SSD's For Web Servers

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

SSD's For Web Servers

Post by Apoptosis »

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on SSD's and web servers... Not seen too much on them when it comes to server performance... With prices on SSDs dropping I wonder if it would be worth doing a 4-way RAID 5 versus doing some 10,000 RPM SATA drives...

The low access times would be great... the only problem with the cheaper priced SSD's is the issue with random write performance, but I wonder how many random writes are done for a web server.
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: SSD's For Web Servers

Post by eva2000 »

really for web server/databases you'd only want to use SLC rather than MLC - well that's how the theory goes :)

I wonder what SUN are doing with tweaking their SSD offerings for mysql ??

why comapred to 10k SATA and not 15k SAS/SCSI ? :D
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

building another server to add to the ones we run and was wondering if SSD's would be an option for the site.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Apoptosis wrote:building another server to add to the ones we run and was wondering if SSD's would be an option for the site.
Nate I work in a Data Center, and we get paid if we achieve a certain uptime on the servers. You do not want any commerical SSDs in your boxes they'd fail in a couple months, even if they were SLC. And non-commerical would be way way too expensive
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

If you are really die hard about doing it, i would say the DB server, if there is a SQL standalone server with a front end web server. The web server needs more proc and memory horsepower, where as the DB needs more from the drives. /2cents :mrgreen:
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

Apoptosis wrote:building another server to add to the ones we run and was wondering if SSD's would be an option for the site.
in that case sas/scsi is the way to go if you value peace of mind :)