 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:01 pm

I have a 500GB Seagate harddrive with 32MB buffer, at first I was considering buying another one of those to use in RAID1. However, recently lots of reviews have been popping up suggesting that this particular drive seems to have a high mortality rate. So far I've been lucky enough that mine works, but I am seriously considering getting a different hard drive model (and possibly manufacturer) of the same size. The funny thing is that even the 16MB version of the same HDD by Seagate seems to be receiving a lot more positive reviews than this one, which is surprising to me since I would assume they use identical mechanical components. The problem is all the other manufacturers I've seen only make 16MB versions, so I was wondering if by placing 2 hard drives in RAID with different buffer sizes I would be limiting both buffers to the size of the lower buffer? If it does indeed only use the lower buffers for both drives, I would feel ripped off since that would essentially slow down my current harddrive slightly, potentially negating the performance gain I get from RAID 1 setup (reading both drives at the same time).

DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RAID 1 Harddrives

Post by DMB2000uk » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:40 am

I don't know for definite, but it would be the most likely option that it will only allow for the 16mb of cache as both drives don't have 32mb.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)