Ladies and Gents

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
skier

Ladies and Gents

Post by skier »

this is why you need to keep your OS clean and run transfer speed benchmarks every so often:

I got a laptop from work, and it has an i5 2.4, 4GB RAM, and was running slower than ell when I got it, so i figured okay, might as well get an 8GB kit of faster RAM, so i proceeded to do all in my power to speed up the machine, and ran CCleaner, and defraggler. at this point I found out that the PC had a SSD because defraggler threw a warning, so i ran crystal disk info to see if it way okay, and showed fine, so I ran CrystalDiskMark to see what transfer speeds I was getting, then I saw the issue:
Samsung SSD.jpg
and yes i got roughly the same result after running it again, apparently 5 other users had been set up on the laptop before me, so i decided a firmware update was certainly in order, otherwise the drive is toast, so i pulled it and formatted and ran the test again from my desktop at home since i'd have to wipe it to update fw anyway:

128g ssd.jpg
o.0 pretty big difference with a format, now lets see after FW update:

128g ssd updated.jpg

long story short:

SSDs require some extra work to stay peppy
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ladies and Gents

Post by Apoptosis »

why did you start out using CDM 3.0.1 and then switch to CDM 2.2. I don't think the scores are comparable.

Also, keep in mind the original firmware didn't support TRIM and Samsung later released TRIM supporting firmware. So you are seeing the impact that TRIM has on drives as well to keep them running in an optimal state! The Samsung PM800 with TRIM is a solid drive, but the original drive without the TRIM FW is slow over time as you saw.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
skier

Post by skier »

Apoptosis wrote:why did you start out using CDM 3.0.1 and then switch to CDM 2.2. I don't think the scores are comparable.

Also, keep in mind the original firmware didn't support TRIM and Samsung later released TRIM supporting firmware. So you are seeing the impact that TRIM has on drives as well to keep them running in an optimal state! The Samsung PM800 with TRIM is a solid drive, but the original drive without the TRIM FW is slow over time as you saw.
the first test was run at work, and the second at my apt, i didnt want to download it again as i had the old version on my storage drive already.

and I checked before i did anything that the TRIM flag was set (and you can see it set in CDI). it already was. unless the OS would say enabled regardless of whether the drive is supported

edit: ran it again after installing win7 ent, office 2010 pro plus, and all windows updates, with pagefile and hibernation disabled:
SSD after install.jpg
I would say its a bit snappier
-Austin
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

I wouldnt say you ran all windows updates.... (windows update icon is showing)

Also not really thinking clearly now, but isnt it preferable to run this tool on a laptop while it is plugged in to avoid any power saving? It may not matter like I said, not really thinking clearly at this point.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Question is: How long is that hard drive going to last and do you trust it. Sounds like you are putting a lot of time and effort into it? Is it worth it?
skier

Post by skier »

vbironchef wrote:Question is: How long is that hard drive going to last and do you trust it. Sounds like you are putting a lot of time and effort into it? Is it worth it?
if it dies then work will buy another one, and I'll reinstall at work on the clock 8) the other option was using a 7200rpm 160G seagate drive, which did get 105MB/s read/write, but i want this pc to be FAST, Quiet and run cold (at work I have ~8 IE tabs open at all times, a program that uses 100MB ram per session-and have several sessions up, one or two remote desktop sessions, outlook and Lync. i don't want it to feel bogged down throughout the day if i can help it)
egloeckle wrote:I wouldnt say you ran all windows updates.... (windows update icon is showing)

Also not really thinking clearly now, but isnt it preferable to run this tool on a laptop while it is plugged in to avoid any power saving? It may not matter like I said, not really thinking clearly at this point.
i just got the pc back up after rebooting and installing updates, it autoscanned and found a couple updates for office, and the only reason i mentioned updates was to give an idea of what had been installed to it as far as the space that had been utilized on the drive (what made up the 18GB of usage)

as for power I don't think it makes a difference because i disable all power options aside from sleep on screen-close because 99% of the time I use it, it is docked.
and i still got about the same speed results as when I had the drive in my desktop when i formatted it
-Austin