10TB Hard Drive?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

10TB Hard Drive?

Post by Kaos Kid »

I have been in contact with a person (that seems to be legitimate) about buying a used 500BG WD Black HDD. I asked him to hook the drive up to his computer to show that it is recognized in drive management, and he sent me a screenshot jpg showing the drive hooked up and looking normal for an NTFS formatted drive (and named with my email addy so I know it isn't just a stock photo although I guess it could be photoshopped). BUT the funny thing was I saw another drive listed in his drive management that showed a capacity of almost 8200GB, which I assume would denote a drive that is about 10,000GB, or 10TB. Is that possible? What else would show in drive management with that much capacity? Something having to do with cloud storage? If it isnt possible to have a drive of this size, it would cast doubt on the screenshots' validity, but I don't want to dismiss this out-of-hand on the chance that he is on the up-and-up and just has access to cutting edge equipment. I won't be meeting with him until tomorrow nite so I have a little time to sleuth this out. Thanks for any help or insight you can provide...
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: 10TB Hard Drive?

Post by bubba »

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Ahhh yes, makes perfect sense. DUH! I didn't think of that because I have never ran a RAID before--I''ve never had the redundant money to run a redundant array, lol. Thanks, my friend, for the quick reply. Now to to get back to work on thinking of more dumb questions that only I don't know the answers to... :oops: :roll: :P
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

lol only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

There will always be someone that knows something someone else doesn't, I learn stuff everyday.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I asked the guy when I met him, and he said it was a "Drobo" with 4-2TB drives.

Well I ended up getting the SATAII drive since he had me come to his home so I knew he was on the up-n-up. I won't meet people anywhere else now BUT their homes anymore ever since that last guy ripped me off. This person was a really nice guy, can you believe I got the WDC 500GB SATA2 (currently $70 on the egg) and a Phillips/Liteon SATA DVD/RW for the total price of only $25? I can't believe the deal! It wasn't without snags though. I got it home and found that it had a GPT protective partition that neither my WinXPx86 nor x64 would reformat it correctly. I googled though and luckily found directions using command prompts in Win7 to wipe the GPT and then the EFI partitions (stubborn little boogers lol) and was able to repartition and reformat to a regular-type MBR for basic partitions in WinXPProx86. I normally use PowerQuest Partition Magic for that kind of stuff but it wouldn't work on this due to WinXP not recognizing those types of partitions fully. All should be well now.