3D Vision is amazing... really makes your experinece your ga

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
shaolin95
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

3D Vision is amazing... really makes your experinece your ga

Post by shaolin95 »

Ok, I am not going to make it long, 3D Vision simply ROCKS!
No hardware upgrade I have done in many many years of upgrade bugs is able to match the experience 3D Vision delivers.
No matter how good you think Batman is right now (which is VERY good), the 3D Vision experience makes it just THAT much better.
You will see details you normally miss, you will be INSIDE the world the designer created.
Words cannot describe this faithfully but all I want to do with this thread is give you a little push to try it for yourself.
Go ahead and look for a demo location or ask for demos in the forum, whatever it takes but if you consider yourself a gamer, you gotta try this.
And please whatever you do, do not let some people's, err, misguided comments scare you. Most of the people that say negative things is people that never tried it.
Do yourself a favor and try it...if for some strange reason you do not like it or get some motion sickness or whatever, then at least you gave it a shot but so far, everyone who has seen it at my place have been blown away and that is only on my current 22" lcd (which btw , makes things oh so smooth at 120Hz).

One thing I also like is the fact that you can tweak the experience to fit your preferences...by tweaking the depth and convergence you can go from a deep inside the monitor look to a pop out type of effect look or somewhere in the middle...

Thanks for reading.

Some games I love in 3D:

Batman
RE5
Outrun (lol)
Jericho (amazing when gaming on 3D)
L4D
NFS Shift
NFS Carbon
COD 4 and 5
pretty much every games becomes a new experience when you try them on 3D.

Regards
Last edited by shaolin95 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*CPU: i7 920 DO @ 4.1Ghz 1.35v HT On
*CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
*Mobo: Evga X58 SLI / RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 1600 7-7-7-21 1.5v
*Video Cards:eVGA GTX660ti & Gigabyte GTX660ti
*Sound Card: X-Fi Prelude
*PSU: Corsair HX1000W
*Display: Mitusbishi 60" DLP (3D Vision Glory) 3D Glasses!!!
*Case: CoolerMaster HAF X (932 panel) *W7 64Bit Samsung 840 256GB
*Others: Roccat Kone XTD | Roccat Alumic | Logitech G15 |
*Mobile: Galaxy Note 2
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: 3D Vision is amazing... really makes your experinece your ga

Post by InspectahACE »

I wouldn't mind having 3D, but what scares me off faster than some dude's misguided info(or a dude in a skirt :yikes: ) is that, for that amount of money you have to get it working(new monitor and glasses) I could go for an SSD or even grab a 3rd GPU, heck better speakers even...Glad to hear you like it. Honest info is always welcome
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
shaolin95
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by shaolin95 »

InspectahACE wrote:I wouldn't mind having 3D, but what scares me off faster than some dude's misguided info(or a dude in a skirt :yikes: ) is that, for that amount of money you have to get it working(new monitor and glasses) I could go for an SSD or even grab a 3rd GPU, heck better speakers even...Glad to hear you like it. Honest info is always welcome
I understand your point BUT here is the important thing to consider neither the SSD nor the 3rd GPU are going to change the way you experience pretty much every game as dramatically as this. :mrgreen:
*Mobo: Evga X58 SLI / RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 1600 7-7-7-21 1.5v
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

If I could get a monitor as large or larger than the one I have now I'd be interested.

Stereoscopic shutter glasses are old technology. ASUS was making cards that supported that as far back as the TNT2. On a CRT monitor it worked so so. What they should have done was gone for some type of polarizing technology like RealD uses. This would have made the glasses cheaper and lighter.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

shaolin95 wrote:
InspectahACE wrote:I wouldn't mind having 3D, but what scares me off faster than some dude's misguided info(or a dude in a skirt :yikes: ) is that, for that amount of money you have to get it working(new monitor and glasses) I could go for an SSD or even grab a 3rd GPU, heck better speakers even...Glad to hear you like it. Honest info is always welcome
I understand your point BUT here is the important thing to consider neither the SSD nor the 3rd GPU are going to change the way you experience pretty much every game as dramatically as this. :mrgreen:
I haven't seen any of that stuff in action so I'll bow out on any opinions I have... but my birthday is coming up if you're feeling a tad generous lol :-k
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
shaolin95
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by shaolin95 »

Skippman wrote:If I could get a monitor as large or larger than the one I have now I'd be interested.

Stereoscopic shutter glasses are old technology. ASUS was making cards that supported that as far back as the TNT2. On a CRT monitor it worked so so. What they should have done was gone for some type of polarizing technology like RealD uses. This would have made the glasses cheaper and lighter.
I am going to try a 60" DLP LOL
I wish there was a middle size monitor too but still it is so worth it.
As for being old technology well, so is CRT and LCD for that matter but we keep making the better slowly. :mrgreen:
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Stereoscopic shutter glasses are old technology. ASUS was making cards that supported that as far back as the TNT2. On a CRT monitor it worked so so. What they should have done was gone for some type of polarizing technology like RealD uses.
The reason they are using shutter glasses is because polarized glasses require two video sources with one being polarized one way and the other polarized another. the lenses in the glasses are polarized the same way the video sources are meaning that for each eye one of the video sources is "blacked out" by the polarizing effect so each eye only sees one of the sources, the brain then interprets this as "3D". Best I can tell newer, single source RealD projectors use some kind of of shutter or rapidly changeable polarizing filter to alter the polarization of alternating frames, while this method does not require high refresh rates like shutter technology it does require either two projectors synced just right or an expensive electronic polarization filter.

Now.

The shutter technique works similarly but instead of a polarization filter the tv alternates frame information from two perspectives and is synced with the shutter glasses so that when one perspective's frame is being shown the shutter is opaque for one eye and transparent for the other then on the next frame the tv displays a frame for the other eye and the shutters are reversed. If you tried this on a 60hz set you would essentially be seeing two 30hz image sources being alternated one frame at a time for each eye which is too slow. At 30hz your brain notices the change and it would most likely make you nautious and give you a headache which is the reason it requires at least a 120hz set.

My only guess is they want to sell us shutter glasses and make more money. I really don't know if an electronic polarization filter costs more to produce then a 120 or 240hz set. If they go with the polarized technique then people will just use the cheap glasses from movie theaters and they can't rip us off.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Oh I'm aware of how the technique works in Shutterglasses. The problem is I have particularly sensitive eyes. I'm the kind of guy who notices the rainbowing effect on DLP TV's which is one of the main reasons I'm switching to a plasma for my home theater room.

When I experimented with them about 6 years or so ago I couldn't use them for any reasonable length of time as the shuttering effect produced as much flickering to my eyes as one of those flip comics you get in a box of Crackerjacks.

Now I will confess I've not seen nVidia's new technology that they're using with this monitor but it would have to be a night and day diffrence as not only would I have to buy an expensive monitor I'd need to use a slower GPU than the one I'm planning on.
shaolin95
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by shaolin95 »

Not sure what to tell you. If you are sensitive to DLP (is that even with newer or did you try the older slower color wheels?) then it could be a problem. Hunting down a demo location could be the better option for you.
As for getting a slower card, you can always get a GTX295 used which are going quite cheap now.
Regards
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Eh, I tried a demo at a tech shop in Cincinnati and it was alright, kinda gave me a headache after 3-4 minutes though, I'm more interested in Eyefinity though
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
shaolin95
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by shaolin95 »

3-4 minute demo, fair enough I guess....
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

shaolin95 wrote:3-4 minute demo, fair enough I guess....
Ahh actually I stopped playing cause of the headache, it was a full game they had on display, Need For Speed something or other
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
shaolin95
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by shaolin95 »

Ok so if it gives you a headache and you stopped in 4 minutes that is a good reason to stop, I was just surprised you were able to say it was "alright" when you barely tested it.
You need to fine tune the convergence and depth to your eyes and brain before making a final call on it, that is what I meant. :-)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

shaolin95 wrote:Not sure what to tell you. If you are sensitive to DLP (is that even with newer or did you try the older slower color wheels?) then it could be a problem. Hunting down a demo location could be the better option for you.
As for getting a slower card, you can always get a GTX295 used which are going quite cheap now.
Regards

Doing home theater installation part time I have to say I experience this with all DLP TV's. It's unfortunate. It's not bad enough to have prevented me from owning one for the last 3 years but it IS bad enough to warrent me not purchasing a DLP TV again.

I have no doubt that 3D gaming is the future of our hobby. Stereoscopic glasses are a good first start and they are a proven technology. I'm glad they no longer have a wire running to the glasses as they did in the earlier ASUS kits. It was interesting to play Turok in 3D back in the day but as STK pointed out the eye strain was to much for me. I, personally, would rather have a 24+ monitor that does 120hz than a smaller monitor capable of 3D.