My hard drive hates me

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Inshali
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

My hard drive hates me

Post by Inshali »

got a quick question? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
ok this is what happend
the comp been on 24\7 for months and just put a dvd burner in and added nero 7 had to re-boot.
the hard drive started clicking real loud 3 times and wouldnt do nothing
I could see it in the bios and it would be reconised but when Id try and boot it would say hdd error, even with ghost it wouldnt be found.
did it just go the long fast death or is there any posibility to recover the data?
first time a hd has done this to me had to get out the old fathfull to get online to even ask here, dont laugh its a 500 cel first comp I built over 10 yrs ago but has never failed to do its best
got a 200 seagate and will have my amd back up today but is it a total lose or not?
oh abd by the way how do I get the 200 to be reconised as more than a 127 gig? bit new at larger hard drives
any advice would be helpfull
ty
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

Sorry, but that ticking sound is a sign of any HD's last gasp. When you hear that sad sound, it would be best to get any essential data off of that HD ASAP! :?
"Who' doing what now?"
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

if your bios does not support the new larger drives you wont be able to.

Now you could partition when you install windows and get use out of it - correct me if I am wrong there.

click click click dead.

Mike

you can try some recovery programs, or you can just use the backups that you have created daily, ok weekly, monthly? oh ok yearly..hmm...no backups huh.. :(
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Inshali
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Inshali »

thank you just got threw getting the amd going
yup tomato thats what I thought but its last gasp was all she wrote
hey guess what I got a new paper weight now,hmm what can I use the motor to build now? hmmmm thinking
Inshali
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Inshali »

KnightRid there is a way to make windows accept a larger harddrive but all that info was on My old hd! oops
FYI remember to do your backups lol
how else do you think ppl have 500 and 750 drives working, windows defalt is 120 gb i got 127 atm but I can look it all up again and :cry: start over
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

Since you just added the DVD drive... have you tried this drive, by itself with the DVD disconnected?

Also, what kind of drive is it? Some HD companies have some excellent tools to diagnose a failing drive.
hq5
Legit User
Legit User

Post by hq5 »

Try GetDataBack (http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm) or EasyRecovery (http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/) to recover your data.