Power supply and XFX 8600 GT

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
IssE
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Power supply and XFX 8600 GT

Post by IssE »

Ordering online because all local shops suck, budget I would like a cheap one since I wont be updating anything else other then this update. So cheaper would be better because Shipping + tax eats lots of money. Other then that any online store I am willing to buy it from if it has the psu I need
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

well since I still don't have a budget or store (I'm in US, all I know of CA stores is ncix, so this is from there), and I'm assuming 40-50$ from your second PSU question.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... Technology

Good SilverStone PSU.

That being said it makes no sense to not spend the money on a good PSU. Not like things change. Good a good PSU to future proof yourself. A Corsair HX520 will power 8800GTX SLI easily. But that's me. I've used the same PSU over multiple builds.
IssE
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by IssE »

alright thx, Ill look into it and hopefully order it soon. Question before that.. are all psu the same size? Like physical size. just wondering because if it does not fit it would really suck
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

On the DVI cord you said you dont have, are you sure its not in the box? I have purchased close to 50 LCD's and it they all came with DVI and Analog cords.
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

cheaper LCDs tend to not include cords
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

ahh, well i didnt think LG was considered a cheap LCD, ive only ordered Viewsonic, Samsung, Sony, and Planar (only 1!) and they all had them....

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
IssE
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by IssE »

Really, weird I have an lg 20.1 and I didn't get a cord.. or I forgot about it
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

When you get a powersupply, you need to understand that you have to get something reliable, under a reliable manufacture. Now there are TONS of manufactures out there, and so many that I or Johnny or SKYMTL know about. This psu, I purchased some years back, and only failed on me, due to short circuit from a bolt that fell into the fan hole (careful). Now you are probably thinking, who makes this PSU? Sparkle? wtf? Well, it is actually a Fortron brand PSU, but renamed for Sparkle. It is a very efficient PSU, and would work tremendously well with that system, and does not break the wallet at all. I actually used this PSU to power my old x1800xl rig a years back, so it is no slouch of a PSU.

Companys that I will only trust, are these brand PSU's:
- Fortron
- Silverstone
- Seasonic
- Xcilo
- Mushkin
- Antec
- The latest brand of Thermaltake (the 430w truepower was known for caps blowing)
- Ultra (X2, X2 Connect, Pro, X3, Xfinity series).
- Corsair
- OCZ
- Enermax (some forms, some other PSU's have more lemons then actual greens)

Now, some of these company's do not make their own PSU's, but rather have another company do it. For example, the GameXstream series I believe are from Fortron, and the Antec Truepower are from either Fortron or Seasonic. Silverstone are usually renditions of Seasonic based PSU's also. Dunno about Ultra or Corsair though.
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

i think the antec earthwatts are made by seasonic. great psu on a budget btw. read up on jonnyguru.com superb site for power supply reviews.
500w Fortron Blue Storm - DFI NF4-D (SLI & SATAII modded) - Opteron 165 @ 290x9 1.35v - 1 GB OCZ Value VX 3200 2-3-3-8 @ 230mhz - 2x 80gb Seagate SATA on Raid 0 - eVGA 8800GTS
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Im currently running an XFX 7600 GT on a 305W PSU. Ive got 2 SATA hard drives, DVD/CD burner, 2 gigs of ram, and a dual core processor... no problems as of yet, and the 7600gt requires a 350w.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

vicaphit wrote:Im currently running an XFX 7600 GT on a 305W PSU. Ive got 2 SATA hard drives, DVD/CD burner, 2 gigs of ram, and a dual core processor... no problems as of yet, and the 7600gt requires a 350w.
I'll top that I have a stock power supply that came in my pc back in the day.. like say 7 years ago at least. And that SAME POWER SUPPLY has been through a lot. my amd 2500xp (back when it was powerful) the nvidia 5700.. then upgraded to the AMAZING 6600ultra!! haha that was a pretty penny back then. with 512mb ddr
upgraded to a 1gb of ram and dvd burner with 4 hard drives 40gbx3 and the big brand new 80gb ide hard drive lol.
Then the same powersupply is being used up until newegg ships out my new case and powersupply say wednesday..
As of now its powering
3gb ddr2 ram pc2 6400
(2x512 2x1gb)
nvidia 8600gt
2 sata 320gb hard drives
20x dl dvd burner and cd burner with dvd rom
22 in 1 card reader
2x 80mm case fans
amd 3600 x2 64 overclocked to 2.7
sound blaster audigy
with printer mp3 player charging on it, and wireless card
not 1 problem EVER haha
I don't know what the big thing is with psus but, I'm guessing I'm just lucky with the one I have since I've heard a lot of people blow stuff up with thiers
ALL with my nice little +12v @ 14a and a total of a crazy 250 watts lol
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Great info on power supplies, each time I visit this forum I find useful info on the exact hardware I'm lusting on! I'm running a Soltec 550 PSU looking to upgrade it before I move into a high end video card.

One question though Is Soltec one of those PSU I should run screaming to the PC and rip out? lol
(Might be a problem my better half bought it for me cause it was pretty, but then again any better half that buys you hardware is a keeper)
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

I'm not to sure but, I know you can find out who makes your card. and the hardcore people will be able to tell you right away to stay away or keep it. But, for me and all my experience from the psus. I finally upgraded to the one that came in my cheap case from newegg. haha. retails for 15.99 (the psu) case was a bit more like 80 but, included the psu. I still have no problems. I'm running 2 blacklights, 3 120mm led fans, and 80mm case fan on my heatsink with 4 leds. and the rest is the same as the post above. I just upgraded that stuff since then I believe.
If you wanna sell your psu before you upgrade write me I'm interested if you can just email me with how many amps are on the +12v I'm looking for at least 25.
the only reason I wanna upgrade is so that I can get the 8800 series card. I am lucky but, that seems to be something worth being safe about.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

ps from my own experience the psu is more than enough from the sounds of it to run an 8600gt and your set up. make sure your volts on the 12v are at least 18a. That is what I'm using now
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Check this site for PSU rankings. Only downside is that it hasn't been updated since April 07.

I usually just check JONNYGURU.COM for PSU information.

I didn't see Soltec on there, so I would most likely rip it out. :lol:

As far as you guys getting lucky with cheap or underpowered PSU's...good for you, but remember someday they might decide to take a dump and take other parts with them. Better safe than sorry when it comes to a PSU, which is the most important part of your build.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

ibleet wrote:As far as you guys getting lucky with cheap or underpowered PSU's...good for you, but remember someday they might decide to take a dump and take other parts with them. Better safe than sorry when it comes to a PSU, which is the most important part of your build.
Amen Brotha!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)