Any suggestions on dead drive

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
NO TACT
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Any suggestions on dead drive

Post by NO TACT »

I have a Maxtor IDE 160gb dirve I had used for 3 years in my main rig as the main drive. It crapped on me. BSOD. I installed new drive, new OS, etc. Tried to slave this drive to retrieve my guitar backing tracks and miscellaneous files from. It shows a drive there but will not allow access to the drive in any way. I got an external shell and ried to USB it in too but again it shows a drive but will not allow access to the drives contents.

Any suggestions? The files are not precious just time consuming to get again via download from many, many sites so getting them off this dead drive would be great.
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

do you mean not allowing you to access as in access rights? you need to take ownership of the contents. right click on the drive>properties>security>advance>"owner" tab and change the owner to your current sign on.
NO TACT
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by NO TACT »

tnynyn wrote:do you mean not allowing you to access as in access rights? you need to take ownership of the contents. right click on the drive>properties>security>advance>"owner" tab and change the owner to your current sign on.
I will try this when I get home.
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

If the drive isn't working due to a physical problem, you can try putting it in several freezer bags. (So it won't get any condensation) and freeze it.

The cold will sometimes make a defective drive spin again. Of course, this is a do at your own risk situation.
hq5
Legit User
Legit User

Post by hq5 »

Try GetDataBack (http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm) or EasyRecovery (http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/) to recover your data.
NO TACT
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by NO TACT »

moon111 wrote:If the drive isn't working due to a physical problem, you can try putting it in several freezer bags. (So it won't get any condensation) and freeze it.

The cold will sometimes make a defective drive spin again. Of course, this is a do at your own risk situation.
As far as I can tell it is a physical issue so I will try this solution.
Bit_Cloud
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Bit_Cloud »

I would make sure that it is a physical issue, and try googling other solutions first. And, I don't mean to sound stupid, but is the drive assigned a letter, cuz my friend couldn't get his HD working one day as a slave, and it just needed to be assigned a proper drive letter lol.
NO TACT
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by NO TACT »

Bit_Cloud wrote:I would make sure that it is a physical issue, and try googling other solutions first. And, I don't mean to sound stupid, but is the drive assigned a letter, cuz my friend couldn't get his HD working one day as a slave, and it just needed to be assigned a proper drive letter lol.
Yes it has a letter and shows up in My Computer but when you left or right click on it it will say the content is unavailable after a 5 minute hangtime. Whether installed internally or externally.

I haven't done anything to it yet. Trying to find time.
Kalko
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Kalko »

You could try HDD regenerator, I have a friend who repaired 2 of his HD with it