Cloning an m.2 PCiE to another m.2

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Cloning an m.2 PCiE to another m.2

Post by sbohdan »

I know there is cloning software and this is not the issue. The issue is, how can I connect 2 m.2's phisicaly when there is only one m.2 slot on the laptop? is there a docking solution for m.2 ssd's?

Edit: Seems the solution to this would be an m.2 PCiE external enclosure, that connects via USB port :supz:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Re: Cloning an m.2 PCiE to another m.2

Post by KnightRid »

Or if you want the free method and you have the hardware and time, you could clone to either the other internal drive (if it has one) or any external drive and then swap M2 cards and reverse the procedure.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Thanks for the reply but I'mvisiting my sis in NY and her laptop has only one m.2 slot and she has no external drives. I found an external casing for an m.2 at micro center for $15.99 and a 1TB m.2 PCiE nvme SSD on sale for $99 (down from $299) and she is happy to get those, so I can fix her problem. Her Mac has only a 120GB slow Hynix as Apple likes to cut corners in everything thay can in their overpriced junk. I will also install windows 10 for her, as she hates the apple OIS and she already coonsidered buying a windows laptop for $1500 when I told her I can just put win 10 on her 2017 Mac. The new m.2 is also way faster than what she has in her Macbook air.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Update:

I just found out there is no way to do this. Apple changed the pin structure on their m.2's, so that other brands can't be used. Their m.2's are also overpriced, you have a choice taken away from you and this is not all! I was told by the sales guy that there are no m.2 nvme external enclosures for the mac drives at all! He said that apple doesn't want anyone to upgrade their existing drives, they want people to buy a new laptop with a bigger drive. Did I said that I hate Apple yet?! I think Apple is the most disgusting electronics company I've ever seen! I already knew they make undersized cooling in their laptops on purpose, so they break down sooner (heat is the number 1 killer of PC components) and as a result the specs they have are irrelevant because their laptops suffer from constant heat throthling, I also know their PC's and laptops are constantly behind 1 generation in technology compared to others, I also know they like to cut corners in their overpriced junk, using slow, often nameless RAM, SSD and other hardware, so that under the nice looking surface there are cheap, generic parts but this is just too much. I said that before but I will again: I will never buy an Apple product in my life. I'm boycotting everything that has anything to do with them!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

And this is why I NEVER buy Apple. People think Microsoft is controlling with Windows but they are not even close to what Apple does.

Apple's motto should be - since you could afford one of our products in the first place, then you can afford to buy a new one. Welcome to the Apple family.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga: