New SSD

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
jinxwolf69
Legit User
Legit User

New SSD

Post by jinxwolf69 »

I am getting ready to pick up a new SSD in the next week or two. I was just curious if there are any brands I should avoid currently? Also if anyone has a link for an exceptional deal on a SSD that would be nice also. I am looking at about 90-120gb space.

Thanks
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: New SSD

Post by Major_A »

Seems like the OCZ Agility 3 120GB is constantly on sale. I picked one up a month ago for $120 after a $20 MIR.
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShoc ... 01132012_2

This is a Shell Shocker so It's only good for today. But this seems to the the normal sale on the drive.

That being said most companies are all running a SandForce controller. The differences in speed are likely due to the RAM/NAND used and the firmware. That being said get a drive you like i.e. the case color, the bundle, the support, etc...
jinxwolf69
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jinxwolf69 »

After a littlle thought and debate, is there reallly any reason to get an SSD larger than 64gb if all i am doing is gaming and not real heavy gaming? Prolly save mysellf about $50-75 unless there is some justfiable reason to do it, but I am really thinking there isn't much really.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Food for thought...
1. A ton of data is written to your AppData folder in your Windows install drive. For example Rage created a 1GB cache file there even though I had the game installed on a mechanical drive.
2. Drivers (mainly AMD and nVidia) like to store old installer files on your Windows drive. I was trying to clean up my 64GB (2x32GB SSD RAID) drive and found that nVidia had over 1GB of old installer packages on my Windows drive.
3. The more space the drive has available the better the performance. I don't know for certainty that this statement is still true with newer SSD controllers but I know it was for the older drives.
4. You'll notice how much faster the SSD is an want to put more programs on that drive.

Lastly I have a 64GB SSD (essentially) and I wanted more capacity. I have a 120GB OCZ Agility sitting and waiting for me to stop being lazy and install it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
jinxwolf69
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jinxwolf69 »

checking prices between the 64gb and 120gb... if the agility 3 rebate is accurate then it is only $25.00 more which is hard to pass up. However I have had some issues with newegg's rebates not being accurate at all. Probably will splurge and get the 120gb based on your response anyway.

Thanks again