Broken SATA connector, now what?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
little_tea_pot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Broken SATA connector, now what?

Post by little_tea_pot »

Well unfortunatly I broke the SATA connector on one of my raptors while installing a new motherboard (ASUS G45) and while rerouting the cable in the case I put a little bit too much tension and the connector broke. I managed to put the piece from the drive into the cable end and thread the contacts between the broken piece and the cable. Somehow the drive seems to work perfectly (one of two members in RAID 0 none the less). While everything seems to be working fine I'm kind of weary about the connection. HD tach still reads 240 burst and 129.3 average, which is about the same as before on the ICH9R. While not a secure as before, I don't think its going to come loose on its own.
I do make frequent backups of the RAID and save most of my data and files on a secondary drive so I'm not out too much if it fails, BUT

The question is, can the drive be repaired or is it hosed? Should I even be worried?
Has this ever happened to any of you guys? What did you do?
TooT! TooT!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Broken SATA connector, now what?

Post by bubba »

I think you're lucky its working, back up your stuff and get a new drive.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Broken SATA connector, now what?

Post by Apoptosis »

backit up and buy another drive if you are worried about it... You are lucky it didn't snap clean off!