cheap/effective cooling for 8600gts video card, to vmod & OC

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

cheap/effective cooling for 8600gts video card, to vmod & OC

Post by SepheronX »

Hey guys, been gone for a while, I know!

Anyway, I purchased a couple of stuff (Coolermaster CM 690 case, Scythe Mini Ninja Cooler, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo, and 8600GTS from EVGA), and I want to volt mod my 8600gts, and overclock the poop out of it. Unfortunatly, the stock cooler is pretty bad, as temps idle around 50 - 55 C, and it is quite frusterating, that I cannot overclock with stock cooling.

So with my next paycheck (not this friday, but next friday) I am thinking of picking up a new GPU cooler and conductive ink. So I am in need of something effective, and cheap (on other forums, I call myself mr Midrange, and you will find out soon why with my FAQ/guide im working on).

Here are some of my choices:

Arcitc Cooling Accelero X1: NCIX - $32 CAD (does this even work for the 8600gts? I am guessing not, as it will not work on the 7900 series)

Vantec Icerberq 6 cooler: NCIX - $30 CAD (mostly aiming at this one, as it blows hot air out of the case, rather then re-cuirculate the hot air).

Arctic Cooling Accelero S1: NCIX - $31 (also, another good one, but too large, may not fit a future audio card or NIC card in it).

Thermalright V2 Copper Passive cooler: Anitec - $39 CAD (If it fits on a 8600gts, then I can add a 92 or 120mm fan with the magic of zip-ties).

Got other suggestions, feel free to tell me.

Thanks!
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: cheap/effective cooling for 8600gts video card, to vmod & OC

Post by SepheronX »

oh wow, this site is really dead quiet here. *tumble weed bounces by*
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Thermalright with a ghetto 120mm on it looks like it would be a good choice. I'm not sure which of there coolers would actually fit on your card though.
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

I was also looking at the V2. I think it is supposed to fit, but the cooler is not even listed at thermaltake yet. The first one is not supported, but the S1 Passive is, and that is another option.

Damn, so many coolers, and so much incompatibility.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

It's not listed at Thermaltake because it's a Thermalright :P

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardware ... st14619%20
He even tests it with a 8600GTS, results with a fan are quite good. They also include fan clips and thermal paste.

Also:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/27/ ... page6.html
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

Oh, that would explain it.

I may just hold onto this card temp cause I may be picking up a HD 2900GT when they are released. Gosh, so many things to buy this month. World In conflict, HD2900GT, Half Life 2 Orange Box.