OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SSD Hanging On System Boot

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SSD Hanging On System Boot

Post by Apoptosis »

I just wanted to let you know I installed the Vertex 2 that I reviewed into the ASUS K42F Arrandale notebook and it has some boot issues. Every time it goes to sleep, hibernate or cold boots it hangs. I have to three finger it once and then it loads, but the Windows 7 splash screen takes 3-4 minutes. Something isn't right obviously. What is interesting though is that once it is on the desktop it feels fine. I updated the notebook BIOS this morning and it is running the latest build with AHCI enabled for the Windows 7 64-bit OS install.

Here is a picture of the laptop right now on the plane... I let it go to sleep and when I turned it on this is what I got... It's like this at any low power state... grrrr This is a nuisance and hope it doesn't crap out on me while i am in Taiwan. I just installed everything on it this morning too... I saw this error when Windows was loading for the first time and thought nothing of it... My mistake on that one.

Is this the low power state bug that was 'fixed' on Sandforce firmware releases 3.0.2 and later? I'm not sure as they don't have release notes on these drives... This backs up the story that I wrote here on these SandForce SF-1222 controllers!
vertex2_sleep.jpg
vertex2_sleep.jpg (32.79 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SSD Hanging On System Boot

Post by InspectahACE »

Bummer dude :(
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

This whole firmware fiasco reminds me of exclusive DLC. Customers aren't that loyal to stick to a brand (i.e. OCZ or Gamestop). Enough with all this nonsense and just release one product.

Sorry about your drive, it just helps validate my own personal feelings about SSD drives at this time.
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about27006.html#p175067
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Updated the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD from Firmaware 1.00 to 1.10 and it's still hanging... ;(

Both MP1 and MP2 have this issue.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Gujustud
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Gujustud »

I have the OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD, and I JUST had the same issue. The drive is completely dead. I've put it into a esata enclosure and tried to access it on my laptop and I get nothing at all. I JUST reinstalled windows a week ago on my system, and since that reinstall windows had activated the sleep mode, but in the year prior of having the drive, I've never had this issue once (with sleepmode disabled). Looks like its RMA time.
doghucat
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by doghucat »

I just RMAed an SSD OCZ Vertex 2 ex 120gig for only showing formatted 107 gig and also not giving advertised speeds, it was fast but not as fast as advertised and had no other issues just saw were they were replacing the drives with the 32gig die drives that format to 111gig.
Sandman/Intel C2D E8400 @3.00GHZ/ P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo / Xigmatik-1283 / 2-HD5670 Video-Crossfire / 4 Gig Kingston Ram / Antec P-180B Case
Notebook HP dv9720US 17" Wide Screen