Posted this in the news forum...but it's G80 so 2x post=OK

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Posted this in the news forum...but it's G80 so 2x post=OK

Post by Sovereign »

Want to see G80? Then click the link. And be shocked. Water cooler built in to one of the cards, both have DUAL PCI-E power connectors....geeze these are the Prescotts of the videocard world...
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Now that's big... 700 million transistors big according to The Inq.

dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

there gonna have to do some big things with gpu and cpu heatwise if there ever want to implement them in the same package
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Ouch, and is this 80nm?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

DMB2000uk wrote:Ouch, and is this 80nm?

Dan
Nope, 90nm........Looks like they don't want to take the risk of a die shrink.....they got burned before doing that.

I doubt they are planning to intergrate such a complicated gfx core into the cpu either.....@ least not for a long time..
Cpus might have a geforce2/3/4 core added....but not much else........not until 45nm and smaller
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Yeah its 90nm look at that die size!

Here is some info from NvNews

Sounds like the GTX is the way to go with this one. This card is going to be a beast, it reminds me of when the first Geforce came out. I was freaking out when I heard it had 32mb of DDR Ram and now this has 768mb of GDDR3 (still I dont know why not Gddr4) Also notice the dual sli connectors wtf?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

but still early prototypes must be hitting at least 100+W. I don't like the integrated into one die idea. Go the specialized route. For example 4 cores, 1 graphic core, 1 northbridge/Southbridge core and 2 cpu cores. When they start hitting ridiculous amount of cores, imagine how small the boards can get? All you need is Memory Slots, Peripheral slots and a socket. But then overclocking might get harder. I mean were gonna need individual core control, so your not ocing everything. But I'm going off point
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

HONkUS wrote:Yeah its 90nm look at that die size!

Here is some info from NvNews

Sounds like the GTX is the way to go with this one. This card is going to be a beast, it reminds me of when the first Geforce came out. I was freaking out when I heard it had 32mb of DDR Ram and now this has 768mb of GDDR3 (still I dont know why not Gddr4) Also notice the dual sli connectors wtf?
could be triple SLI. Think about it, one connects to one card, the other connects to the third. ATI is comming out with a new Crossfire, so NVIDIA probably did it just to stay ahead
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

The Inquirer wrote:The new SLI is dual rail stuff. It is ironic that ATI was the first to introduce such a connector that will let you have read and writes performed at the same time
G80 is big, hot and sports new SLI
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Closer look: http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/2872 ... _G80_2.jpg

So, with two SLI connectors, does this mean potentially infinite chains of SLI capable cards? :mrgreen:

If you can do three in a |_|-| configuration, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to keep going with |-|_|-|_|-|_|-|_| etc.

Or would the new SLI require a direct connection for secondary cards to the primary card?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you could daisy chain a bunch of cards together and actually ATI is leaps and bounds ahead in that sense as their data can flow bi-directionally between the cards with their current CrossFire solution with the bridges. The main limiting features are power...

The G80 has three PCIe power headers -- the PCIe slot (75W) and two 75W PCIe 6-pin connectors from the PSU... meaning each card has the ability to pull 225W from the power supply although it doesn't really need the third power header (an example of this is the picture of a pre-production card above that has a sinlge 6-pin PCIe power header.... ATI's X1950XTX pulls more than 150W at times, but it doesn't have 3 power sources... Nvidia played it safe and used three this time around. If you daisy chain a bunch of say G80's together at 225W a piece a 1000W power supply wouldn't be able to handle the power of four of them and the rest of the system as it would pull more than 1000W on paper. Of course this would be peaks and not sustained, but pulling that much power is just insane if you ask me... One G80 put a smile on my face.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

my question is when?!!??!??!??!

I am hoping to build a new sys at the end of this year, and my only stopping points are CPU and GPU.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

when what?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

well gee.. since everyone breaks NDA I guess I'll let you know there is a problem with the 8800GTX...

Our 8800GTX is one of the cards that is impacted and are waiting for a new card to arrive and send our old card back...