Help with new pc harddrive config

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Help with new pc harddrive config

Post by andy2583 »

I built a new pc recently, all is fine apart from one thing........

In my old pc, i had a asus p4s800 with 1x ATA harddrive which i had installed my XP pro, plus my games, music, photos etc etc etc !

I started to run out of space so i bought another ATA hardrive, i formatted this hardrive and used this just as storage putting all my photo's, music, etc etc on it leaving the original hard drive with just the operating system on all my software, games etc, basically everything i could just load back on at the flick of a switch !

Then i built my new pc, Lanparty 875p-t with a new SATA hardrive with my Xp pro on it and all the games etc

I then fitted both my old hardrives in on the IDE channel, then here's the problem.

The bios, device manager, disk management and windows see's the old hardrive which has the Xp Pro on (the orginal hd before i bought the second one) i saved what i wanted off this to my new sata one but...

The second hardrive which was my storage drive on my old pc, with photos, music etc etc (All my important stuff), Windows doesnt see it ? ? ? ? ?, the bios and device manager see it and all ok, but in disk managment is now says it's a Dynamic disk which is unreadable and also has a red cross over it !
The only option disk managment gives me is to convert it to a basic disk and it warns me that i will lose all my data on that drive, what ? ?

I have tried different jumper settings and cable positions, and bios adjusments to try and get this drive too work but nothing did !

What the hell do i do now ?

I hope someone can shed some light for me and help me out

Regards Andy :(
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

have you tried to just put it alone on the IDE chain and see if that gets you any where...

The next thing i would suggest is downloading a linux boot disk like knoppix and copying all your data from the "bad" disk to a good one.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

yes it's on the ide cable on it's own now, cant seem to get it to work what so ever !
can you explain the linux boot disk thing for me ? knoppix ?

Thankyou for you replys
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

http://www.knoppix.org/

It's a cd that when you boot from, it loads and runs a near full install of Linux....It boots straight into KDE (desktop)
I doesn't touch your HDD's unless you want it too...so usefull for testing too.
You can use it do copy/paste data from HDD's (hopefully)

If your going to use it, make sure to set your HDD controller to "Compatibility mode" instead of enhanced mode....I have a PC with the same chipset as you and it won't boot Knoppix otherwise.....you also might haveto disable USB2 to run the cd.....

It's a ~650MB download....but is VERY usefull and you also use it to learn the baiscs of Linux ;)
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

I know this may sound stupid but im having trouble making a bootable cd t put Knoppix on.....any help greatly appreciated lol
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Just download the .iso and burn it.....

DO NOT try and make the CD bootable first....It won't work that way!!!

Ken
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

Dunno man, i cant get it to boot tho, i have set the drive that the cd is in to the first boot device but it dont work ? ?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

what software do you use to burn with? open the .iso with nero.......

what happens when you try to boot from it?
Do you get a "TUX" symbol? Does it try to boot and give a kernel error or does it just boot into windows?

Also your using an intel mobo? 875/865 chipset? If so, go into the bios and set HDD to compatibility mode instead of enhanced mode....also try turning off USB2 => Knoppix by default uses kernel 2.4 (old) -> this is to support old hardware.....not good for us enthusiasts ;)
andy2583
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by andy2583 »

Ah ha i got it work, but it appears to be all in german lol, have i downloaded the wrong one ?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

no --> when booting type (without quotes)

"knoppix lang=us dma" or "knoppix26 lang=us dma"

"dma" is not required but its a free performance boots ;)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

just a thought - did you format the SATA in FAT32 by chance?

if not do you have an external drive case?
try that if you do...I have had that take some hard drives that my system wouldnt..its wierd, but so is windows :)

try putting a dvdrw/dvd/cdrw/cd drive as master, and then this drive as slave on the same cable - have had that work also - anyone ever notice how wierd computers really are..goofy.

what else.....oh

get the hard disk utilities form the manufacturers website and see if you can boot from that disc/cd and test the drive to make sure it doesnt have a bad sector or MBR, etc.

tis a shame you dont have that info backed up :(

also - did you have the 2 IDE drives in a RAID setup?

Mike

unless of course Kenc fixed you up, then all that typing was for nothing :p
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga: