I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Post Reply
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by deleted » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:26 pm

I found this ECS Black Series for $130 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814134078


and this Palit GTS 250 for $125 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814261062


I'm trying to find a card which is a big upgrade from my 9600 GSO for around $100-$140. I want to be able to play Bad Company 2 with at LEAST medium settings at 1440x900. My GSO barely maintains 30fps all on low @ 1440x900. All my other games run smoothly, I just think I should upgrade, any suggestions?

User avatar
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:51 am
Contact:

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by XstollieX » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:30 pm

didn't you just order a 5750 ? about25911-20.html#p167175

deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by deleted » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Would that be the best upgrade for my rig? I'm really thinking about staying with Nvidia now. And no I didn't buy that, my friend actually did for him self and not me :evil:

User avatar
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 2:03 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by pwcmed » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:20 pm

I am making a move to an Eyefinty setup I can sell you my 4870 for 140 with shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801

deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by deleted » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:57 pm

See Below. :axe:
Last edited by deleted on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by deleted » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:59 pm

I don't meet two of these requirements: PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode)


The PSU: I only have a 430w
Two PCI-E 6-pins: I only have 1


I did find a really nice 4770 for $90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150369

User avatar
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:28 pm
Location: Waukesha, WI

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by smack323 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:03 pm

I would go with a 5770 or 5750 - I play badcompany maxed on my computer in my sig at max resoulution for my monitor and it runs smooth. I am sure the 5750 would run it fine also.

On another note tho if you want to start upgrading your GPU your are going to need a new PSU.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - Asus GTX 1070 DUAL 8GB - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 27" LED

User avatar
skier
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4450
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Maine
Contact:

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by skier » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:51 pm

i'd work on your CPU first as in TF2 going from an AMD quad 2.6GHz (of which TF2 only uses one core anyway) with a GT240(9600GSO) gets 100- 200fps without much cfg editing, but a Pentium4 3GHz with a GTS 250(9800 GTX+) gets a steady 30fps if im lucky with a highfps config and much lower resolution that game is ALL CPU
-Austin
Image
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups

deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by deleted » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:26 pm

My CPU is fine for now at least in Source and Infinity Ward games. TF2 I can run at 80+FPS; 1440x900 with all highest settings except for AA which is set to 0 because it's a performance killer in ANY game. My PSU is decent for now as most cards only require a 450w, plus a video card only draws 60-120w at most from a PSU anyway. I'm just having trouble deciding on which card I want. It has to be $100-140, or less xD, require 450w or less, only need one 6-pin pci-e connector, and it has to be a significant upgrade from my 9600GSO.

User avatar
skier
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4450
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Maine
Contact:

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by skier » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Evasion wrote:My CPU is fine for now at least in Source and Infinity Ward games. TF2 I can run at 80+FPS; 1440x900 with all highest settings except for AA which is set to 0 because it's a performance killer in ANY game. My PSU is decent for now as most cards only require a 450w, plus a video card only draws 60-120w at most from a PSU anyway. I'm just having trouble deciding on which card I want. It has to be $100-140, or less xD, require 450w or less, only need one 6-pin pci-e connector, and it has to be a significant upgrade from my 9600GSO.


well, a GTS 250 draws 260W itself, and its the Amperage on the 12v+ rail(s) that matter NOT Wattage, which is being drawn from nearly every part in your system(from HDDs to CPU to Motherboard to videocard)
-Austin
Image
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups

deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by deleted » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Skier why aren't we friends on Steam anymore? You could tell all this to me there.

SteamID: Unlimitedarmy (Evasion)

User avatar
geokilla
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by geokilla » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:00 pm

skier wrote:
Evasion wrote:My CPU is fine for now at least in Source and Infinity Ward games. TF2 I can run at 80+FPS; 1440x900 with all highest settings except for AA which is set to 0 because it's a performance killer in ANY game. My PSU is decent for now as most cards only require a 450w, plus a video card only draws 60-120w at most from a PSU anyway. I'm just having trouble deciding on which card I want. It has to be $100-140, or less xD, require 450w or less, only need one 6-pin pci-e connector, and it has to be a significant upgrade from my 9600GSO.


well, a GTS 250 draws 260W itself, and its the Amperage on the 12v+ rail(s) that matter NOT Wattage, which is being drawn from nearly every part in your system(from HDDs to CPU to Motherboard to videocard)

Um a GTS250 does not draw 260W itself... There's only one 6 pin connector now isn't that? That means like 150W max I believe? Anyways I recommend the ATI 5750.

What PSU do you have OP?
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!

deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by deleted » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Antec 430w, I don't know the exact specs without opening my case. I open it nearly everyday and that's the one thing I never check, the PSU chart.

User avatar
skier
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4450
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Maine
Contact:

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by skier » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:33 pm

geokilla wrote:Um a GTS250 does not draw 260W itself... There's only one 6 pin connector now isn't that? That means like 150W max I believe?


well, system-wide, an E7200 system at 2.5GHz, with only the GPU at load(Furmark 1.7.0) uses 258W(and w/a GT240 uses between 96 and 160W (GPU idle/load), so its definitely more than 150W...) but that's not the point, the point is the 12v rail. look under the 12v+ part of the sticker and say how many amps it provides
-Austin
Image
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups

User avatar
geokilla
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by geokilla » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:56 pm

skier wrote:
geokilla wrote:Um a GTS250 does not draw 260W itself... There's only one 6 pin connector now isn't that? That means like 150W max I believe?


well, system-wide, an E7200 system at 2.5GHz, with only the GPU at load(Furmark 1.7.0) uses 258W(and w/a GT240 uses between 96 and 160W (GPU idle/load), so its definitely more than 150W...) but that's not the point, the point is the 12v rail. look under the 12v+ part of the sticker and say how many amps it provides

+1

You should be able to get away without changing the PSU but as skier said, check the 12V+ amps! If you do need to get a new PSU, check out the OCZ StealthXStream 500W. I got mine for $30AR CAD and it's running great!
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!

deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: I've Been Trying to Figure out What Card I Want....

Post by deleted » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:50 pm

The PSU Unit is actually a X Power PS-450w. I don't know the 12v rails and info, I'm someone could look it up and find it quickly.

Post Reply