Fast boot drive

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
KnightRid

Fast boot drive

Post by KnightRid »

As the title states, I am looking for a fast boot drive and was wondering what you guys and gals recommend.

I was going to snag a 1tb WD Black but I have bee reading a lot of bad comments on the recent ones failing quickly.

Also, I can not afford, nor would i pay the price for ssd right now. They are also too small as I want at least 1TB.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
FZ1

Re: Fast boot drive

Post by FZ1 »

If you got a small SSD, they aren't that expensive - $100 for this. It costs less than a 150GB Velociraptor and will blow it away. :-k
Joe
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

i agree with FZ1 there, cant beat the SSD although i would probably get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227542

you can always add a Dinosaur HD for space :)

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I have 5 other hard drives in this system, it's just the video reviews I do take a LOT of space while editing them. I am always removing the videos that are done from the boot drive and moving them to one of my 1tb wd green drives for storage. I was just hoping to get away from doing that so often (I only have a 200gb boot drive now).

I guess any 7200 rpm drive would be almost as fast as the other so unless i go with a ssd I wont notice any better performance. hrmmm....thanx for the answers so far!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

I'm very happy so far with my Intel SSD, cut my boot time in half.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

a cheaper alternative to a boot drive while gaining space, would be to go with 4 Seagate Momentus 7200 16MB cache drives in RAID-0 this one HERE which I am running 4 of these, or get 4 of these HERE. Granted they no SSD but they are fairly quick and when stuck in a RAID array are fairly fast as well.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Well, I could not afford a SSD unless I went with a tiny drive that serves no purpose except using it to boot from. I want somethign that will handle my video files fast also and ssd is too expensive for a decent size.

I also could not get 4 drives LOL to run in a RAID setup.

I settled for this - http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskstar- ... B003SX0ORU - Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm for $50 - wont help much on boot but it gives a ton more storage at a way cheaper price than SSD.

I have not run a Hitachi hard drive for a while as I normally stick with WD or Seagate. Let's hope the quality is there!