Sandisk Extreme SSD Dilemma

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Sandisk Extreme SSD Dilemma

Post by enjoiflip »

Hey guys, im having a dilemma now as this would be my first SSD purchase. Should i get 2 120gb Sandisk Extreme or get 1 240gb Sandisk Extreme? I ask this cos of the difference in specs, 23k IOPS and 39k IOPS respectively.Is that a notable difference in real performance? Also, i had this thought as i would like to partition my SSD so was thinking if i should just get 2 separate ones or partition the 240gb. Thanks a lot for the input :)

120GB** 240GB**
Performance** Sequential Read (up to)** 550 MB/s 550 MB/s
Sequential Write (up to) 510 MB/s 520 MB/s
Random Read ( up to)** 23K IOPS 39K IOPS
Random Write (up to) 83K IOPS 83K IOPS
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Sandisk Extreme SSD Dilemma

Post by egloeckle »

Get the 240GB drive. You will thank yourself in the long run.

The speed difference isnt going to be noticeable in real world usages. SSD's have such a high IOPs rating that you never really hit that limit in most real world scenarios. With most current drives, ssd or mechanical you never really see an IO problem outside of servers or some fairly extreme usages (mechanical drives its more the seek times that get you besides the speed issue).

It comes down to having to balance where you install/store stuff on 2 120GB drives vs just getting the 240GB one and not having to worry. I just went through the same decision and ended up spending the extra cash to just get a 512GB and be done with it (I was debating getting 2 240GB drives also).
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

What are your space requirements?

If 120Gb gets you by today, you might want to go with the 240GB for future growth and think of the extra speed as an added bonus.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by enjoiflip »

Hmm well I was already planning to get a 240gb and then partition it for my OS and my games respectively only. Then the thought of why not get 2 separate drives instead of a partition kicked in, and then the spec difference came about as well. So yeah that was it. :?

Im unsure if two separate SSD drives has its benefits does it? If there isnt any then i'll just go ahead with the 240gb like what egloeckle suggested! And btw egloeckle i read ur post about the SSD performance bug, when i do get this SSD i can test that issue your having with a p67 board as Im using a Asus p67 board, if you'd like.
Last edited by enjoiflip on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

You wouldn't get any performance increase if you partition it. I would just install your OS and games on one partition it.
enjoiflip
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by enjoiflip »

Oh the partition is just so that in the event of a reformat i just have to format the OS partition and not lose other data. And im quite anal of having games in a single partition, its just me :/
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I usually have a HDD as a second hard drive for that same reason.
Last edited by pwcmed on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

pwcmed wrote:I usually have a HDD as a second hard for that same reason.
Amen to that! Made the mistake once of having everything on one HDD, never again.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

enjoiflip wrote: Im unsure if two separate SSD drives has its benefits does it? If there isnt any then i'll just go ahead with the 240gb like what egloeckle suggested! And btw egloeckle i read ur post about the SSD performance bug, when i do get this SSD i can test that issue your having with a p67 board as Im using a Asus p67 board, if you'd like.
Let me know, I havent managed to come up with any other hardware to test this on my machine yet so I am curious what your results will be.