And so my Step-Up adventure begins... and ends(?).

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

And so my Step-Up adventure begins... and ends(?).

Post by Kerii »

[email protected]
To: kerii@#####.###
Subject: EVGA Step-Up Request for P/N: 256-P2-N567-AX

Dear kerii,
This message is to confirm that EVGA has received your Step-Up request. Please read this carefully or you may void your warranty!

Step-Up Summary:
----------------------------------------------
Part Number: 256-P2-N519-AX
Serial Number: ##########
If you have any questions regarding the status of this RMA please contact us at [email protected] or call us at 888.880.3842 Mon-Fri 9am-5:30pm PST
Step Up RMA
Please ship all contains including accessories, CD's, manuals and the original packaging as part of the Step-Up terms and conditions. If you do not have the original packaging then make sure you pack the product safely in a secure box. EVGA offers no cross-shipping for Step-Ups. For full details visit:http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2
PACKAGING
Please make sure that you include all parts and accessories with the retail box when you send your product in. Please be sure to ship your return product to EVGA via a traceable air express company, which can provide you with a proof of delivery if necessary. (i.e. UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, Burlington or DHL).

TURNAROUND TIME
Unless otherwise specified, EVGA aims to ship the Step-Up product within three business days upon receipt of the Original card.

REPLACEMENT WARRANTY PERIOD
The warranty period for your replacement product is the remainder of the original product warranty. When you register your new step-up product with us please make sure you put in the original date from your original product.

QUALITY STANDARDS
This product is the requested video card model that you submitted for in the Step-Up request has passed the same quality standards as our new product. If you are returning product from a location outside of the United States, U.S. Customs requires that a Commercial Invoice be attached to your shipment for importation. Please note that you do not need to pay any invoice sent out with your replacement product. This paperwork is sent to explain at customs that the product is merely an "in-warranty" replacement.

EVGA'S VOID WARRANTY POLICY
By way of example product received from customers evidencing any of the following conditions are NOT eligible for "in warranty" replacement:
-- Inadequate packaging

Some examples are:
-- Multiple products packed into a single box without separators to prevent contact with adjacent products.
-- Products packed in boxes without protective cushioning.
-- Products shipped with Styrofoam peanuts only.
-- Products where the EVGA Serial Number has been removed or defaced.
-- Physical damage to the product i.e. a broken or dented printed circuit board assembly.
-- Components added or removed from the printed circuit board.
-- Water Damage due to modification to the GPU using a water block of any type.

Any missing or broken components belonging to the returned product are subject to a 15% penalty fee based of the MSRP Value of the video card. If the original stock cooling system has been modified or replaced with an After-market cooling solution, it will have to be returned to its original manufacturing condition before sending for warranty. Failure to do so will result in rejection of warranty service and void the product's warranty.

You will be notified via email once your RMA request is ready for additional processing.
(content trimmed to essentials)

The card I requested is backordered (7900GT KO Superclocked*), so they'll get back to me whenever that may be. :P

*Same price as my 7800GT CO with "free" nForce4 SLI motherboard.

And hopefully, it will go smoothly. If not, at least I'll have a record of my experience. :P
Last edited by Kerii on Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Imakeholesinu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Imakeholesinu »

Did you have to send the board back too or just the card?
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Just the card.

At the time, the pricing made it that I saved maybe only $10 buying them bundled together, but the way it was marked on the invoice is that I bought them separately and that the price of the motherboard was discounted. :P
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Looks like I've got a bit of waiting to do.

Hopefully it won't take too long.
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

hey when u get the new card tell me if the fan is noisy. i've been hearing it is and it isnt.

altho the stock X1900XT fan is noisy, i have an X1900XT...then i got the zalman vf-900....ahh my ears.
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

evga's step up is really amazing.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

very similar to what ATI have been doing for many years... i remember i had the option of trading in my old Rage 3D chipset for a Rage 128! :p
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Pretty sure ATi changed that a couple years ago.

You only get $50 for the card no matter what it was, and then you get to pay their outrageous MSRP prices from the ATi Store. :P

Program looks to be floundering by the looks of the website.

The PDF form still makes mention of "trading up" to a 9800. :lol:
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Holy crap! 26! I've moved up ONE WHOLE PLACE!

At this rate, I'll have my 7900GT in December 2007. :mrgreen:
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

At least you have something to step up to. By the looks of it, the 8-series isn't coming out till September! DAMN! I thought I'd be able to Step my 7900s....I got OWNED.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Well, took them nearly two months, but I'm finally seeing some real activity.
Dear Kerii,

EVGA is happy to announce that your Step-Up product, 256-P2-N567-AX, is ready for processing. At this point you must fax in a copy of your purchase receipt to 714-528-4501 for us to confirm against your current Step-Up information. Make sure to include your name and serial number with the fax, mail, or email.
To mail your invoice in send it to:
ATTN: Step-Up Request (Add your name and serial number)
2900 Saturn Street Suite BBrea, CA 92821

Or, you may also email us an electronice invoice/receipt at [email protected].

Once that information has been approved we will contact you and let you know that you may pay for the Step-Up. If your current information does not match your receipt then we will contact you to let you know that we will be adjusting your price accordingly. If you have any questions you can email [email protected].

Thank you,
Joe Darwin
EVGA Marketing
[email protected]
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Don't be to harsh on EVGA about the backorder/your order time frame.

The 7900 OCed KO from them have been giving them issues with a higher than normal RMA due to problems with them pushing the chip so hard. They are aware of it and working to remedy the situation. My guess is they may be stalling you untill they get it resolved.

Go to New EGG and read a lot fo the customers feedback on the EVGA card.

My last four Video cards have all been EVGA. I have not had a problem with any of them. They make a great product and seem to stand behind what they do sell. I think the 7900 problem is/was one of those unforseen issues/problems. It happens!

The non OCed models of the 7900 don't seem to be giving anyone any problems that I am aware of.
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Actually, the product I requested for the stepup is a 7900GT KO SuperClocked.

Yeah, not complaining, hell they're the only company that offers anything like this, and with such a lenient warranty.

On the other hand, they promised a service or incentive for purpose of making the product more appealing to buyers, but are taking so long on it.

Anyways, not a big deal for me. From what I've seen on the forums, the problem has primarily been with sub-par batches of memory, especially for the factory overclocked models.
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Just came in the mail:

Thing is, I can't use it, because I sent the 6-pin power plug adapter back as directed, and they didn't send one back. Didn't send back DVI-to-VGA adapters either, and my monitor only has a VGA connector. Am I expected to go buy these for $5-$10 each at CompUSA?

The VIVO "octopus" cable is missing as well.

I do appreciate the voucher for a downloadable copy of HL2:Ep1, but really, I would have been happier to be able to get my card in the mail and be able to use it right away.

So anyways, just a heads up for others as to what you're going to be recieving. And a warning if you really have need of those accessories, because as it seems, you won't be getting them back.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

the step-up process took you over 2 months and you are missing pieces now? No way...
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Apoptosis wrote:the step-up process took you over 2 months and you are missing pieces now? No way...
Yeah, that was my reaction too.

Posted up the same topic up on eVGA's forums to see if this isn't a mix up of some sort, and if others have had the same experience.

Anyways, my regular computer does run now, but without the power lead the card's only running in low power mode and obviously can't play any games.

I'm gonna see if I can fix that improperly molded connector on my SmartPower 2.0, and see if I can find the DVI-to-VGA adapter from one of my old cards. Then at least I'll be able to use the card, if not VIVO anymore.

Going to write their customer support too and see if this isn't a mistake.
Last edited by Kerii on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

if you want to post up an editorial for the main site on your expierences and the wait I'd be more than happy to post it for you. You have a nice paper trail and it would make for an interesting need. Reviewers tell people how great the step-up program is, but don't use it.
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Guess a little writing couldn't hurt.

Can't be letting eVGA get away with this, even though it's still a good deal if I had to go buy the accessories elsewhere. :P

In either case, I've found my old DVI-to-VGA adapter and managed to carve up the PCIe power plug just enough that I could force it into the card's supplementary power connection.

infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

i can at least send you some DVI connectors for free just PM me your address so i can stalk you... I mean send you some :P
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Thanks, but no need. I just swiped the DVI adapter off one of my other cards that doesn't need it. :P

Either way, got a response from a moderator on the eVGA forums. Says its possible they mistook my Step-Up for an RMA and only sent me a card.

Can't say I'm surprised considering they give Step-Ups an RMA number just like they do for Replacement RMAs.

Looks like the place where they determine who gets a retail box and who gets an OEM is right on the packing line.

Oh goody, more waiting. :P

Guess I'll start that draft and finish it up if it does get sorted out in the end. :P