SSD Raid on SB700

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

SSD Raid on SB700

Post by hainer36 »

So I have 2 32GB Adata S592 and one OCZ Agility 30GB drives coming in soon. I want to know if putting these in Raid 0 will reach/surpass the bandwidth of the SB700 chipset.

I have a few options in my head for what I want to do. Since I have a Highpoint Rocketraid 2300 (4 port software Raid/PCI-E 1x) my 3 ideas are:

1. Onboard Raid 0 - Only if I will not exceed the limitations of the chipset

2. Use 2300 for Raid 5 - Will it give me similar speeds to Raid 0 but with some security of course?

3. Get another AM2+/AM3 mobo that has a chipset that doesnt bottleneck the SSD in Raid 0. Was looking at a 780a Chipset motherboard as Nvidia Chipsets seem to do amazing on Raid 0 bandwidth

I know that for Raid 5 I should use a hardware RAID card for best performance, but that's not in the budget. And if and when I use Raid 0, I will create a backup of the array consistantly for when it crashes. It will be used as an OS and some games drive.

Trying to figure out the limit on the SB700 southbridge, and how that will slow my total bandwidth of Raid 0. I can probably just pick up a PCI-E 4x card to make sure I have no limitations, but it'd be nice to use what I've got already
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: SSD Raid on SB700

Post by hainer36 »

Well after some semi-rigorous testing I have come to terms with the fact that the SB710 southbridge, SUCKS!

What I tested
32GB Adata S592 SSD
32GB Adata S592 SSD
30GB OCZ Agility SSD
Raid-0 with all 3 drive with a 128kb stripe

Less than stellar results:
First A-Data Drive
Second A-Data Drive
OCZ Drive

Benchies from the first A-Data Drive. HDTune 64kb, 512kb, 4mb. HDTach 8mb, 32mb

Benchies from the second A-Data Drive. HDTune 64kb, 512kb, 4mb. HDTach 8mb, 32mb

Benchies from the OCZ Agility Drive. HDTune 64kb, 512kb, 4mb. HDTach 8mb, 32mb

Disappointing benchies from the Raid-0 Array. 128KB stripe. HDTune 64kb, 512kb, 4mb. Hdtach 8mb, 32mb. ATTO

The ATTO actually shows some promise, however it seems that the chipset may be limited to under 350MB/S which is terrible. I will try a 64KB stripe tomorrow and update then